Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
New User

Alterado is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 fuel system problem...

Hello. first of all excuse me my bad english

I have a 199 F-250 XL superduty long bed 122000 miles on it. 5.4 Liters v8 gasoline with automatic transmission and 38 US gallons fuel tank capacity.

When the truck is cold, idles and runs fine (transmision in parking or neutral and i cant get 5000-6000 rpm easily)

After 20-25 minutes i get the highway the truck has loss of power on heavy acelleration and starts to hesitate, but if i only push the pedal a little the truck acellerates normal but i cant get more than 2000 rpm because the trucks hesitate again. I parked the truck near an store. I put on parking and neutral the tranismission and the same problem (i can get more than 2000). But if i turn off the engine and start it inmediatly in neutral or parking i cant get 5000-6000 rpm again without no problem and for a long time. I run again on the highway and becomes the same problem after a minutes. I you let the truck overnight and start it in the morning idles and run fine (until it fails in 15-20 minutes again)

I replace the fuel filter and fuel pump (when i remove the fuel pump, i noticed that the gasoline was very hot and i dont know if is this normal) but the problem remains. I also changed the TPS sensor, clean canister and hose relief valves and nothing.

Only if you push the acelerattor pedal for a long time (after 5 minutes of hesitation) the service engine light came on and it shows p1150 p1151 and the o/d lights starts to came on and off (i think because the transmision wants to change to a overdrive because receives a signal from TPS and there is no enough fuel or somtehing). If you turn off the engine and restart it the o/d transmision light came off and if you drive for a minutes at low speed and acelerration (in the downton for example) the service engine soon lights come off.

When the truck was fine, i get about 15 mpg but now 7-8 mpg.

Please i need some advice i am a biotech enginerring and sometimes i need to carry refrigerated reactives quickly so i cant let my truck fails again
Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Almost sounds like you have a clogged at converter or two.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMan1 View Post
Almost sounds like you have a clogged at converter or two.
I removed the exahust line and problem continues :/
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior User

pidaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
What about MAF sensor or oxygen sensors?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Could be the MAF. Have you tried cleaning it?

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidaster View Post
What about MAF sensor or oxygen sensors?
I clean the maf and oxygen sensors and nothing. Also i disconnect the MAF because its suppossed that if you disconnect one sensor the PCM gives default values.

what about a bad fuel pressure regulator?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMan1 View Post
Could be the MAF. Have you tried cleaning it?
Yea i clean it also i disconnect it but problem remains.

what about a bad fuel pressure regulator?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 PM

It is possible. Look for fuel in the vacuum line going to it. They will often suck fuel thru them when the diaphragm goes bad. I have also seen the check ball in them go bad and cause fuel to return to the tank when not running and taking a lot of cranking to get the pressure back up again.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
New User

Thanks i will check it.

Recently i noticed that the fuel pump relay its a little bit hotter than the others

could a bad fuel pump relay cause the symptoms?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Maybe if the contacts are burnt and it isn't getting full and constant voltage to the pump.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
2007, 46, 54, cooling, expedition, f150, ford, fuel, hesatation, injection, issues, pipe, problem, problems, pump, system, v8