6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Got my Reese Sidewinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Reese Sidewinder

Wow, received my Sidewinder today, should have eaten my Wheaties today took all I had to put the boxes in the truck. Going to need some help to install. Figure I can put it in the hitch to build then jack it up to connect to the 5er. Anybody have any experience and can give me some pointers?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

It ain't a legit thread unless you post pictures of your new toy! This is the slider version right? Now that you got me thinking REALLY hard about 5ers, I need more information!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
No this is a replacement hitch box that moves the swtivel point back 22" so you get almost 90 degrees. I have s slider hitch that binds when I need it so this is the next step. The swivel point on the hitch is wedged and the swivel point is moved to under the hitch pin instead.

YouTube - Reese Sidewinder Shortbed Towing Solution.wmv

Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
bastech
New User
George: I got the 5th air borne sidewinder and installed on my Monty. So far I love it tracks and backs better than the standard pin box. The air bag allows it to just float, nice ride. Dont try and install without help. I had two friends to help. Raised the front up with the jacks. Had a bench with the pin box on it and then lowered the front. A couple of drif pins or spud bar to put in the holes and align for bolts help also. Pm me for more info. bastech

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
bastech
Thanks for the offer, I may need to take you up on that. Won't be installing it till it gets warmer, maybe a little later in May. I saw an installation video with two guys holding the hitch box up while another put the bolts in. Huuum I guess I'll have to think about who would be dumb enough to help..... Can't wait to see how it works on my truck.

Thanks again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APKM9GHRDGU

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
George,
Looks like a pretty straight forward installation. I can't figure out why they needed to grease the bottom or the top of the wedge? A couple of tapered punches stuck in either side of the new pin box is a quick way to align the bolt holes on both sides and take some of the weight during the installation. I did that when I had to raise my pin box because of the rear height difference between the old F250 and the new F350. Good luck with the installation. We need pictures.
-Gavin

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
George,
Looks like a pretty straight forward installation. I can't figure out why they needed to grease the bottom or the top of the wedge? A couple of tapered punches stuck in either side of the new pin box is a quick way to align the bolt holes on both sides and take some of the weight during the installation. I did that when I had to raise my pin box because of the rear height difference between the old F250 and the new F350. Good luck with the installation. We need pictures.
-Gavin
I too wondered about the wedge, pin and the front of the hitch. The pin box no longer spins on the pin or the surface of the hitch. I will keep the lube ring around my pin. I will not splatter grease just to splatter grease. I wonder if the pin box needs to be taken apart every so often to be greased. Reese should have put grease zerts so one could grease regularly....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Okay George. I see what you bought. Does using the Sidewinder move the weight point of the trailer back behind the axle or does it remain the same as before?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Okay George. I see what you bought. Does using the Sidewinder move the weight point of the trailer back behind the axle or does it remain the same as before?
I would assume the weight on the hitch itself would stay the same. I will have to ask Reese. One of the first places I will go when I can tow is the scales, lot of info there.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by lakedweller
I would assume the weight on the hitch itself would stay the same. I will have to ask Reese. One of the first places I will go when I can tow is the scales, lot of info there.
It will be interesting what you find out on the scales. I guess another way you will probably notice is how light the truck feels on the front end on the way to the scales.

Gotta admit it has been fun doing the research on these hitches and options. Just don't tell my wife how much money it will cost us! So, probably sounding like an idiot because I am still learning, is there a reason you opted for a sidewinder over a slider? Do sliders have a history of being problematic?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
My slider was fine the first three years. It began to refuse to slide after that. I pulled the hitch out and the slides worked fine. I cleaned and lubed the rails and put the hitch back in the truck, the hitch slid like butter. Get to Florida and tried to slide to maneuvering position and no dice. Set the 5er up and after I unhitched I checked the hitch and it slid ok.....

Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
the weight should be the same, the lever point has moved some tho.. the front bolts on the hitch will be getting more pressure. 8 bolts on each side of the pin box!..

Sam

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
the weight should be the same, the lever point has moved some tho.. the front bolts on the hitch will be getting more pressure. 8 bolts on each side of the pin box!..

Sam
The guys that put my hitch in this truck did it right. Very few will put the fifth bolt in the rails, my installers not only put the fifth bolts in they had some bolts and put six bolts in each rail. I also purchased the brackets made for my truck, instead of the universal set. The custom brackets were not a set of four 2 or 3" angle brackets. these brackets went from the front of the front rail to the rear of the rear rail with a notch to go around box rail. The installers were impressed they had only pet the universal brackets prior to my install. I don;t think I have anything to worry about.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I was told that before you can extend the pin box you need to discuss it with the frame manufacturer as extending the pin box dramatically changes the loading and stresses on the frame. Any thoughts on that?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I was told that before you can extend the pin box you need to discuss it with the frame manufacturer as extending the pin box dramatically changes the loading and stresses on the frame. Any thoughts on that?
yes, there are impacts on the trailer too.. quite a different angle of stress.

you are moving 2,000lbs about 3 ft.. and it all rests on that pin box.. the hitch platform top will rotate forward & back , but the hitch box on the trailer can't move.. so the frame right there is taking a heck of a (unexpected) beating. was straight up/down.. now its a twisting force

Sam

Quick Reply: Got my Reese Sidewinder