Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Turtle !
Make sure to use motorcraft filters. They are very good and not expensive.
Use the oil recommended (I think 5w20), the motorcraft blend is also quite good and not expensive.

Some earlier v10's had some sparkplugs blow out. Check the torque on them and if you are there might as well swap them.
Coils and/or boots could also be an issue if they are worn. inspect when doing plugs, probably just replace the boots since they are not expensive.

I would also do the transmission flush that Mark-K wrote up. Will cost you a bit of money for the fluid (200 on full flush with mobil-1) but your trans will thank you.
I also did the power steering flush, very easy and only takes a couple bottles. same as what's in the transmission.

Flush/bleed your brakes. And inspect the pads/rotors. At the very least service the slide pins on the brake calipers. The front ones tend to gum up and not slide well causing uneven braking and the vehicle pulling to one side. Easy to do and doesn't cost much (some high temp grease).

Fluid in differentials also should be serviced. It's something most people never do.

Also check the front swaybar bushings. They tend to wear out and the swaybar will be nothing more than a piece of useless weight. Grease them well and get new bushings. Several writeups about it here.
Rear swaybar is a great idea too.
I think that about covers it. Most stuff is quite easy to work on these trucks. It's so big that there is lots of space.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys

I just wrapped my trailering season and am looking at doing my upgrades over winter so I will be ready for spring camping. On my 6.0 I have the 3015 SCT programmer and had very basic options set like the tow haul tune and the jake brake setting enabled. When looking through the tuner there seems to be way more things that can be adjusted but I fear are way over my head (shift points etc). I remember reading over the last year people talking about individuals who have reliable custom tunes that really help to utilize the power in these trucks, while keep mileage and reliability in mind.

Does anyone know of people I could get in touch with that would possess these tunes?

Thanks
Jim

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Hooking up the TT tomorrow for its/our maiden voyage. I am picking up a Scan Gauge 2 today, oil and filter has been changed, fluids look good. TT has been equipped with stuff, unfortunately wife sometimes over packs. This will definitely be an adventure!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO_FID
Hey Guys

I just wrapped my trailering season and am looking at doing my upgrades over winter so I will be ready for spring camping. On my 6.0 I have the 3015 SCT programmer and had very basic options set like the tow haul tune and the jake brake setting enabled. When looking through the tuner there seems to be way more things that can be adjusted but I fear are way over my head (shift points etc). I remember reading over the last year people talking about individuals who have reliable custom tunes that really help to utilize the power in these trucks, while keep mileage and reliability in mind.

Does anyone know of people I could get in touch with that would possess these tunes?

Thanks
Jim
Jim,

We do a variety of custom tunes for a wide variety of cars, trucks and RV's. Feel free to ask us any questions that you may have. Email or call us anytime. We would be happy to make some recommendations for you in order to get you where you want to be with increase power, torque, economy and driveability.

Chris

Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Pinkturtle
New User
Thanks for the help guys!

New question: Is the Excursion pre-wired for brake controls? I'll need to install a brake controller and understand that it will connect to a switch under the dash. Besides hooking it up and testing it, how will I know if the truck is ready to accommodate the controller?

Sorry for the rookie questions!

Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,078 Likes on 555 Posts
Yes, it is prewired for a brake controller. The plug is stuck up under the dash below the radio and you'll need to get the appropriate pigtail connection for the brake controller you buy. Hardest part is actually finding the plug under there, but once you do it's plug and play.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Captn B
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pinkturtle
Thanks for the help guys!

New question: Is the Excursion pre-wired for brake controls? I'll need to install a brake controller and understand that it will connect to a switch under the dash. Besides hooking it up and testing it, how will I know if the truck is ready to accommodate the controller?

Sorry for the rookie questions!
I assume that you have a factory installed hitch and trailer wiring under your rear bumper, correct? If so, than yes you will have a plug in connector under the dash above the gas pedal. You can by a wiring adapter from the manufacture of the brake controller. It should plug into the brake controller and the Ford factory connector.

It should be a very easy install. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
We just got back from our first RV trip. The weather in Myrtle Beach was warm and enjoyable. The Ex handled the camper just fine BUT my EOTs were high while my ECT was in range. The EOTs went up to 239 at one point. Looks like I need to do an oil and egr cooler along with a VC-9 flush (not in that order). I will also be looking at air bags to bring the tail end up some.

Below is a pic before we headed out.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Nice looking EX!

Sitting a little low in the rear!
Robot Check Robot Check

or

Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 57340 LoadLifter 5000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 57340 LoadLifter 5000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit: Automotive

The cooler is labor intensive but needed! I had similar issues with mine. I saw EOT go up to 240 F and water temps at 220 F while towing. Water temps recovered nicely, EOT did not! I will find out in a week if the cooler fixed the issue!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Nice looking EX!

Sitting a little low in the rear!
Robot Check

or

Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 57340 LoadLifter 5000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit: Automotive

The cooler is labor intensive but needed! I had similar issues with mine. I saw EOT go up to 240 F and water temps at 220 F while towing. Water temps recovered nicely, EOT did not! I will find out in a week if the cooler fixed the issue!

Keep me posted on the cooler repair. I am thinking about the Bulletproof modification with EGR cooler and the factory oil cooler rather than the external cooler. When that is done I will also do the STC.

My truck is a 2wd, is there a difference between the 2wd and 4wd rear air bags?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Keep me posted on the cooler repair. I am thinking about the Bulletproof modification with EGR cooler and the factory oil cooler rather than the external cooler. When that is done I will also do the STC.
My truck is a 2wd, is there a difference between the 2wd and 4wd rear air bags?
According to Firestone's website there is no difference in the kits for 2wd or 4wd.

When you say bulletproof modification with the EGR cooler, are you talking about an external oil cooler kit or replacing the internal cooler and deleting the EGR valve and cooler?

If you are talking about the external oil cooler kit for a bunch of $ that is your choice. It makes it easier to change the cooler in the future, but in a few folks opinion not worth the $.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
According to Firestone's website there is no difference in the kits for 2wd or 4wd.

When you say bulletproof modification with the EGR cooler, are you talking about an external oil cooler kit or replacing the internal cooler and deleting the EGR valve and cooler?

If you are talking about the external oil cooler kit for a bunch of $ that is your choice. It makes it easier to change the cooler in the future, but in a few folks opinion not worth the $.
I want to use the Bulletproof EGR cooler and the Ford oil cooler. I figure if I flush the system correctly the Ford oil cooler will be fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 AM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
I did a delete on my 6.0 and I don't regret it at all. It was a good move. Add a coolant filter to your new ford oil cooler, and you should be fine.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Guys and Gals, I need advice on what brand RV antifreeze pump to buy to put antifreeze into the plumbing of the camper?

The CAMCO one has bad reviews on a few sites.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!