Sponsored by: Moser

Sometimes HOAs Suck

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes HOAs Suck

I was just wondering if anyone else had home owners associations give them grief about their trucks? I knew my time was running out. My dad's truck that I had been restoring since he past away had been sitting in the driveway waiting on Spring so I could finish it up. I rebuilt a 460 to go in it and the C6 is cleaned and ready to be put back together. I removed the front clip to remove the 302 and C4 today so that I could see if I had any leaks or other build issues with the 460 before I sent the whole thing off to the paint shop. I was looking forward to breaking in the engine and then taking it out and having the inner fender wells and firewall painted the same color as the rest of the truck. Well, while the family was having dinner, the dreaded knock came. My next door neighbor, who is the president of the HOA, said that I couldn't work on it in the driveway. They couldn't say anything as long as it would crank and run, but as soon as I removed the clip, they smelled blood and jumped on me. I know it is the rules, and I agreed to them when we moved in, but I guess it just hurt my feelings that something my dad loved so much would be considered an eye sore. So now, I have to rush to dismantle the cab and bed so I can have the truck shipped off to be painted. My problem now, is that I want the engine broken in before I put it in my freshly painted truck just in case there is a problem somewhere. It was my first build so I just want to be sure. I guess I'm just griping when I don't really have a gripe. It just felt like a punch in the throat. Does anyone in the Charlotte, NC area know where I could have the engine broken in on a test bed? It would give me a little piece of mind anyhow. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read Charlotte. I hate HOAs. Ours complained when my dads friend parked on the side of the road with his tires in the grass and when we had a sign in our yard for the company fixing our roof. Ill be interested to see what people do when I get my truck home. Sorry, but I dont know of anywhere.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
finneys98xj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the country.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
jjski78
Tuned
That's why I refuse to live in a neighborhood like that. Unless they are paying my mortgage they can kiss my @$$.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That stinks, I don't know how those things work, but I'd fight them tooth and nail, what are they gunna do, start shooting?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by nothercrash
That stinks, I don't know how those things work, but I'd fight them tooth and nail, what are they gunna do, start shooting?
It's worse than being shot, they will fine me.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AGHHHHhhhhHHHHhhhHH that stiiiinks...

How did they make u sign in the first place? How do they have control of the neighborhood? Do they own the land?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Jon R
New User
Originally Posted by nothercrash
AGHHHHhhhhHHHHhhhHH that stiiiinks...

How did they make u sign in the first place? How do they have control of the neighborhood? Do they own the land?
They dont make you sign...You just do when you sign all the contracts to buy the home and regret it later. Typical power trip...

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Yep, the dreaded HOA. I got a kick out of them (sarcasm) when I was repainting my truck and I had the cab and frame in the garage and the bed laying in the driveway. Here comes the HOA letter "Please remove your inoperative vehicle from line of sight of passing guests and homeowners"

So a bed is an inoperative vehicle huh? I ignored the letter and it was a good 3 months before I moved the bed into the garage.

One thing about ours is they are horribly inconsistent. One neighbor gets fined because they built their fence too close to the sidewalk, whereas another has had their fence exactly the same way and nothing happens.

Leaving trash cans out.

The big one now? Not picking up dog crap.

Sheesh, commies.

As for you, it was just a verbal from a biased neighbor. I would wait for the letters to come in. Here they give 3 warnings before resorting to fines. Don't pay the fines for one year and they put a lien on the mortgage. But I think that is a worst case scenario.

Josh

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
jjski78
Tuned
I would meet the HOA ***** at the door with a gun. That would get their attention. Like I said, unless you are paying my mortgage, you have no say.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Xauterus
Senior User
Hello
I dont think you should worry about build issues with your 460. Why dont you have the truck taken to be painted now without an engine? When it comes back its going to look much better and it wont take too long to put an engine into. At least it might give you some breathing space so that you can find somewhere else to complete the assembly.

Corey

Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try slapping a for sale sign in the windshield? my town says you're not allowed to have any unregistered vehicles in your yard. if i bring my f150 or mustang to my place this summer, i might just slap a for sale sign in the windshield and name an absolutely ridiculous price.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by Xauterus
Hello
I dont think you should worry about build issues with your 460. Why dont you have the truck taken to be painted now without an engine? When it comes back its going to look much better and it wont take too long to put an engine into. At least it might give you some breathing space so that you can find somewhere else to complete the assembly.

Corey
It will be painted without an engine or transmission. I just wanted to break the engine in and see if anything leaked before installing it in the truck when it gets back from paint. It isn't a ground up restoration, but the body will be perfect, and the interior will be completely new from the carpet to the headliner and everything in between. I just didn't want oil leaking all over my brand new House of Kolor candy apple red and orion silver paint if a gasket isn't perfect. Oh, and by the way, the president/next door neighbor said, "Well, why didn't you just by a new one?" Jerk x2!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
lamenytro
Senior User
im glad i dont live in a HOA neighborhood, they would hate me and my family, at one time we had 5 cars ( only 2 worked) in our front yard, parts everywere and so on lol, next tme they say something tell them to shove it

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lamenytro
im glad i dont live in a HOA neighborhood, they would hate me and my family, at one time we had 5 cars ( only 2 worked) in our front yard, parts everywere and so on lol, next tme they say something tell them to shove it
haha i'd go with the more subtle route and say 'interested in buying one?'

Quick Reply: Sometimes HOAs Suck