Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
New waterpump leaking

Guys, i installed an Airtex waterpump last Sunday, and now i have a "drip". Justchecked it outnow, and theres a drip under the truck, and the harmonic balancer is wet. Whats this mean? Theres no other "drip/leakage" anywhere..bolts, billet t-stat housing, outlet flange...etc, nothing. Must be from the weephole, but why. I googled some titles, and Gooch, mentioned, that i gathered, can/may be normal, or something like that. From what i've read, leakage/drips from weephole, is a sign of bad pump/soon to be
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Are you sure it is from the weep hole? A mirror should be able to tell you if it is or not. It could be residual or maybe a bad seal in the pump. Most likely something else and with the fan blowing it around, it is throwing you off.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
thx wood...i'llgo check-ur out now, and post inna minute
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 04-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
alright wood, just ran her for a few minutes, and so far, no leak, but almost 100% sure, its from the weephole area, since everywhere else is dry
Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Not uncommon for a new seal to seep a small amount. A few heat and cool cycles and it may fully seat in where it seals. Otherwise they may have damaged it on assembly.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
I had a problem with the thermostat housing leaking intermittently for several months after I changed the pump. It took two or three tries to get the housing to seal.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Elder User

piotrsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a porous casting on the output pipe. wouldn't leak until 16 psi and just a dribble. nothing that JBweld didn't fix.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Post back after some engine running time and update your findings Tim, I'd hate to hear there might be problems with the seal, isolated, or a bad run on these units. Its happened here before but other components. Good luck.
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
update

Well guys, its still "dripping". Seems it has a mind of its own. Just looked this morning, and sure enough, drips on the ground, a drip waiting to fall, from lower hose. Somewhat discouraging.

I emailed Rockauto, so, we'll see what they respond. Not bummed for the fact, having to remove/install another one (practice makes permanent), but i hate to lose any coolant, in the meantime/process, that crap aint cheap. Hapefully, they get back, and say new one, on the way, that be great.

Defintly though, its from the weephole. Inlet housing bone dry, exit tube, bone dry, all bolts are dry. I can feel the puddle behind the pulley. I'll keep the thread updated and hope it turns out in the positive.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
my airtex from rock auto just took a dump on me last month. a year and a half is all i got out of it. got an oem one from clay this time......
Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
The Airtex's seem like top of the line but anytime I see a component priced way lower than the so called "Average Price" for components, it makes me wonder, why is it that much lower in price. OEM from Clay or Ed when mine fails. 161,000 on my stocker so far.
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Rock Auto

The owners must be related to Clay....

Dear Tim,

I am glad you contacted us. Both water pumps are under warranty. We just need to know which order # contains the defective water pump.

1999 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY ----> Order #4955216
2002 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY ----> Order #4968320

RockAuto has a couple of warranty solutions to choose from:

1. Place a new order for the same part number. Once the replacement has been received
and installed, contact us for return instructions and send back the part that failed. The
manufacturer does not include shipping charges, however, because RockAuto values our
customers, we will issue a refund for the cost of the new order (cost of the part and
outbound ground shipping). We ask that you be responsible for returning the part to our
warehouse.

2. Send back the part that failed without placing a new order. We ask that you be
responsible for returning the part to our warehouse. Once we have a tracking number
showing the part is on the way back to the warehouse, we will reship you a new part at no
additional cost.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Thank you,

Josh S.
RockAuto Customer Service
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Even new out of the box, parts can fail. It sucks that since it's a waterpump, the labor is a few hours to remove and exchange. try to catch as much of your coolant as you can and reuse. At least Rock Auto is being cool about it.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Post Fiend

Chris is right, just a bummer from the labor standpoint. I ordered my hub from them, nothing but good service from them.. Their our sponsors here...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Official BeerMaster #1

SDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputation
https://www.facebook.com/mike.blackport
My new Napa water pump would leak after the truck sat over night. If it was running, it never leaked a drop. I triple checked everything I could find, and never solved it. Until I got a new Napa pump, and now it's fine. I have no idea what sitting over night did to make it leak, but it did. If it sat for 9 hours at work, it did not drip, It just waited for it's garage.

Mike -
2000 4x4 CC LB F-350 7.3L SuperChips Flashpaq, 4" turbo back exhaust, 6637.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Dude you get thirsty at mid swallow of your beer, don't hide it.......
Warning: Drinking may cause memory loss. Or worse. Memory loss.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2008, 351, 73, duty, f250, ford, leak, leaking, obs, powerstroke, pump, super, water, waterpump