Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
enormiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjmike
It would be interesting to see trans temp, eot, egt and boost, in OD up a hill vs hitting the tow/haul button before the hill and running it at a higher rpm.
My trans temp stays dead still as long as the converter is locked, speed AC & weather don't matter.
Hit a grade that causes drop to 3rd and converter unlocked and trans temp goes up.

EOT seems to go hand in hand with load, or skinny pedal position.
Never noticed much difference attributed to gear change but never specifically watched for it either.

Pick up the torque app + dongle and you can monitor all kinds of stuff from your phone or tablet for dirt cheap.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mulepic
...and some better smarts on when to downshift and how to lock up the torque converter sooner.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I think a good tune writer could make that 4R100 work more like you want it to
Yup.

This helps a lot too.
John Wood 4R100 Valve Body - Riffraff Diesel Performance

... vs hitting the tow/haul button
Just FYI, the 4R100 doesn't have a tow/haul button, just an OD on/off button.

Stewart

Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
mulepic
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulepic
I just ordered my PHP Hydra from KT Performance. I'll update this thread w/ my impressions once I tow with it.
I just finish towing my 4000 TT with the PHP Hydra installed. I used the 65HP Tow tune. The shifting was much much better than stock. It shifted just like you'd expect. It didn't wait too long to shift and when it did it only took a 1/2 second before it locked the torque converter. So you didn't loose all your momentum while the tranny slipped. For this feature alone the chip was worth it. Aside from much better down shifts, the power was great. The truck held its speed much better up hills which required less down shifting. I would recommend the Hydra. Maybe you can save a few bucks and just get the 6 position switch; I'm not sure I'll ever be reprogramming the hydra.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Just FYI, the 4R100 doesn't have a tow/haul button, just an OD on/off button.
Thanks for the correction. So there's no shift strategy change or anything other than simply not shifting into 4th/OD.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 829 Likes on 569 Posts
Thanks for the correction. So there's no shift strategy change or anything other than simply not shifting into 4th/OD.
Correct, that's all that happens with the 4R100 when you hit the OD off button.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
We went to Givhans Ferry State Park in Ridgeville,SC this past weekend, about 30 miles from Charleston. It was a quiet park but it was a cold weekend. The park has a small campground and several full hookup sites.

The Ex did a good job pulling at 65-70 on I-95, it was a 600 mile weekend. I do need to add a sway bar and air bags, even with the ProPride it almost felt like I had some sway but I think it was the Ex's tail end.

I did learn that the block heater and the wife's curling irons pulled too much juice and popped the circuit breaker in the coach.

Before we left the park I re-winterized the camper, I am glad I did it there because we had an ice storm last night. I will say that I was surprised how well the propane furnace in the camper worked. We did run an infrared heater just to cut back on propane use.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
In the cooler weather when at campgrounds with full hookups we always use electric heaters and leave the propane furnace off (we have run it but very rarely). Of course our current TT is a 50 amp model so without the 2 AC units running we have plenty of juice available.
On most CG electric posts they will have a separate 15/20 amp connection as well as the 30 and or 50 amp RV receptacles, you would do better to use that 15/20 amp (regular duplex receptacle) to power your block heater and not add that load to your trailer's 30 amp connection. We will use that power source on longer stays for some of our patio stuff, like the electric grill and ground lights.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Yup, I should have done that. It was in the low 30's so I didn't bother hooking it up a couple of mornings, it started just fine.

I have a 50 AMP with 1 A/C unit model too but the campground only had a 30 AMP.

We had condensation build up at night with the 4 of us and 2 dogs, what is the best way to stop this?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
3 months away from our first camping trip of 2015! woot woot

Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Excurvelle
We had condensation build up at night with the 4 of us and 2 dogs, what is the best way to stop this?
I fulltime and I use a dehumidifier. They say it helps to crack a window, but it's too cold for that in ND haha.
Use the vent in the bath while showering helps too, but I just run the dehumidifier when it warms up to the 20's or so. Below that everything is frozen anyway.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Yeah, no way to really eliminate the condensation when it's cold outside and you have a group of people (& pets) inside breathing, dehumidifier would be the only real method of reducing the amount of water in the air inside a closed up camper. We have camped in just below freezing temps a couple of times and only had heavy condensation on the windows which gathered in the bottom of the metal frames, only saw a tiny bit of water beading on a side wall of one slideout right next to my head in the bedroom. I must be a heavy breather when I sleep!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Yeah, no way to really eliminate the condensation when it's cold outside and you have a group of people (& pets) inside breathing, dehumidifier would be the only real method of reducing the amount of water in the air inside a closed up camper. We have camped in just below freezing temps a couple of times and only had heavy condensation on the windows which gathered in the bottom of the metal frames, only saw a tiny bit of water beading on a side wall of one slideout right next to my head in the bedroom. I must be a heavy breather when I sleep!
I've had my shirt in the closet freeze to the outside wall, also it gets cold enough your refrigerator doesn't cool. I have to leave all the cabinet/closet doors open so my food and clothes don't freeze haha.

My poor camper. Headed back to NC in a week for about 3 weeks then up to Pa for a few years!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Hey John, where abouts in Western PA will you be? I'm sure it'll be pretty far from me but it looks like our son will be going to The Ohio State University in the fall so we should be transiting that area more frequently.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Hey John, where abouts in Western PA will you be? I'm sure it'll be pretty far from me but it looks like our son will be going to The Ohio State University in the fall so we should be transiting that area more frequently.
Somewhere north of Pittsburgh, closer to Erie. I'll let ya know when I head up! It will be an awesome job, Not moving for 2 years will be nice for a change. Although I always like to move it's hard to save money moving so much.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your son making a great choice in schools! I may or may not be a HUGE Buckeye fan...if he ever has a student ticket to sell...

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!