Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Tom, I think you may be more worried about suspension travel than need be. On my last trailer, I had maybe 2" from the top of the tires to the wheel wells, and they never rubbed. Might try taping a piece of foam to the top of the wheel well and see if you can figure out if a taller tire will rub.

I'm confused how a hitch adjustment would affect the trailer tires.
I do love some of the Chinese tire company names.
I was trying to figure out how to check to see exactly how much vertical room it needed for suspension travel, I was going to use a piece of ridged foam on the bottom of the frame and let the axle make it's mark then go from there. Same idea really.
The mention of the hitch adjustment was to readjust for some taller tires AND the 1" or so lift blocks added to the TT suspension for their vertical clearance. Those 2 things added together would effectively drop the nose of the TT some, so a hitch adjustment may be needed. But I have the 4" fixed drop Hensley stinger, so I don't have the (easy or cheap) option of adjusting that height, so bags are looking even better!

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
This....yup.

Stewart
Now I can tell the Chief Financial Officer (My Bride) that Stewart said I HAVE to get air bags!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
I hear ya with the hitch clearance, with the Pro-Pride I am a lot closer to the road than I like, the air bags do keep the truck up a bit, especially on rough roads.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Does that website actually work for you? I can get to it but there isn't any way to get any real info on the tires.
There has been some pretty good feedback to my thread asking about this upgrade in the towing forum. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ts-please.html
Based on my tire to tire clearance (6") I have plenty of room for a slightly larger LT tire but I only have 3.5"-ish above the front tires due to a slideout bracket. So that is my larger tire limiting factor......but as IMASAP pointed out that could be overcome with a few small lift blocks and a hitch adjustment (or an excuse for me to get airbags to recover some of my 2" of squat while hitched up).

What I found was funny is the company uses a Hotmail address and it doesn't explain anything.

So either I go with Maxxis ST or find an LT equivalent that will handle the load. When you go to the Discount Tire site it only gives me ST tire options.

I was talking to my wife about China Bombs yesterday and a mile later there was a TT in a parking lot with the owner changing a R/R tire. She understands now.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I do love some of Chinese tire company names.

Mine are 'Trailer King' brand.

Obviously they couldn't name them that unless they are top of the line.....

Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Mine are 'Trailer King' brand.

Obviously they couldn't name them that unless they are top of the line.....

Well, mine are "Power Kings", that pretty much sums it up, both are obviously the royalty of trailer tires!

Old 07-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Now I can tell the Chief Financial Officer (My Bride) that Stewart said I HAVE to get air bags!
This....yup.

Stewart

Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, those are the exact ST tires (and rims) that I have on my Jayco, what is the date code(s) on them? First 2 digits show the week of manufacture and second set of 2 digits is the year. My failed Tow max was a "3113", 31st week of 2013.
What size Duras did you go with for the EX?
My date codes on the RV tires are 0313 looks like mine are a bit older than yours. But I promise yours has a lot more miles. On the Duras for the X I just went with the stock 16 in size.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I believe in 2016 Jayco started offering an upgraded tire package that includes 16" E-rated Maxxis ST tires. I opted for this when I ordered mine last summer, so that I didn't have to play Russian roulette with the "other" tires they throw on there.

My sig still shows my previous trailer, and I don't have a good pic pulling the new trailer yet, but here is a nice pic when my FIL (left, towing w/ F150), brother (middle, towing w/ F350 7.3) and me (right) went down to Pirateland in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago. You can see a small part of the X on the far right. lol

When I upgraded (from a 7500# to 10k# TT) I am getting a lot more squat obviously. Fortunately I have a ton of ground clearance with my ProPride, since my Jayco sits up so high. My question is whether to go with V/C springs (want a somewhat stock ride height) or air bags. Opinions?

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just bagged mine my ex, going to be towing here in a few weeks. My trailer sits up relatively high too but my ground clearance sucks with the Propride

Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Joe28443
Just bagged mine my ex, going to be towing here in a few weeks. My trailer sits up relatively high too but my ground clearance sucks with the Propride

Mine sits low too but I haven't drug the ground, the bags do help with it sitting higher.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jasoncw
I believe in 2016 Jayco started offering an upgraded tire package that includes 16" E-rated Maxxis ST tires. I opted for this when I ordered mine last summer, so that I didn't have to play Russian roulette with the "other" tires they throw on there.

My sig still shows my previous trailer, and I don't have a good pic pulling the new trailer yet, but here is a nice pic when my FIL (left, towing w/ F150), brother (middle, towing w/ F350 7.3) and me (right) went down to Pirateland in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago. You can see a small part of the X on the far right. lol

When I upgraded (from a 7500# to 10k# TT) I am getting a lot more squat obviously. Fortunately I have a ton of ground clearance with my ProPride, since my Jayco sits up so high. My question is whether to go with V/C springs (want a somewhat stock ride height) or air bags. Opinions?
We ordered a 2016 Jayco. That wasn't an option on ours. Maybe just certain models. We did have the option of aluminum wheels which we opted for.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
We ordered a 2016 Jayco. That wasn't an option on ours. Maybe just certain models. We did have the option of aluminum wheels which we opted for.
Could be an option just for the Eagles...

Old 07-26-2016, 05:12 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I know my camper from the factory was within 200 lbs of exceeding the tire wt capacity.... I pulled the 8 plys off and put 10 plys on it and it don't cost me hardly anything being I sold the tires I took off witch where basically new

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by jasoncw

Nice looking Eagle, what model is it? Are the factory optioned 16"s still 6 lugs? When I ordered our Eagle the resistance/refusal I met over requesting a tire/wheel upgrade to a heavier spec was the only point of frustration encountered, every other aspect of the process was smooth going and the TT has been near flawless. Good luck with yours!
I knew that I'd be making this tire/wheel upgrade at some point not too far into ownership, but it's good to see that they have started to listen more and are now at least offering the upgrade.
If you are otherwise happy with your EX's ride and handling and only want to adjust for the TW induced squat, then a set of quality air bags would be the best option. I wanted a 4"-ish lift and 35"s so I went with the full spring swap with some additional mods, and I'm still thinking about bags.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Thanks Tom. Mine is a 2016 324BHTS. The upgraded tires still have same axles (6-lug), but I much prefer the E-rated 16" Maxxis tires over the D-rated 15" "who knows what" tires.

Thanks for the input on the air bags. Air Lift had a $100 rebate offered through June 30, which I was going to take advantage of, but by the time I remembered, it was July 4th weekend. I plan to get the Load Lifter 5000 with the WirelessONE compressor.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!