Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice job on the tank! I also marked my tank in the same fashion when I was pulling it out for cleaning. Your tank looks quite small to me, from the pics I would say mine is nearly twice as long as yours. (lol) I think my tank is a 40 gallon under the sofa, and is very very easy to pull out luckily.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Nice job on the tank! I also marked my tank in the same fashion when I was pulling it out for cleaning. Your tank looks quite small to me, from the pics I would say mine is nearly twice as long as yours. (lol) I think my tank is a 40 gallon under the sofa, and is very very easy to pull out luckily.

Yeah, yeah everything about you is bigger. It is only a 20 gallon tank.

I pulled my TrailManor with a Honda Pilot for three years and I still can not rationalize pulling more trailer for what I do (hunting with dogs 20~ days per year, camping with family 6~ days per year, race weekends 12~ days per year) and how often I pull. After every one week or longer trip I think about getting something larger and I talk myself out of it.

After a trip with DW to the KY Bourbon Trail a few years back she saw a 5th wheel new for only $38K, yeah that is great, the truck to pull it is only about $65K and if I am drinking you won't drive it.

To each his own.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is time for a new brake controller. I am looking at a prodigy p3 or something like this, http://www.brakecontroller.com/direclink.htm. anyone with experience have an opinion?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pkthomas
It is time for a new brake controller. I am looking at a prodigy p3 or something like this, DirecLink Brake Controller. anyone with experience have an opinion?
Prodigy P3 is the way to go.
Good luck.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by pkthomas
It is time for a new brake controller. I am looking at a prodigy p3 or something like this, DirecLink Brake Controller. anyone with experience have an opinion?

I have no experience with the one in your link but I can say that I'm VERY happy with my P3.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I think many if not most of us here us the P3 controllers. I as well love my P3! I have had a few others in other vehicles I have used over the years and nothing compares to the P3.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
Thanks for the input. The P3 is on its way. I just hope I get it in time to install it this weekend.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Graduated to hard side

Well, after 14 years, we gave up the pop-up and moved to a hard side.

I figured the X would have to work a bit harder to drag this thing about, but the 35 mile trip back from the dealer didn't seem to bother anything but the gas mileage.

The good news here is that I gave me a reason to upgrade the exhaust to 4" turbo back MBRP... "you see honey, because the truck is working harder, it needs a bigger pipe to carry away the heat.

I'm not sure if she bought it or just let me do it because she got the camper.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by NewXer
Well, after 14 years, we gave up the pop-up and moved to a hard side.

I figured the X would have to work a bit harder to drag this thing about, but the 35 mile trip back from the dealer didn't seem to bother anything but the gas mileage.

The good news here is that I gave me a reason to upgrade the exhaust to 4" turbo back MBRP... "you see honey, because the truck is working harder, it needs a bigger pipe to carry away the heat.

I'm not sure if she bought it or just let me do it because she got the camper.

Always remember "SAFETY". For the safety of the children, the safety of the engine, safety of ....

Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by NewXer
Whoa, don't drive that beast with gas in it! Diesel engines don't survive runnin of gas!!!!

Ok, All kidding aside, your fuel mileage shouldn't have taken too much of a hit.

Stewart

Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Always remember "SAFETY". For the safety of the children, the safety of the engine, safety of ....
That is always my first concern... but thanks for the reminder.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Whoa, don't drive that beast with gas in it! Diesel engines don't survive runnin of gas!!!!
Fortunately, I've never had that scare...

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Ok, All kidding aside, your fuel mileage shouldn't have taken too much of a hit.
I get to find out the mileage question this Sunday when we leave for a road trip to the Upper Peninsula of of Michigan, headwaters of the Missippi in Minnesota, Mt. Rushmore, Colorado Springs, and then back home.

This will be the first time in 10 year's I've truly exercised the X. I guess I'm saying the trips with the pop-up and Boy Scout trailers were just sprints.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
If you go by Stevens Point in central WI on your way to the U.P. stop on in!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
JJensen79
Junior User
You're going to have great weather in the UP. We're headed there in about a month.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Senior User
Since this is the Camper Thread, I thought I would make a post about "Liquid Roof". My Avion does not have a rubber roof, but my Father in Law's motorhome rubber roof was so thin and leaking at the front seam. A rough estimate for a new rubber roof was $5,000. So last weekend I tried the liquid rubber roof.

All in all I think it is a pretty great product. Unfortunately he had a fleetwood product so I had the use the "proflex" primer which turned it into a two stage project. The primer was the only problem that I had. The directions state to make sure you put on the liquid roof when it is still sticky. It down right right sucked walking on the roof with you feet sticking to the roof. I would suggest using scaffold if anyone needs the primer. It is very thick and has a rubber consistency. I don't see how anything could leak past it. It was a lot of work, but all in all $500.00 for everything compared to $5000.00 sounds like a pretty good deal. For anyone out there with a rubber roof in need of repair I would recommend this stuff first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!