6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Gearheads V Innovative

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gearheads V Innovative

OK, I am finally going to tune my 6.0. It is completely stock, except for EGR block off, EGR cooler delete and Coolant filter. NOT STUDDED. NO BIG EXHAUST.

I have contacted Innovative and they offer the SCTX3, which comes with three custom tunes (including EGR Ignore) for $429, free shipping.

I could not get ahold of Gearheads but left a message. It looks like they offer the SCT for $425, BUT they also charge additional $$$ for custom tunes and shipping...

Is there any reason I should go with Gearheads, over Innovative? I would like to order this things ASAP and it looks like Innovative might be an overall lower price and easier to get ahold of...

Any input if appreciated. I really want to pull the trigger soon.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matt has a daily job that he goes to. he only accepts calls between 5-10pm. if you email him though you get a quick responce normally. ive heard some bad things about innovative after the sale. they dont like to get back to you after the sale about your tunes if you dont like them. matt has great customer service and awesome tunes!!! thats why i went with him

Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
EddieEX10
Senior User
I am happy with the service and tunes that I received from Innovative. Can't comment on the other vendor as I have no experience but I would recommend Innovative if someone asked.

Good luck with your purchase.

Make sure you send you truck configuration when you place the order. The programmer will customize the tune based on your mods.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just ordered tow tune from IDP and Eric got back to me the same day..

and I CAN comment on other vendors by only saying I went back to innovative

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks. I am off to work right now but will check back on here when I get home. Please keep input coming, Thanks.

P.S. I will hopefully hear from Matt today too, so I can get an answer on the cost difference. It might be that I misinterpreted Gearheads website pricing. I'll post up if I find that the two are actually comparably priced, or whether there really is a couple of hundred dollars difference between the two... I'd hate to be posting bad information here...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
WWBeast
Elder User
I have had ID tunes on for about 2 years, love them, i run the extreme street with some modifications. The power is good, shift is pretty firm but thats fine. Eric will customize the tune any way you would like it. I have had nothing but positive experience with ID.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I've been keeping my eye on both IDP and gearheads. Over the last year or so I've read nearly every post about these two. What I have read when I get my tuner I will only go with matts tuning or nothing. This is due to a few posts about Eric not haveing the best of customer service rating. And I have read quite a few threads were the truck has blown HG's and the poster stated hes running Eric's tunes. To be fair you have to pay to play but. I have never read anything but straight positive things about Matt and his tunes. I read all the time how much better the tranny shifts with Matt's tunes as well. Big positive for me becasue I hate the way the stock tune shifts.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Quad411
Junior User
I was in the same boat as you. I didnt call innovative, I e-mailed them, the first e-mail, they replied in a timely matter, but when I started to ask questions, they never got back to me. I ordered tunes from Matt at Gearhead, the customer service was great, I contacted him through e-mail, and he e-mailed me back right away. He was out of town when I was looking at getting my tunes, but had the file with him, and e-mailed them to me that night. I ran my SCt tuner on race mode for a year, and then last week I finally put in gearhead's tune's for a non studded truck, and all I can say is WOW.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
caere
Senior User
I have had good dealings with Innovative. Eric has always gotten back to me.

I have my own business with website and I am always juggling replying to "window shopper" and actual customers questions. Sometimes it's hard to get anything done when you wake up to 100+ emails every day.

Be patient, trucks are awesome but family and a little time to yourself keeps you sane. I try to keep my questions to Eric short and simple. Sometimes it takes a day or two but he always replies. If it's an emergency or installation questions regarding products he has supplied, he responds very quickly.

I haven't dealt with Matt but he sounds like a good vendor too.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
scameron
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've had great customer service from ID, but i purchased my tuner almost 2 years ago. Eric was always quick to get back with me. Matt's service has been excellent. great guy to chat with also. i'll give you my expericence with tunes from both individuals. now this is for my truck; which everyone's trucks seem to act different. also, if you go with either one, my vote is for either the extreme tunes from ID or the SRL from Gearhead.

ok my experience, I ordered my SCT from ID and Eric sent me 4 tunes (sent me one i didn't want then sent the one i did want no charge), Ecomony, Aggressive Tow, Street, Agressive Street. All tunes with the EGR off. I ordered Matt's tunes a few months after and loved the low end power of the SRL but the shifting was horrible. Transmission acted completely confused; same with his Street tune. All my custom tunes from both tuners where programmed for stock head bolts. So I stopped running Matt's tunes for a while and ordered Eric's Extreme Race tune. however, he sent me his Extreme street tune instead. I informed him of this and he sent over the Extreme Race tune at no charge. So 2 Extreme tunes for the price of one. Nice... So, i run the Extreme Street tune as my daily now. have for over a year. i contacted Matt earlier this year because my SCT wouldn't recognize his tunes (i wanted to try them again). He sent over new ones with a revised transmission tune. The tunes worked 90% better, but i still didn't like the shifting. here is what i notice between the 2 tuners. Matt's SRL tune has a ton of low end power. pulls really hard. transmission shifts are not very crisp and accurate (with my truck). i love the low end power tho. Eric's Extreme Street tune pulls pretty good to about half pedal, then feels like a 200 shot nitrous was just sprayed. pulls like crazy and shifts spot on. lots of top end power. i like Matt's tunes for the low end and Eric's for the shifting.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Never dealt with Innovative...heard good and bad. I personally have Matt's tunes and I love them and have NEVER EVER read anything derogatory from anyone on this board. From what I read his shifting is hands down the best and I tend to agree. Even my wife mentioned how great my truck shifts compared to the other canned Superchips 1704A and SCT canned tunes I was running before my purchase.

I am non studded and have been running his SRL for less than a month and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about Innovative, only lots of good. Eric spent a ton of time on my custom tunes getting them how I liked them. Amazing customer service.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I never heard back from Innovative after I bought my tune I emailed I called and left messages ETC
I got cheesed and went with Matt
I actually have never waited more that a day for a response from Matt and that is weekends included

I really like My tunes now and have $130 worth of ID tunes parked on my comp with a weeks use

plus Matt does a better job of handling the CEL light IMHO

Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
I never heard back from Innovative after I bought my tune I emailed I called and left messages ETC
I got cheesed and went with Matt
I actually have never waited more that a day for a response from Matt and that is weekends included

I really like My tunes now and have $130 worth of ID tunes parked on my comp with a weeks use

plus Matt does a better job of handling the CEL light IMHO
Strange. Eric always got right back to me, even on Sundays.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen a whole thread on erics response time
it's hit or miss and this was a year ago for me ,, so maybe it's better ?

Quick Reply: Gearheads V Innovative