2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out with IFS, In with SAS on 2008 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will be amazing once its finished. I think I would of opted for a slightly cheaper route by doing some work myself and not going with the custom axles but will work great for you I am sure.

Why the change to link front and rear you could of done it with leaf springs or just link on the front?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Drew, with a custom built 4-link, even a 3-link, you have to run coil overs. Plus linked and coils will articulate WAY more than a leaf spring setup ever will. Additionally, you can fine tune the hell out of coilovers.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I know but I guess I tend to look at things more as an easy trail fix. You can repair the leaf springs on the trail should something break fairly easy the coil overs would be harder.

I have designed up what I tend to do to my wife's jeep once we purchase her a new vehicle and I can turn it into a decent trail machine for right 7-10k depending on how much I am able to do myself and what I have to sub out to someone else. The leaf springs still work very well and give a lot of play for everything from trails to rock crawling.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
OGTerror
Negus Negast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coskid
Will be amazing once its finished. I think I would of opted for a slightly cheaper route by doing some work myself and not going with the custom axles but will work great for you I am sure.

Why the change to link front and rear you could of done it with leaf springs or just link on the front?
I am extremely busy with my own construction business, too much work and no time to wrench on my truck. The fellow who is wrenching on my truck has been doing this for 22 years now, does the work himself with the help of four assistants, he's been and continues to off road, has made all the mistakes, knows what is **** to fail, for which reason I don't mind spending the money to have someone with his caliber wrenching on my truck.

So you think you could have done this for less?

Note: when this bill was written, I intended to leave the rear leave springs, later I decided to go all suspension in the rear which raised the bill to another 10 grand.

McDavis gave you the right answer regarding your question, why not leave springs.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
OGTerror
Negus Negast
The guys who installed the newly built Dynatrac 60 on this vvvv video will be the guys who'll do mine too.

YouTube - Building a Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 Front Axle

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Man those $$$ figures are making my head spin. What you're spending on parts alone is not far off of what I bought my truck for back in September.
I cannot wait to see the completed product. You have spared no expense, and you are likely to be VERY happy with the final outcome.
Simply awesome!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
OGTerror
Negus Negast
This is the kind of articulation McDavis is talking about and is what I'm looking for, can't get this with leave springs.

YouTube - Project-JK Highlights - EVO Flex on Niagara Rim Rock Pile

Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
OGTerror
Negus Negast
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Man those $$$ figures are making my head spin. What you're spending on parts alone is not far off of what I bought my truck for back in September.
I cannot wait to see the completed product. You have spared no expense, and you are likely to be VERY happy with the final outcome.
Simply awesome!
About 3 years ago I finally found myself and saved that lil child inside of me. Now I spoil him and give him everything he deserves cause he has and continues to work hard for all the things he wants in life. I told my wife, I want to be happy every day and I won't let anything or anyone come in between me and my happiness.

Can't put a price on my happiness, no matter if I invest a penny or a billion dollars in it, I want to be happy and I don't care what it costs me as long as I can afford it.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by wahl7s
your putting a solid front axle in the front get your truck out of that shop today. Raptors dont use a solid front axle and even after you drop i dont know how many thousands on that truck a raptor will still smoke it!!!! there are way more options to make that a bad *** truck than a solid front axle. you can use bronco TTB's would be better than that
im sorry but that is a stupid comment. the OP never asked for a comparison, raptor or otherwise. oh, and the raptor is so robust that the front end is locked, or is it?
by the way wahl, what do you drive? lets see it.

to the OP, your truck is bad ***! i would take it over a raptor any day.
good luck to you sir!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Every part on a Raptor is rediculously priced. I replaced the 3rd brake light on one the other day... 350.00 for the part, just because it has some LEDs in it. The front plastic FORD emblem grille is about 850.00. You can buy a lot of cheezy parts aftermarket for that kind of money. Good luck when they start breaking out of warranty.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM
GDog68
Freshman User
Gonna be nothing but BAD!!!! 15 grand for the axles? GEEZ!!!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
OGTerror
Negus Negast
Well, we gotz a lil update:

Cleaning the under body has started to begin installing the suspension component on the truck next week.

Do you guys know what those part sitting on the floor in front of my truck are?

Well, I take your silence as a indication that you don't know.

They are the dynatrac axles ready to be installed on my truck next week.

Look at the size of the braking system in the front axle.

The rear.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Holy hell. Those Dynatracs are nice! Cannot wait to hear how you'll try to break those.
Thanks for the update!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
JDE
Freshman User
Looks good, wish i had the money to drop on a set of those.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
UnleashedF150
New User
finally bro, will it be ready for pismo?

Quick Reply: Out with IFS, In with SAS on 2008 Ford F-150