1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

hi everybody '51 F3 in the UK

Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
jazzydog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everybody '51 F3 in the UK

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164771_191943504155608_100000198798206_786173_8075 463_n.jpg

Just thought i would say hi to you all, having taken delivery of my 1951 F3 truck (project) here in the UK, Hope to have her on the road this summer!!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard! That's a nice looking Truck - Who is that ugly bloke in the picture? Just pulling your chain - Where in the UK? I've got a black 1950 F1 (in about 1,000 pieces - I've got the same goal - re-assemble it this summer).

Welcome

Ben in Austin

Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
jazzydog
Junior User
Hi thanks Ben, I am about 20 miles north of London. Good luck with your re-assembly, i decided to hobble mine together as best as possible for now, looking for a warm barn to store it in this winter, if i find one, i might diss assemble it and tackle the body and paintwork.

Here's another picture (without the ugly bloke lol)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...9_493292_n.jpg

Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey that's nice - Are you keeping it as a dumptruck? Let's see if I get my bearings right - Out towards Cambridge? I spent too much time in Bracknell - Good luck - keep it running & enjoy. I started taking mine apart & just fixing stuff - next thing you know it's all in a bunch of pieces - Luckily we hit bottom & are putting it back together now.

Ben in Austin

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
jazzydog
Junior User
Not far away mate, i live in a village called Flamstead, a few miles North of St. Albans,, or 6 miles south of Luton...

What were you doing in Bracknell ? that's in Berkshire isn't it ?

Good luck with the build up - post some pics!!

cheers, Andy

Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Andy!

That's a good looking truck you have there. It appears to be quite the project. I have a huge respect for any of our overseas brothers who go about building and working on old American iron. They're hard enough and expensive enough to do here locally, I know it takes some right serious fortitude to accomplish the same feat from your side of the pond.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about it. How you came upon it? Was it local to you? Or did you import it from somewhere else? We're always up for a good story.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
WELCOME ABOARD

NICE TRUCK !!!! I was in the navy long ago and my first duty was in Holyloch Scotland . Had some good times there but it sure rained alot. cheers mate

Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Nice truck. I love the dump bed.
I love the look on your face, like a kid in a candy store.
Be sure to keep us updated on what you do with it. Mine is in 1000 pieces so seeing one together is always a treat for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Great looking truck, Andy! What are your plans, restore or modify? Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Andy, great looking 51, they don't get no better than a 51.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
Dude it looks way cool!
I'm down in North Somerset

Old 04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool dude! Looks like a solid old truck...

Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 AM
jazzydog
Junior User
Hey cheers everybody! Its great to hear from others with the same ideas - it verifies to me that i am not a complete nutter! Or at least not the only one lol!

I have been a hot rod fan since i was at school, reading the mags and going to the shows, and also interested in old cars. i felt it was time to get more involved.

Out of all the motors at the shows i had admired the 1950's American trucks the most.

I was staying with a friend last year in Kansas and decided to see if i could find one to import back to England, and i found this one on ebay.usa. What sold it to me was the model year, i love the shape and look! and the fact it was very complete and working, with the V8 engine.

I hired a trailer from U-haul to go and fetch it, it was way up in the north western corner of Kansas on the border with Colorado and we were down in the South eastern corner of Kansas next to the border with Oklahoma.

While it was still in Kansas awaiting shipment i had a local mechanic do some restoration work on it as it had no brakes or exhaust, so they were replaced - we couldn't locate any brake parts for the rear, so a back Dana axle from a '65 ford truck was located and fitted, which we could get brake parts for, and it now has side exit exhausts and new brakes, new radiator and fuel pump.

The first picture is me collecting it from the docks at Chatham in Kent, and yeah , i was chuffed!!

The truck is in amazing condition for its age - very little amount of rot in the cab, although the bed has seen better days and has a fair amount of welding required - not a problem as i am a panel beater by trade. And the truck is amazingly complete and not messed with.

I am currently rewiring it and adding some UK spec lights, so that i can get it through the MOT test (that's the Ministry of Transport, basic safety and functionality exam to you American dudes). Once passed this test i can then register it for use in the UK.

my plan is to get it useable first off and i hope to show it this summer, get used to it and find out how good (or bad) the mechanicals are.

In the future I am considering restoring it with some mechanical modifications just to make it more driveable, I have been looking on this website at some guys who have fitted Jaguar front subframes. At the moment this seems a good option for it, so i am on the lookout for an old jag that can give up its front end!!

it runs ok and sounds alright and i am hoping it will be OK but if not i might install a different engine, preferrably another flathead if i can find one or if not another V8 ford engine - it depends what comes up

The previous owner had it sandblasted and sprayed in a matt black looking paint, the original colour is a dark blue, it was used on his grandfathers farm for years and years. I am going to keep the body standard, probably i will strip it down and have the body dipped and cathodic coated for rust protection, if i paint it i will paint it back the original dark blue colour, but i do like the Matt black!!

Wish me luck !!

Here it is after collection but still in Kansas
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6049308_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7199771_n.jpg

Andy in St Albans, UK

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Björn
Elder User
you have some good plans and the truck looks good to

Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
It really looks good Andy! We have similar road worthiness tests over here but thank goodness we don't have to pass the Smog checks - at least in Texas. Keep posting pictures!

Ben in Austin

Search this Thread