1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Can any one help me remove airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 03:46 PM
pc36
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pulling the dash to replace the heater core. I sure could use some info on how to safely de-activate/remove the passenger side airbag. If you have any other pearls of wisdom to pass along I'll be happy to hear them, as this is my first dash pull on this truck.

Thanks in advance.

'98 F150 4X4 Ext. Cab
4.6L, A/C
118K and runnin' strong

Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi pc36. Welcome to FTE

Here is what the manual says for removing the airbag. The relay cover they are talking about is the cover on the top of the dash...sorta oval shaped. It just pulls up. There are 3 screws that hold the air bag in. They call it an air bag module. The main thing with all the warnings is to remove the battery terminal and dont point the airbag at anyone. The chances of it going off accidently are very, very slim but it's better safe than sorry.

Removal

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (srs) vehicle and when handling an air bag.

WARNING: Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and deployment door pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Do not set a live air bag module down with the deployment door face down.

WARNING: After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritating to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: Air bag modules with discolored or damaged deployment doors must be replaced, not repainted.

WARNING: Vehicle sensor orientation is critical for proper system operation. If a vehicle equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system (srs) is involved in a collision, inspect the sensor mounting bracket and wiring pigtail for deformation. If damaged, the sensor should be replaced whether or not the air bag is deployed.

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any air bag supplemental restraint system (srs) components. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if so equipped).

NOTE: A repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301); refer to Section 414-01 .
Remove the instrument panel relay cover (044F46).

Remove the screws.
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the passenger air bag module.

I hope this helps.