1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 Backup Camera install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Backup Camera install

I installed this Pioneer camera and connected it to my Pioneer z130bt head unit.

Remove door panel. The bottom part has 3 screws. 2 screws in the handle and 1 screw that you will see once you pop off the top panel around the window.
Remove the 4 bolts that hold the license plate housing.

Here is the spot where the OEM camera option would go. I'll put the Pioneer camera in the same spot.

Drill a hole with a step up bit

I just glued the camera in place. It's solid. I get a big stick of black hot glue, like what goes in a hot glue gun, but I don't use the gun. I heat up the end of the stick with a propane torch, and then rub the molten glue where I want it. Its a little messy, but it bonds good, and flows into crevices a lot better.

Installed the license plate housing back in the door and then ran the wires through the door jam hose and up the passenger side, behind the trim panels and under the door sills, up behind the passenger kick panel, behind the glove box, and then it plugs into the back of the head unit.

Camera on the left, Navigation on the right.

Full Screen when you put the vehicle in Reverse.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Playing a DVD.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM
SilverE350
Senior User
Nice.

Did you ever install the spring spacers? How about the F Series grill?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
Spacer and Bilstein shocks getting installed tomorrow. The F grille doesn't fit. Totally different mounting. Plus it's more curved.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
I got a better view by installing the camera above the door (and below the center-brake light) rather than license plate - type. It was a widescreen view, rather than a "keyhole" view. Plus a lot less blinding if you have headlights behind you and want to activate the camera.

In addition to reverse-gear, I also installed a switch that I could turn-it on on-demand. Very handy actually.

For the display I settled on a 7" diagonal rearview mirror/monitor, not on the HeadUnit. I just felt more natural that way, since the habit is to look on both side-mirrors and center mirror.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
I just press a button on the touch screen and I can have the camera on all the time, plus still see part of my navigation screen. I can see both corners of my bumper and also see the roof top of that house across the street, so the convex lens let's you see everything that's behind you. The camera auto-dims when cars headlights shine on it. Plus the camera is protected from theft and rain, but it is waterproof.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by Killer RC
I just press a button on the touch screen and I can have the camera on all the time, plus still see part of my navigation screen. I can see both corners of my bumper and also see the roof top of that house across the street, so the convex lens let's you see everything that's behind you. The camera auto-dims when cars headlights shine on it. Plus the camera is protected from theft and rain, but it is waterproof.
Good that it works for you. I hated looking into the Head-Unit in my wife's SUV. Personal taste I guess. My camera did stick out high in the back, but luckily have not had a break-in in NYC. Camera was very helpful when parking in the City, when sometimes I would have family's bicycles on a hitch-rack.

Does your camera have night-vision?

Last edited by Henry10s; 04-26-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
redtanrt10
Senior User
Killer,

thanks so much for posting this. I bought a real nice pioneer unit with camera imput, DVD, bluetooth, USB plug etc 3 months ago but haven't had a chance to work on the install. Your post will get me motivated!!

I also bought aftermarket back up sensors and have them installed in the bumper ( not yet connected). Figured they'll work if I don't have the radio unit on, extra insurance.

The weather out here is great, it's 75 degrees today, 80 tomorrow, low humidity and I overlook the ocean. If you want to help me on the install you can come here and stay for a few days and vacation, let me know

Also, I may reach out via PM for some tips on the overall installation, thanks!

Mike

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to play devil's advocate...
You have windows in your van, why not look through them and save money?
I had an extended body and never had an issue backing up...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bbasso
With full-height captain chairs and curtains in the back I couldn't see a building. Forget about trying to back into a parking spot in NYC with bikes on my hitch-rack. Have you noticed that many vans have dented rear pillars, especially the right-side?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Plus being able to back yourself up to a trailer perfectly the first time, every time. Plus its nice being able to watch your hitch while you are towing. Once you have one you'll want one in every truck/van you buy. Just like a remote engine starter.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Another reason you want rearview monitor is cost -- it is relatively inexpensive.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Have to go along with others and say I don't see a single downside to this type of addition---except of course for the actual installation! I've run various wires through my one time cargo E250 so know a bit about fishing things through the rear areas, under kick panels and any other nook, crevice and spot between the back and the dash. Add in a Club Wagon interior package and this installation is all that more impressive.

At some point I'll add a back up cam to my van and yes this post is very helpful in a lot of ways. Very nice job and thanks for sharing!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
Thanks. The install is not too bad. This is my first van, so I'm just learning how it all comes apart. Fishing the video cable through the rubber door jamb boot is a little tricky. Ya gotta take the boot loose from both ends and then pull the whole cable through. I used a few tools to get it pulled through the boot. Then its a little frustrating messing with the fake plastic screw pins on the black plastic door sill panel of the rear side doors. The front door sill is easy.

BTW, that cable coming out from under my radio is the iPod cable. It connects to my iPhone, for transferring video, music, Pandora, Facebook, Aha radio, etc. This radio has a really nice interface with the iphone. Plus it has a great bluetooth hands-free calling setup. Some of the older Pioneers have poor sound quality on the bluetooth calls, but the new z130bt sounds great. I have the mic mounted on top of the steering column. More info on the radio: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z130BT

Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 PM
ramrunnr
New User
I really like how you installed using the factory location. You don't see it unless you are looking for it.

I use this camera Swann Nighthawk 2 Pack : Cameras | RadioShack.com, except I bought a single pack instead of the twin pack in the link. Looks like the single pack has been discontinued. It is a wireless camera and receiver unit. I mounted the receiver in the dash behind the radio and I mounted the camera on a large rubber wrapped magnet. I can mount the camera wherever it is convenient. I've used it to hook up a trailer and then move the camera to the back of the trailer to aid in reversing. I have the camera wired into a trailer plug so I just plug into the trailer harness connection for power off the Charge feed. I have wired plugs on the back of my trailers for the purpose of connecting the camera. This setup works well for me, when I leave the van the Camera comes off and goes inside the van or in the house with me.

Quick Reply: E350 Backup Camera install