1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Straight Pipe a V10 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
RedRaider15
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, I am still deciding on an exhaust system... I would like to try straight pipe (not a true straight pipe as I will keep the cats), and if its to loud for me, I will just put back on a muffler. What are ya'lls opinions and what do I need to do to straight pipe it?

(sorry, I'm new to all of this... This is my first truck)

Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The V10 can sound highly annoying even with with a muffler. I had some smaller capacity mufflers on mine before in both lightning style and stock over the axle exit. The small loud mufflers got old after a couple years.

I went to a Flowmaster Force II cat-back about 5 years ago. Installed one on my dads V10 about 3 years ago. They work well, sound good and are not annoying. I just replaced mine with a new stainless Force II catback due to the tailpipe rusting through at the muffler. The stainless kit is a better quality kit but it was not available when I bought mine years ago.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
RedRaider15
Freshman User
I actually really like the sound of a V10! I've still been watching youtube videos to see what I like... My dad told me that I could do whatever exhaust-wise I wanted to do on my truck. All of my friends drive trucks or suv's with cut-off mufflers or a louder muffler.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
depends what u like and what u can do. As for me, i am a contractor, showing up at someone's house at 6am in a multi-million dollar neighborhood with loud exhaust is very unprofessional and is a big no no for me. Backing a 10k+ trailer into someone's driveway makes alot of noise with a straight piped or similar truck. That pretty much cancels out any exhaust mods for me...plus they get very......annoying. I HATE drone.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRaider15
No. It's obnoxious and sounds awful. If you're looking for a louder exhaust note consider an aftermarket muffler of some flavor.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO on the straight pipe.....The V10 is annoyingly loud & crackly
My first SD was a 2000 w/a V10 & after numerous tries my favorite muffler was Magnaflow w/a Dual outlet & i had Dual Tails put on. Sounded good but not to obnoxious (i too like to hear a vehicle) i will say that while pulling a 5'er it got a bit annoying after a while due to the fact the V10 pulls alot of RPM's while towing but otherwise it was awesome system....
P.S...I did keep the Kitty installed also

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No. You should find a good muffler that does a good job at quieting that obnoxious noise that that motor makes haha

Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
No. It's obnoxious and sounds awful. If you're looking for a louder exhaust note consider an aftermarket muffler of some flavor.
excuse me Tom, but have you driven or ridden in a V10 without a muffler?

i've been running mine with no muffler for 3 years and find it neither obnoxious or awful sounding. I actually get compliments weekly on the sound and growl of it. it does not sound like a V8 but thats what i like about it....think lambo

Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO

I've heard a lot of different v10 exhaust combinations and they all have one thing in common they sound like a clapped out old gasser farm tractor or at best an old tugboat. No your v10 SD does not sound like a Lamborghini no more than my geo sounds like a Hayibusa.

V10 truck motors are best left unheard. And this coming from a guy running a straight piped diesel

Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
excuse me Tom, but have you driven or ridden in a V10 without a muffler?
Nope, but I've heard a few over the years that made me come to that conclusion. In fact your your ice lake video from last winter really solidified my opinion on that. I think it sounds obnoxious at best, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm a bit of a different breed though. I can't stand people who blast their music to get attention, because I don't want to listen to their music any more than they want to listen to mine. I think the same of exhaust systems; not everyone wants to hear my engine! So why would I force everyone to?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Sorry straight piped V10 (and straight piped most anything) sounds like crap to me. The V10 straight piped just sounds worse. Run a lightning style exhaust exiting in front of RR on a V10 for a while and actually tow with it and you will not like it for more than a short time either. Under load above 3k rpm it sounds good but that is about it. Long trips pulling up grades with it and the noise and drone gets annoying fast. Been there, done that have the t-shirt.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
RBlac
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm a bit of a different breed though. I can't stand people who blast their music to get attention, because I don't want to listen to their music any more than they want to listen to mine. I think the same of exhaust systems; not everyone wants to hear my engine! So why would I force everyone to?
Totally agree! A good sounding exhaust that rumbles a bit is nice, but I don't want my neighbor waking me up every morning starting and reving his truck, because he thinks it makes him look cool. Nor would I do that to them.

I have seen some v-10 that sound pretty good, but have no idea what they are doing.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Lastly the 3rd video title says straight piped v-10, but it clearly is not a straight-piped v10 as seen by the exhaust exiting behind the passenger wheel (just as stock). I have seen some v-10 that sound pretty good, but have no idea what they are doing.
"Straight piped" has nothing to do with the exit location of the tailpipe. You are simply deleting the muffler. Whether that be adding a piece of exhaust pipe to where the muffler was or replacing the system with a system that has no muffler.

It sounds decent in the last video but they usually do at lower rpms and especially with some load.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
yeah what does tailpipe location have to do with a lack of a muffler?

side note, i also tow a 4k travel trailer in the mountains and it does not annoy or bother me. maybe i have gotten used to it but its pretty damn quite inside the truck...cruising at highway speed its damn near silent.

different strokes for different folks but i love the way my truck sounds and apparently so do alot of other people...

Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
RBlac
Senior User
You'll note i omitted that in my post, as I understood what the poster meant. My brain always thought the 2 were the same.

Quick Reply: Should I Straight Pipe a V10 F-250