1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck was stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry My truck was stolen!

My beautiful 2006 F250 (the one in my sig) was stolen from my work parking lot Thursday afternoon - in broad daylight and under the security cameras. Didn't know she was gone until I tried to leave at 6 pm, video footage shows her being stolen at 3. She was recovered Friday morning, in what the border sheriff's refer to as a typical "bailout" - the thieves had her in Mexico and were on the way back with a load of illegals when they ran from the cops, took her cross-country until they wrecked and then everyone scattered like rats. No one caught or arrested. So now I have a wrecked truck sitting in the Cotulla sheriff's dept. impound lot waiting for the insurance estimator.

I'm not sure what to do. Initial report says she's wrecked in the front and side, has a blown out tire, the rear seat was ripped out, and the steering column smashed to get her started. I'll go see her tomorrow when the impound lot opens (closed Friday and this weekend) and I'll know more then about how badly she's damaged, but at this point I'm hoping she winds up being totaled. But the other part of me that loves her so much hopes the damage isn't too bad and she can be fixed. My quandry comes in the fact that I don't know just how hard she was driven, and over what, an even if she's not totaled, could it be that she was too abused to ever run and drive the same?

I'm still just so angry - we got the thieves on video from two different cameras, but neither angle was able to get a good shot of the red Durango's licens plate that they arrived in. But they were in her and GONE in less than a minute. She was probably already in Mexico by the time I saw the empty parking space where she should have been.

No matter what happens, you bet your a$$ I'll be investing in more advanced theft protection when it's all said and done. I just thought I was safe in a monitored (we have on-site guards as well) parking lot, but obviously not. Anyone have suggestions? Kill switch, lowjack, detonating paint *****? All of the above? And would you take her back repaired, or get a different truck?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frickin' illegals.

Sorry to hear about your truck.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but if you live in South Texas and have a 4wd Super Duty, then your truck will end up being targeted for this kind of use. Post pictures of the damage if you get a chance.

I believe Ravelco is supposed to be the alarm to have if you don't want them taking your truck.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Sorry to hear about your truck. Did your 2006 have the key with the chip in it? Just curious if the chip can be bypassed in a minute.
As far as security I have a Lojack with the early warning system. Also a Viper alarm with a starter kill and a 2 way remote which will buzz in my pocket up to a mile away if the alarm is tripped. Thats the best I could come up with for security in my truck.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Sorry to hear about your truck. Hopefully they will catch the scum bags who did it. I thought I read somewhere that they like the Super Duty's. I heard the Revelco is really a good anti-theft device. Never hurts to even get one of those steering wheel locks like The Club. Theives see those, and move on. If they can't steal it really fast, then they won't mess with it. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
They do indeed like the Super Duty's, the officer that took the theft report told me the first thing they do is remove the backseats so they can stuff as many people in there as possible, and they want 4WD so they can go cross country where patrol cars can't. Our F250's top the list of most stolen in this area.

My office is right on I-35, and trucks have been stolen from a neighboring business's parking lot - but mine is the first to be stolen from ours. Hope it's the last. Tomorrow I have to try and get copies of the videos to give to the local pd, maybe their enhancement software can get a better look at the guys or the license plate of their vehicle.

And no, I don't think I have the chipped key. Personally, I'd like a remote deployment of nail-filled airbags as an option!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
ravelco is what I have. There is no way to get the truck to run unless you want to pop the hood and start figuring out the wiring harness.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was another guy on the site a few years back who had his truck stolen and recovered for the same use, his insurance company gave him the option of taking it back or having it written off because of what it was used for. He said his truck was full of **** everywhere and he did not want it back at all. His truck also had a topper and carpeted box so they were hauling a lot of people in it.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM
spinella
Postmaster
that blows...sorry to hear it. post back with more info when you get it.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
KREECH
Freshman User
That sucks big time.

Next truck: Ravelco. Ravelco. Ravelco.

They're based in Rosenberg, TX. Vinny Raveli installs them himself. Saved my truck twice in 15 months. Got to have it with an F250 in Tejas. Next time they'll steal your ipod, but at least you won't see your truck on Border Wars.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 PM
stuffdeer
Senior User
My harley f350 was stolen in Michigan. Superdutys don't have chips in the keys until 08 unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
If you get it fixed, I would rig it with explosives to go off if started without the key. Don't let them screw your truck up, you screw it up for them with them in it. Living in Michigan we do not have the same illegal problem you have, ours drive across legally from Canada then go home when their holiday is over. Don't get me wrong we to get ours stolen but they stop you at a cross walk and take it from you...

In all seriousness I am sorry you are going thru such a trying time and I hope everything comes out in your favor.

Good Luck

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd fight for a new truck, who knows whats wrong with that one now.

As for theft deterrent, most thieves are stupid and only know one way to start and drive off a vehicle by smashing the ignition. In the honda community there were and still is big problems of people stealing cars. Best way to stop it is a simple toggle for the fuel pump relay. Hide the toggle somewhere not by the drivers side steering column/dash. Most common places were on the roof of the ash try (out of sight when opened, have to feel to find it), in the honda crx's there is a storage tray behind the drivers seat that some guys placed the toggle, some used a false switch on the dash like the A/C switch.

Lots of these guys over the years mention having their car broken into and the ignition smashed but the car was still there.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM
jimsteph12
New User
2Horses, sorry for the loss. That totally sucks. You got me worried now as I'm right down the street from you on 35! For y'all that posted, what makes a Ravelco different?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jimsteph12
2Horses, sorry for the loss. That totally sucks. You got me worried now as I'm right down the street from you on 35! For y'all that posted, what makes a Ravelco different?
Here is their web site.

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quick Reply: My truck was stolen!