Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Posting Guru

Forest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Official camper thread?

I thought it would be nice to have a camper thread where we can discuss not only pulling with the X (on topic ) but equipment you take camping, how you take care of your campers, handy items to have in the camper.

Reason I wanted to start a camping thread is mainly because I wanted to gloat about my new camping accessory!

Click the image to open in full size.

I have been looking at generators for a long time and knew I wanted a honda. For a year+ watching ebay I never saw any that were much cheaper then new unless they were beat to crap. Got this one on sale for $895! I saw the sale earlier in the week but waited, when I went back they were sold out including the one off the shelf. Had to go to another town and luckly they had the same sale and only had one left! They didn't have a display unit just the one new one in the box.

Anyhow last summer I met a guy in another campsite with an EU2000 and I got to talk to him a bit about it. He told me if you shut everything off you can start the AC and once it gets going you can then turn a few lights on or whatnot. Now I don't plan to have to run AC since we mostly camp in northern WI I mainly want it for charging the camper batteries when they run low instead of having to run the truck. If it will run the AC that will juts be a plus to me. Anyone else have experience with the EU2000 and if it will run the AC unit?
Man, I am JEALOUS. I want one or two of those Honda generators. A/C in Oklahoma is mandatory, so no sense talking about solar power.

'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0L PSD >176,000 miles
ARP Studs, SCT, Coolant filter, MBRP 4", Banks Techni-Cooler, Blue Spring, V/B w/RAS; Hellwig; Red Head; Bilsteins; Michelin M/S2 on 18"x8" 04 Ford wheels; Kenwood DNX9960 w/Rear Camera ; Propride 3P on Arctic Fox 32D
'07 E-450 Hauling 2008 Coach House 272XLFD 6.8L V10 >18,900 miles
Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I've ran it twice now, once for initial heat cycle/break in and another time to show a friend.

Runs very quiet and smooth even on eco with two 300watt lights it didn't hardly grunt. Its a good thing to have around the house as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey SnowSeeker - what did you do about the interconnect between the Generator and the TT? I think the EU2000i only has a 20A duplex outlet which means some form of "plug adapter" to get to the usual TT plug (30 A to 20A adapter).
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Yeah I just use the standard 30-20A plug you can get pretty much anywhere. Thats what I use to plug it in at home as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
We had a barn built so we could get electricity on-site in Colorado!

No, the Jeep does *NOT* haul the TT.
We bought the TT it in FL, and had it hauled to Colorado a few years ago.
A friend out there put it in place for the first winter.
Then after we had a septic system put in (and lateral run for camper)
we rented a suburban and moved the TT to it's
semi-permanent spot now - until we win the lottery and can build
a home.
Attached Images

'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Post Fiend

Looks like a nice quiet place! Nice trees as well.

For camper storage, should the 4 corner jacks be put down to support the camper and take the weight off the suspension a bit or does it not matter?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
In the winter picture you can see the 13,xxx foot mountain peeks
through the trees. We have 35 acres of "forest", the camper
is @ 8800 ft. - we hired an old-timer who worked in the Colorado
mines to dynamite in the access driveway up the mountain.
I'll post a couple of pictures in my gallery tonight.

I don't think the corner supports take much weight off the springs.
They are intended to decrease the "bounce". In fact they say to
NOT use them to level the camper, since they are only made
out of thin metal.

Now that my camper is in it's semi-permanent spot, I built "cribbing"
out of 4x4 pressure treated lumber under each corner and also under
the tongue. This has eliminated any bounce and I have also lowered
the corner jacks as well. I used 2 12"x12" patio pavers as a base
under each corner, and placed 2 - 4x4 side by side in alternating
directions. I spent about a day getting it all leveled.
I have a 20 Ton bottle jack which made it easy to lift each corner and
put in the right size "stack" of wood. I also used 1/2" plywood in
between some of the layers of 4x4 to fine tune the height.
(I spend lots of time "thinking" before I "do")
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior User

bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
In the winter picture you can see the 13,xxx foot mountain peeks
through the trees. We have 35 acres of "forest", the camper
is @ 8800 ft. - we hired an old-timer who worked in the Colorado
mines to dynamite in the access driveway up the mountain.
I'll post a couple of pictures in my gallery tonight.

I don't think the corner supports take much weight off the springs.
They are intended to decrease the "bounce". In fact they say to
NOT use them to level the camper, since they are only made
out of thin metal.

Now that my camper is in it's semi-permanent spot, I built "cribbing"
out of 4x4 pressure treated lumber under each corner and also under
the tongue. This has eliminated any bounce and I have also lowered
the corner jacks as well. I used 2 12"x12" patio pavers as a base
under each corner, and placed 2 - 4x4 side by side in alternating
directions. I spent about a day getting it all leveled.
I have a 20 Ton bottle jack which made it easy to lift each corner and
put in the right size "stack" of wood. I also used 1/2" plywood in
between some of the layers of 4x4 to fine tune the height.
(I spend lots of time "thinking" before I "do")
beautiful, I like any place that requires 4 wheel chains to get to
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain View Post
beautiful, I like any place that requires 4 wheel chains to get to
It's our dream retirement spot.
And that Jeep has lockers front and rear!

You can't tell in that picture, but there is a 10ft utility trailer
hitched on. We "tried" to haul up our "stuff" from a local storage
shed the day before. We got to our property and there
was a few inches of snow on the road - BUT with ice underneath.

We didn't get very far and we got stuck - all 4 tires spinning on the jeep.
I got out - wife's foot on the brakes now,
chocked the trailer wheels on the hill.
Unhitched the Jeep - slowly, went to town and bought 2 sets of chains.
Came back - trailer still where I left it !!! hitched up and pulled
up the hill no problem.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
For those that really want to use their TT at home like I do (maintence, spare Bedroom, Man Cave, etc.) , I found a spare breaker in my electrical panel in the garage and just added a 30A RV outlet on the wall near the Garage Entry door.

That way when I have the TT at home, I can just plug it in and run off "house power" as if I were in a full hook-up Camp Ground. Makes getting it "cooled down" for trips and loaded up a piece of cake. I also have a sewer "tap" next to the driveway for the holding tanks.....

D
Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Postmaster

TXsailer: So, how often does YOUR wife send you to the "dog house"?

We have a very uncomfortable couch - so I try to behave!
With a TT outside with Electricity, water, sewer I might get in
trouble a LOT more often!
(football season and NASCAR cover all 12 months I think?)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Elder User

jd58980 has a good reputation on FTE.jd58980 has a good reputation on FTE.jd58980 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
For those that really want to use their TT at home like I do (maintence, spare Bedroom, Man Cave, etc.) , I found a spare breaker in my electrical panel in the garage and just added a 30A RV outlet on the wall near the Garage Entry door.

That way when I have the TT at home, I can just plug it in and run off "house power" as if I were in a full hook-up Camp Ground. Makes getting it "cooled down" for trips and loaded up a piece of cake. I also have a sewer "tap" next to the driveway for the holding tanks.....

D
I did the same thing for my Motorhome. My neighbor is an electrican, he ran wire and made me a plug in the backyard where I store the MH and below the main electircal box on the side of the house he also installed a plug. The plugs are on the same circuit, since I only plug the MH into one at a time. The one on the side is when we plan to go away, I move the MH to the side of the house to pack and load the trailers.
2007 Shelby GT500 Convertible, Headers, X-pipe, Borla Exhaust, Dyno'd, went from 448 to 543 HP!
1971 Bronco Sport, 351 W, 39.5 Boggers
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Yeah I just use the standard 30-20A plug you can get pretty much anywhere. Thats what I use to plug it in at home as well.

This style of adapter is fine if you are keeping the batteries charged or are turning on a few lights and MAYBE ok for the vacuum cleaner - but I can tell you from experience they do not hold up well using A/C or space heaters... Spend a couple more $$ and get an adapter that has a cord on it. It appears that separating the 'plugs' goes a long way toward dissipating the heat and have a more acceptable lifespan.

Here's an item I forgot about - water pressure regulators! I've had dozens of these over the years: (the cheap little 'in-line' regulators)
Google Image Result for http://rvgadgets.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Camco-40053-RV-Brass-Water-Pressure-Regulator.jpg

They don't seem to last very long... So I built one using a REAL water pressure regulator and a pressure gauge. I keep a hose tee on the supply-side of regulator so I can have high-pressure for blasting the mud off my boots, but the camper never see's over 50psi. Mine's not unlike this, but my gauge is not built in to regulator, its after reg in a tee:
Google Image Result for http://www.macandchris.com/images/1-5-06regulator2.jpg

On the subject of jacks/leveling blocks, I agree - don't try to use them to 'lift' the camper, they aren't made for that! Meanwhile, I have never understood why they put the jacks at the very front and very rear of the camper. I have experimented ALOT with jack placement and found trailer was most sturdy if I moved the jacks in several feet from the ends. For additional stability (like when family is visiting me at work for a few weeks), I'll add a set of blocks near the center of trailer and put blocks/jacks under the slide(s). My new camper has jacks at the very rear and none up front - this will be changing soon!!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Postmaster

I had a 30AMP 110V outlet installed on the exterior wall of our barn
when it was being built specifically for the camper to plug into.
I installed an external water "faucet" last summer too, so now
I don't have to run a hose under the overhead door that creates
a tiny gap that lets mice into the barn.
I have a "mouse cemetary" around back now.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Post Fiend

I have never had the need for the AC and doubt I ever will need it. I only plug the camper in for charging the batteries or when we are loading and unloading the camper and need the fridge running or something. I know when I plug the camper in you can hear the contact spark and just know it is drawing some power.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM