Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 F250 7.3L Turbo Diesel - Worth it to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
95 F250 7.3L Turbo Diesel - Worth it to Fix?

At work a guy dropped off a toy truck of his after the fuel injector connectors burned up and is making a big deal out of the cost of almost $1,000 to do the repairs including parts and labor. He doesnt know if the transmission is going out or not.

Thing I am curious about is, is it worth fixing. The guy doesnt think the truck is worth $1,000 and I was thinking about offering him a few hundred for it since it doesnt run. I dont know **** about this type of truck or this engine. I know its a dual fuel tank F250 long wheel base with a gooseneck attachment as well as a 2 or 4 wheel drive shifter other than that dont know what kind of city/highway miliage this thing gets (Im sure its very poor miliage) nor if its even worth fixing up. I know the guy will most likely part it out since were not going to do the jerry rigging repairs he wants us to do just to see if the transmission is sound.

If it is worth repairing and the miliage isnt insanely poor about what does one of these trucks go for value wise? I tried looking online but I got to get ready for work in a couple hours and that isnt enough time for me to do my research.

Other thing, the aftermarket steel bed rail with integrated rear window slat guard as well as the black iron brush/push bar that this truck had installed in it, how much are those worth? I was seriouslly thinking about telling the owner to get rid of that gaudy heavy junk and ill take just the plain truck but I am now wondering how much their worth might go the whole route and just sell that off myself to pay for repairs.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-rwhp-vid.html Go for it.
If auto the trans will be an E4OD.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lazy K
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-rwhp-vid.html Go for it.
If auto the trans will be an E4OD.
Yep its automatic, has a 4L 4H, 2L 2H shifter on the floor for the 4x4 settings.

I am really impressed with the truck and like to get into diesel but I kind of am concerned with miliage considering the cost of diesel fuel now adays. Not going to be a work truck, I do inspections as well as mechanical work as well but have always wanted to get more into trucks especially diesel.

I know I am leaning towards $200 since the parts alone to get the engine running again is $500 and I never heard it run so it might be a lemon for all I know. Atleast I feel with $200 offer I could get that out of scrapping/parting it out.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Mileage will depend a lot on what the gearing is. The Power Stroke diesel is computer controlled so lots of programmers out there.
If you go down to the Diesel Section and click on the Power Stroke page you will get plenty of info in the Stickies about the engines.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Mileage will depend a lot on what the gearing is. The Power Stroke diesel is computer controlled so lots of programmers out there.
If you go down to the Diesel Section and click on the Power Stroke page you will get plenty of info in the Stickies about the engines.
Ah ok I will check it out. I know the truck as of now is still at the shop so I can get codes off the truck when I go in at 9

Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
You will get a list of PSD codes in those Stickies I told you about. With the right scanner you should also get any trans codes as well.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
You will get a list of PSD codes in those Stickies I told you about. With the right scanner you should also get any trans codes as well.
Oh we have a Snapon live data scanner as well as a cheaper autozone scan tool. I am looking at the PSD codes right now.

I just copied and pasted them to my flash drive, when I go in ill plug in and see if theres any codes. I know he said that the transmission did take a moment to shift into gear so the transmission might be worn or low on fluid.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html Have a read through this live thread.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
In good running condition it's worth atleast $6000. I've seen some 7.3 Powerstrokes listed for 10k+!! If he'll take less than $1000, jump on it. (or atleast send him my way ). With the right mods these trucks can get 20+ mpg (hwy).

Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
$1,000 for that repair seems high. The wiring is right under the valve covers (which have reusable gaskets even). The connector pieces themselves I doubt are very expensive (maybe like $20 each, total 4 at a dealership). The injector wiring is known to melt the connectors on these trucks, so a reputable shop would be aware of that.

If you scroll through the 1st-gen PSD forum, you'll see a few guys and gals have already done the wiring repair.

I could be wrong though, I might have missed something in the original post

Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dizzyfingers03
$1,000 for that repair seems high. The wiring is right under the valve covers (which have reusable gaskets even). The connector pieces themselves I doubt are very expensive (maybe like $20 each, total 4 at a dealership). The injector wiring is known to melt the connectors on these trucks, so a reputable shop would be aware of that.

If you scroll through the 1st-gen PSD forum, you'll see a few guys and gals have already done the wiring repair.

I could be wrong though, I might have missed something in the original post

Yep it came out to liek $800 including labor. The parts from ford was list priced as $450 or so. The problem is though the wiring connectors are bad as well as the valve cover gasket connectors.

Its not a major problem I can fix it myself I am just wondering if the truck is worth fixing. I have wanted to get into diesels but I want a good fuel economy one as well. I heard these 7.3`s are the better engines. I also found out its a C5 axle and its a two speed axle with a high and low gear. The guy told me he doubt the truck is worth $1,000 to spend the $800 for the repair and theres the chance the transmission might need to be replaced. Said it takes a while to go into gear from park. Told me to take and jerry rig it to get it running to check the transmission out. I have yet to tell the guy but next time he comes in I am going to tell him to take it to a transmission shop. Im not about to pull the valve covers and jerry rig the wiring wasting my time when I could fix it the right way off the bat.

So I am hoping he will want to sell it and since he says he doubt its worth over $1,000 I will see what he wants for it if he desides to sell it and offer him $200 since Id have to get the engine running. This girl I know who is into trucks told me when I texted her some photos of it at work said she would offer $300 - $400 which I might do. I am sure I could get a couple hundred for that gaudy iron push/brush bar up front and another couple hundred for the iron bed rails with integrated window protector.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck like that in good shape is worth an easy 4-5k in running condition. If you can score it for 500 or less Id say its a deal.

Expect to get about 13-15mpg in town and 15mpg+ highway. For the price Id jump on it myself.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Definitely worth it.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
He's almost giving it away at that price.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by zxwut?
He's almost giving it away at that price.
Yep he came by today to pick the truck up hes going to do the work himself cause he didnt like the $500 part cost for the overhaul kit for the wiring harness from Ford. So we sent the $500 kit back and now hes left with jerry rigging it and driving it back to his shop.

Id offer him $200 to take it off his hands but hes not interested so no big deal. I know a guy that can find me one in running condition and with a perfect body for $1500

Quick Reply: 95 F250 7.3L Turbo Diesel - Worth it to Fix?