Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by jspence105
Do you think they will be enough? Even at 11% TW he's over 800lbs. I know I have to be careful to keep weight off the tongue to keep from overloading the hitch.
Originally Posted by pgguru
The 7500LBS is just the most it can ever weigh It is probably 6K dry and I tow at maybe 6500 to 7000
but that is still taking the 800# to there limit fast

I assumed the 7500 lbs was the GVW, so seeing as the front is being loaded to above the unhitched weight with the 1200# bars and he is more than likely running the TT at less than the GVW I think the 800# bars might be the ticket to settle out the ride. Of course getting this combo on a scale would help to determine exactly what is going on and how much the EX and trailer ACTUALLY weigh.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I just got and installed those $17.95 led panels with 1156 adapters (10 each) and so far they look great! Can't wait to see how they work out the next time out.
OK, you twisted my arm and I ordered the same

Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I assumed the 7500 lbs was the GVW, so seeing as the front is being loaded to above the unhitched weight with the 1200# bars and he is more than likely running the TT at less than the GVW I think the 800# bars might be the ticket to settle out the ride. Of course getting this combo on a scale would help to determine exactly what is going on and how much the EX and trailer ACTUALLY weigh.

I need to hit the scales myself, I used a bathroom scale to weigh my tongue weight at 850lbs. The problem with going to the scales is I have to take the trailer there and getting it back in my driveway is a nightmare. I've had fairly good results measuring the front and bringing it back to +0.25"

Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM
pgguru
Senior User
My bathroom scale is glass and digital. I don't think it will work

Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Vwags
Elder User
My bathroom scale is glass and digital. I don't think it will work
Haven't done it but saw this a while ago

Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
pgguru
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vwags
Haven't done it but saw this a while ago

Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com
thats what I meant but I still don't think it will work with the scale I have
it might be able to tell me its body fat and water % I was going to look for a used scale at a thrift shop or drag it to the closest truck stop

Old 07-09-2014, 02:08 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
thats what I meant but I still don't think it will work with the scale I have
it might be able to tell me its body fat and water % I was going to look for a used scale at a thrift shop or drag it to the closest truck stop

Go to the truckstop, their scale will give you the steer, drive and trailer axle weights separately. This info is needed to get your rig dialed in as good as it can be, see the link I posted earlier from RV.net.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by enormiss
OK, you twisted my arm and I ordered the same

I am quite the stickler for performance and I was quite surprised at the light output of these. I checked over and over again the light output compared to the stock incandescent bulbs, I was pleased. For the price a guy can't go wrong at least giving them a shot. I hope they last and don't "go out" fast.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Arrived yesterday via usps, quicker than I expected.
Installed yesterday, all worked perfectly.
Did all the interior and had one leftover for the patio light.
Will have to look at the other exterior fixtures, know I can atleast replace the 2 rear overheads and the front service light with the same led's

Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I replaced a few interior lights with LED's last summer, my plan was to change out the rest this summer and do all of the exterior lights also. I found some nice taillights off a brand new International 4700 chassis cab.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
So yesterday I come after a day of walking up and down hills at the Iola swap meet and smell something when I get out of the car. Smells like lp gas, I'm thinking "someone has a problem". I thought the smell was deluded all over my area but as I was walking up to the house and past the TT all of a sudden the smell was gone. Uh oh... I go up by the lp tanks on the TT and sure enough I hear one letting gas out (the sound of the gas flowing threw the valve). I hurry and run to the inside of the camper thinking someone bumped a oven **** or something. I carefully open the door figuring the whole inside of the camper is full of gas but to my surprise there was none. All the ***** were off on the stove, furnace was off, fridge was off, huh. So I go back out by the tanks and feel down by the hose that comes off the tanks and connects to the camper. There it was, all wet and blowing gas, it looked as though something scraped against the hose in multiple spots and somehow this one spot just opened up. Normally shut the lp tanks off after a trip but always have to wait for my wife to empty the fridge and freezer and don't shut them off for a day or so after we get back. I forgot this time and luckily caught it fast and right here at home. Local camper dealer had the hose right on the shelf, half an hour and it is all fixed and ready to go.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I use my hand, it's highly calibrated.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I use my hand, it's highly calibrated.
suppose that is one way I was thinking of a reason for a new toy and was also thinking it could be like touching a brake rotor.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
So yesterday I come after a day of walking up and down hills at the Iola swap meet and smell something when I get out of the car. Smells like lp gas, I'm thinking "someone has a problem". I thought the smell was deluded all over my area but as I was walking up to the house and past the TT all of a sudden the smell was gone. Uh oh... I go up by the lp tanks on the TT and sure enough I hear one letting gas out (the sound of the gas flowing threw the valve). I hurry and run to the inside of the camper thinking someone bumped a oven **** or something. I carefully open the door figuring the whole inside of the camper is full of gas but to my surprise there was none. All the ***** were off on the stove, furnace was off, fridge was off, huh. So I go back out by the tanks and feel down by the hose that comes off the tanks and connects to the camper. There it was, all wet and blowing gas, it looked as though something scraped against the hose in multiple spots and somehow this one spot just opened up. Normally shut the lp tanks off after a trip but always have to wait for my wife to empty the fridge and freezer and don't shut them off for a day or so after we get back. I forgot this time and luckily caught it fast and right here at home. Local camper dealer had the hose right on the shelf, half an hour and it is all fixed and ready to go.

Glad you found it right away. I leave my tanks open all the time, untell it's time to put it away for the winter anyways. That Fridge is on and running from the first camping trip to the last. As soon as I get home I plug the camper in, so the battery charges and the Fridge switches to electric.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!