Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With regards to the Back-up cameras - I have one wireless and one wired camera. I use both. The wired camera is on the back of the EX and is used for hitch-up. The wireless camera is used when traveling down the road. It has a magnetic mount and I have a small metal plate attached to the inside of the back window. I put the wireless camera there and power it off a cigarette lighter plug in the trailer. The matching receiver has a video output that I run to my media player in the dash. I just switch to Aux video when i want to see behind me when traveling.

Once at my destination, I pull the wireless camera out of the trailer and place it on the ground, a table, nearby tree, etc. at the rear of the parking spot for the TT. I can then back the TT into the spot using the Aux video view (with the wife as a second spotter if necessary). Bob's Your Uncle, Fanny's Your Aunt.

D

Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
That sounds very interesting! Is the wireless video pretty decent?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Forest
On the other hand, it is probably not the sidewall flex that is directly causing your sway problems. It is normal for the trailer to push the truck in opposite directions with a conventional hitch. Sidewall flex contributes to this, but the aerodynamic forces of a passing truck will push you around no matter how stiff your sidewalls are.

I appreciate all the info everyone has posted on the tire deal!

Forest yes I understand no matter what the X and trailer will get pushed around by wind and other trucks no matter what tire I get but if I can help to reduce it I am all for it. Later this summer when I get time I will be making a sway bar for the X and after doing some checking I may even slap one on the TT just to see what happens. I will get a video later on of the sidewall flex when pushing on the TT and post it up. It looks like the TT is sitting on balloons.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I appreciate all the info everyone has posted on the tire deal!

Forest yes I understand no matter what the X and trailer will get pushed around by wind and other trucks no matter what tire I get but if I can help to reduce it I am all for it. Later this summer when I get time I will be making a sway bar for the X and after doing some checking I may even slap one on the TT just to see what happens. I will get a video later on of the sidewall flex when pushing on the TT and post it up. It looks like the TT is sitting on balloons.
Snowseeker,

I am not a Hensley fanatic. However, I can say that our HA has been of excellent use to us for now over eight (8) years on three (3) big travel trailers.

The advantage of the HA, the Pro-Pride, and the Pull-Rite hitches is really straightforward. These three (3) hitches effectively translate the pivot point from behind the rear axle to just about at the rear axle. These hitches minimize the steering effect of aerodynamic loads on the trailer.

Other hitch designs, even the best, have to make do with resisting these forces at the point of application (the ball behind the axle).

By translating the point of application of side forces, the net effect of passing trucks becomes almost negligible.

Other measures are always good and contribute stability. In my opinion, the list of important stability measures:

1) Good trailer weight distribution in the trailer. At minimum, 11 - 12% should be on the hitch. 15% maximum. Heavy loads moved toward center of trailer (not toward back or front, if possible).
2) Good hitch weight distribution. Move at least 30% of the hitch load to the front axle. Front wheel arch should not lift upon application of full trailer load. Trailer should be level after fully hitched.
3) Good tow vehicle straight line stability. Rear sway bar (such as Hellwig), good shocks (Bilstein/Rancho), good ball joints, LRE tires at 80 psig when towing, adequate springs on the Excursion (such as V,B), etc.
4) Adequate tires/wheels on the trailer (at max sidewall psig) combined with trailer operating within GTWR (gross trailer weight rating).

These are my best recommendations after towing travel trailers for more than 10 years and more than 50,000 miles.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yeah, I make sure eveything is leveled out as best as possible in the X and trailers. You can see in the pic I have the rig all pretty flat and the X doesn't squat in the rear or lift in the front. Ball joints and everything is up to snuff. Tires all pumped up to max psi and no loose bearings on any trailers. From what I see I believe most of my problems right now are in the soft tires on the TT. Nothing against the hensley or any other hitches but I am hoping to get my rig dialed in without the aid of a distributing hitch.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Lowboy44
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This a very cool thread for us campers. I like using the product called Awesome for cleaning any black marks off of my camper. It can usually be found at any dollar store.
Happy Camping

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
New TT owner and Excursion owner introducing myself as I will likely have a pile of questions while setting up the X and TT for my first trip in April.

I bought a Toyota Tundra double cab with 6 passenger seating first, and after struggling to pull my newly purchased camper back from the dealer in Kentucky(63 mph max) I upgraded to a 2005 X with the PSD.

My camper is currently in storage, and my X has been located in the service bay of a Ford dealer for 43 days with the engine pulled waiting for the warranty company to give the ok to a $6500 claim. The OK finally came and i should have the truck back by mid next week.

Even though it has been challenging getting setup to start camping, and my X and TT have yet to be hooked up, my family is anxiously awaiting our first trip in April.

Brian

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's mine. I worked hard to fix up four other Sunlines before I sold the last one in order to pick up one of the last remaining new ones in the country after the factory shut down. I don't use it much at the moment, but I plan to keep it as long or longer than the vehicle towing it

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Lowboy44
Senior User

My TT is currently parked as a seasonal but I'm equipping my X just in case I have to move it

Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Here's mine. I worked hard to fix up four other Sunlines before I sold the last one in order to pick up one of the last remaining new ones in the country after the factory shut down. I don't use it much at the moment, but I plan to keep it as long or longer than the vehicle towing it

Nice looking TT and Excursion!

I looked up the specs of your TT and they are very close to mine. what trailer prep have you done to the X to pull that? My 2005 X has upgraded shocks and a Prodigy brake controller only. i have been wondering if I need any upgrades before our first camping trip (550 miles roundtrip)

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
Nice looking TT and Excursion!

I looked up the specs of your TT and they are very close to mine. what trailer prep have you done to the X to pull that? My 2005 X has upgraded shocks and a Prodigy brake controller only. i have been wondering if I need any upgrades before our first camping trip (550 miles roundtrip)
Thanks!

There's been a ton done. The one pictured has an upgraded/modified hitch, four corner air bags, factory front/rear sway bars, and a Prodigy as well. Still running the factory shocks, but I don't expect to do that for much longer. Most of that all was done for my dad's trailer though, which is a heavy little guy for only being about 2" longer than the Sunline:

The thing about the Sunline is that it seems pretty balanced. It still has ~1175# tongue weight, but the Ex can handle it easier than the Weekend Warrior.

So far, I think you're set pretty good for a first trip. Just make sure your Ex did come with the tow package and that it includes the rear sway bar. Also, what kind of tires do you have? These factory BFG have been very stable and great towing tires. I've towed the Sunline quite a few times with my '02, mainly because I wanted to keep the '05's miles down, and for all those times it had the original factory (awful) shocks on, no rear sway bar, and cushy Bridgestone Dueler tires. With the proper weight distribution and sway control on the trailer, it wasn't that bad of an experience, but the '05 is much more enjoyable. The Ex doesn't rock side to side as much in the rear with that sway bar.

No matter what you do, don't use a hitch with just simple weight distribution and a friction sway control!!! That's too light duty of equipment for any trailer near our size.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
for tires, I have takeoff wheels/tires from a 2008-2010 F250sd. they are E rated Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts in 275/65/20.

Oh crap, after reading your last line..... i assume the base model weight distribution hitch with 1000lb bars and friction sway controller that i bought with my TT could be much better.

How is the ride with front and rear bags when not towing?

I dont know if I have a rear swaybar, and my truck is down at a ford dealer so I cant check. it does have two batteries and I assume a bigger alternator, is that part of the trailer tow package?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
for tires, I have takeoff wheels/tires from a 2008-2010 F250sd. they are E rated Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts in 275/65/20.

Oh crap, after reading your last line..... i assume the base model weight distribution hitch with 1000lb bars and friction sway controller that i bought with my TT could be much better.

How is the ride with front and rear bags when not towing?

I dont know if I have a rear swaybar, and my truck is down at a ford dealer so I cant check. it does have two batteries and I assume a bigger alternator, is that part of the trailer tow package?
Oh yeah, you had those 20s. I remember the picture now.

Two batteries are standard with the PSD. I thought the tow mirrors were the big indicator of tow package, if they are factory original.

I guess that last line did come off a little harsh. Certainly, a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH IS A GOOD THING. I meant specifically that combo with a friction sway control. Even cranked really tight, it doesn't really have the ability to keep the trailer from swaying. Ideally you need a dual cam, Equal-i-zer, etc. that has more sway controlling ability. I mean, you can tow with the friction sway system, but just be careful and realize it won't eliminate almost all the sway.

The bars might be a little under rated too, depending on the specs of the trailer. I chose my 1200s based on a recommendation of a good friend because with a dry tongue weight of about 920 if memory serves, it wouldn't take much to get over 1000. The same friend put it on a tongue scale loaded down, and that's where I got the 1175 from.

My dad's trailer started out with a 1200# bar and friction sway system. It was a nightmare to pull anywhere. It was all over the road. Then after I learned of the other sway control options out there and after I went with the Dual Cam on the Sunline, we changed that out on the toy hauler. Now it's up to 1700# bars and the dual cam and it's pretty enjoyable to pull now, even though the F-450 makes it even more enjoyable. The little V10 with that trailer wasn't quite enough.

My best suggestion is to pay careful attention to everything on your first trip and run with it like you have. That will help you determine if you're comfortable with it like it is or if you need something different. Make sure to have those tires aired up too. I don't know what people typically run in them, but I've usually done 65 out of 80 in the factory size ones, sometimes more with the toy hauler for the rears.

The ride with the air bags not towing isn't that much different from stock, if they're aired down of course. It's hard to compare though because the two have always ridden much differently due to tire differences and shock differences, with the '02 always being much softer. I'm not sure if they put the wrong springs under it from the factory or if the factory BFGs are that stiff, but it does have a stiffer ride.

If I did it all over again, I'd probably go the V/B spring route before the air helper springs. They've had a few odd problems through the years with air lines and compressors/controls, even though Air Lift may have improved now. Unfortunately, for the toy hauler, the rear air bags are the only way get the rear end up so it's only dropping a couple inches versus a lot, even with the weight distribution. We did the front to try to improve ride quality, but short of actually cutting part of the spring out, it can't do much of that.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Our camping is about to take a huge step forward! I hope to have our Coleman Bayside tent trailer sold within a few weeks, I am meeting with a Lady this afternoon that thinks it would be Ok to tow with her Dodge Journey..... Rated at 2,500 lbs with a dry weight of the tent trailer at about 3,000 lbs. So I will have to do some education with her and make sure she has another rig that is capable of towing the trailer safely.

In April we will take delivery of a new Artic Fox 25Y 30' travel trailer that we will tow with the Excursion, P3 brake controller and a P3 Pro Pride hitch with snap up chains due to the new front clip on the AF. Can't wait!!!!
Happy camping.
Pat

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I have been towing all my stuff with a bone stock X so far. I feel the only things I really need are new shocks and a rear sway bar and the X will be just fine.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!