Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
This whole RV tire thing is confusing. Yes, I have the OEM tires on my camper, they have about 2000 miles on them now. They state on the sidewall they are rated to 81 MPH and they are ST 15" models. The 5th wheelers seem to use LT tires and some say it is a no no. Some recommend ST tires, others say no.

I am not planning on replacing the Surveyor's tires yet but my car haulers tires are now 6 years old and will be replaced as I do not trust them anymore.

I guess the whole tire thing is really personal preference.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:28 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
The one that failed is a Load range D ST tire, .
That's weird. My trailer has load range E tires on it, I'm assuming they are original. Yet yours is a heavier model rolling off the same assembly line. Maybe they just throw on whatever they have laying around.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:42 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
This whole RV tire thing is confusing. Yes, I have the OEM tires on my camper, they have about 2000 miles on them now. They state on the sidewall they are rated to 81 MPH and they are ST 15" models. The 5th wheelers seem to use LT tires and some say it is a no no. Some recommend ST tires, others say no.

I am not planning on replacing the Surveyor's tires yet but my car haulers tires are now 6 years old and will be replaced as I do not trust them anymore.

I guess the whole tire thing is really personal preference.
Can you share the brand/size/load rating/details of those ST tires on your TT? They do sound interesting.
I think most of the folks you see saying that ditching ST tires for LT is a bad idea are also selling ST tires.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
That's weird. My trailer has load range E tires on it, I'm assuming they are original. Yet yours is a heavier model rolling off the same assembly line. Maybe they just throw on whatever they have laying around.

Ours are factory originals, we ordered our TT and had to wait for it to be built. I lobbied strongly to have Jayco upgrade to 16" LTs during the spec-out and build, they said no and would not even upgrade from the standard Ds to ST Es. In the back of mind I knew this day was coming, its just that the budget always has something else pushing the front of the line for us to spend the money on rather than the tire/rim upgrade. When we had the 3 tires let go on the old TH (day #1 of a 3 week trip) I wanted to do the LT upgrade then. But the timing and cost was a deal breaker (also had to replace the refridge due the tire's failure, which also lead to small electrical fire.........it was a great first day! ).

Old 07-23-2016, 10:24 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I think most of the folks you see saying that ditching ST tires for LT is a bad idea are also selling ST tires.

Agreed. Aside from the $$$, I see no downside to changing over to LT tires on a trailer.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Agreed. Aside from the $$$, I see no downside to changing over to LT tires on a trailer.
I could not agree more.
And with the longer life cycle of the heavier LTs that additional cost should balance out somewhat.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom just FYI you know I blew one tire on our last trip less than 30 miles from leaving the house. When we arrived at our destination this weekend I noticed that we had one tire doing the exact same thing as yours. The tire that blew I replaced with a 10 ply vanguard. I am thinking about putting some nitro duragrapplers in the TT also.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:17 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
Tom just FYI you know I blew one tire on our last trip less than 30 miles from leaving the house. When we arrived at our destination this weekend I noticed that we had one tire doing the exact same thing as yours. The tire that blew I replaced with a 10 ply vanguard. I am thinking about putting some nitro duragrapplers in the TT also.

Do you know exactly what tires your TT had/has on it since our trailers are twins?
I did look into the Dura Grapplers, I run them on the EX and am very pleased with them there but they don't offer them in 225/75R16E. The Duras in 245/75R16E are over 2" taller than my current STs, I have enough room between the tandems for that much extra but space above the tires for suspension travel is a little too small for an extra inch+ of tire height.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Four 1 inch lift blocks, some u bolts and a trailer hitch adjustment should take care of it.....

Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My tires are st225-75-15 load range D tow max STR

I am also running the dura grapplers on the X now. About 500 miles on them so far and very very happy

Old 07-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Can you share the brand/size/load rating/details of those ST tires on your TT? They do sound interesting.

The ones I have are China Bombs too, I was mistaken, they are speed rated L, max 75 MPH. Just look at their website: http://constancytyres.com/constancy-tyre-ly188.html

My car hauler and camper take 225/75/15 D tires. I was thinking about taking the campers tires and putting them on the car hauler and getting "good" tires for the camper. Now, what are good tires for the camper is the $100,000 question.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
My tires are st225-75-15 load range D tow max STR

I am also running the dura grapplers on the X now. About 500 miles on them so far and very very happy

Yep, those are the exact ST tires (and rims) that I have on my Jayco, what is the date code(s) on them? First 2 digits show the week of manufacture and second set of 2 digits is the year. My failed Tow max was a "3113", 31st week of 2013.
What size Duras did you go with for the EX?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
The ones I have are China Bombs too, I was mistaken, they are speed rated L, max 75 MPH. Just look at their website: LY188-constancy tire - Constancy Tyres Co.,ltd

My car hauler and camper take 225/75/15 D tires. I was thinking about taking the campers tires and putting them on the car hauler and getting "good" tires for the camper. Now, what are good tires for the camper is the $100,000 question.

Does that website actually work for you? I can get to it but there isn't any way to get any real info on the tires.
There has been some pretty good feedback to my thread asking about this upgrade in the towing forum. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ts-please.html
Based on my tire to tire clearance (6") I have plenty of room for a slightly larger LT tire but I only have 3.5"-ish above the front tires due to a slideout bracket. So that is my larger tire limiting factor......but as IMASAP pointed out that could be overcome with a few small lift blocks and a hitch adjustment (or an excuse for me to get airbags to recover some of my 2" of squat while hitched up).

Old 07-23-2016, 10:48 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Those are not the same brand chinabombs that I have. Mine are the famous "Goodride" brand. Must be the different year models got whatever was the cheapest at the time. I still think it's weird my lighter trailer got LR E and you guys got LR D.

Tom, I think you may be more worried about suspension travel than need be. On my last trailer, I had maybe 2" from the top of the tires to the wheel wells, and they never rubbed. Might try taping a piece of foam to the top of the wheel well and see if you can figure out if a taller tire will rub.

I'm confused how a hitch adjustment would affect the trailer tires.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
(or an excuse for me to get airbags to recover some of my 2" of squat while hitched up).
This....yup.

Stewart

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!