6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

TITAN 65 Gal. Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TITAN 65 Gal. Tank

Well put the 65 gal. tank in this Saturday....Did it by myself, truck on ramps in the rear and used my motorcycle lift and straps to hold up the tanks....My old tank still had about 25 gal. in it....From beginning to end about 6 hours....Lot's of swearin in between....LOL

I have not gone to the fuel station yet just put in the 25 gal. from the old tank....We'll see how it goes on first fill up....Taking it in for the recalibration next weekend.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
RoadKingFL,

Keep us posted. I did this swapout on my 08 and it was a big pain - mainly fuel sending unit adapter parts and stock fuel lines that did not quite line up and could not be altered because of non-standard fittings and size. Then needed a much slower fill rate than my stock tank to get the second half of the "extra" capacity. Granted it took 50 gallons in (10+ more then stock) with zero problems.

Is sending unit finally "just swap out or does it need to be modified?
Is there a 3rd mounting strap up fron or does it still just hang out there?
How was fit/clearance up by the transfer case?
Does it have a side rockshield (Ford stock expects deflection off of driveshaft I suppose)?

Thanks in advance...

Followup- I just got off the phone with Mitch, regional rep that helped me through my install of a Job 1 2008 450 that originated the above questions. The 2011 tank is a new bird altogether, zink plated straps, a 3rd stap up front integrated into a skid plate, uses stock venting, no need for hose extensions, easier sender unit install. They were a god end prduct for all but the wierd early Job 1 08's, but boy they have come a long way, and now the DTE empty setting option from the factory just for thistank size. The way to go.

Last edited by JohnD333; 04-29-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Talked to Manufacturer
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by JohnD333
RoadKingFL,

Keep us posted. I did this swapout on my 08 and it was a big pain - mainly fuel sending unit adapter parts and stock fuel lines that did not quite line up and could not be altered because of non-standard fittings and size. Then needed a much slower fill rate than my stock tank to get the second half of the "extra" capacity. Granted it took 50 gallons in (10+ more then stock) with zero problems.

Is sending unit finally "just swap out or does it need to be modified?It is just swap out (See Epicowlicks video), it's awesome.
Is there a 3rd mounting strap up fron or does it still just hang out there?There is a third strap, and another support far forward.
How was fit/clearance up by the transfer case?Fit and clearance were fine, no problems.
Does it have a side rockshield (Ford stock expects deflection off of driveshaft I suppose)?No side rock shield. I don't do any off roading so I didn't by the shield.

Thanks in advence...
Hope I don't have any issues, but I will keep you posted.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Titan update

Originally Posted by roadkingfl
Hope I don't have any issues, but I will keep you posted.
Filled the tank up this morning...no foaming and no backwash, filled to the top.

So far very happy...fuel gauge seems to work fine miles to empty obviously still thinks it's the 36 gal. tank...I will take it in for the reprogram next week to rectify that issue.

Highly recommend one if you tow.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Quick questions. I know there was update that allowed the Titan fuel tank sizes to work with our fuel calculators. What do I ask for when I want it done? I am close to pulling the trigger. Does the update allow you to maintain your existing tank size and then allow you to select a larger tank size when I install it?

I'm asking because I am scheduling my tranny TSB for next week and it would be good to have this update done at the same time. Won't have it done if it causes me issues with my current configuration.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Quick questions. I know there was update that allowed the Titan fuel tank sizes to work with our fuel calculators. What do I ask for when I want it done? I am close to pulling the trigger. Does the update allow you to maintain your existing tank size and then allow you to select a larger tank size when I install it?

I'm asking because I am scheduling my tranny TSB for next week and it would be good to have this update done at the same time. Won't have it done if it causes me issues with my current configuration.
it is an either or type change.. its either stock, or not stock. YOU cannot change it.. only the dealer with their software can change it..

so forget about it now, change the tank, then drive over there sometime and have them reset the size.
the gauge will be right, only the MTE will be wrong.

sam

Old 04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
MarauderV92,
If you are absolutely sure that you are getting the new tank you can have dealer set to the new spec next week. However, if you do, thereafter when sender says full, gauge on dash will think it has 65 gallons not 38, and 1/8 full will imply that there are 8 gallons left when there are less than 5, etc, so do not trust the DTE until the new tank is in.

Last edited by JohnD333; 04-29-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by Marauder92V

I waited to install the larger tank before taking it to the dealer for recalibration...Like I stated previously, the guage seems to work fine it's the DTE they will adjust... will take it to the dealer next week, it needs an oil change anyway.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait until after I have the tank installed.