Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 PM
New User

Mark Wanless is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mark Wanless
What Just Happened? Blew A Fuse..But Why?

Short story but the information might be pertinent...

2000 F350 Crew Cab 7.3 long bed, automatic.

I arrived at my destination 40 miles from home to find not much parking where I needed to be. I found myself on a street that went nowhere and in an attempt to turn the truck around in a real tight spot I had to do a 7-point maneuver to get going the other direction. When I finally got it turned around I was 30 feet from a spot right in front of the building. How ‘bout THAT? (Never mind the fact it wasn’t a parking spot.)

I unloaded what I needed to unload then got in the truck to go find a real parking spot. Much to my dismay, I had no power what so ever…..I mean NONE. The truck had started but I had no power. I shut it down and started it back up and that’s when I noticed something dreadfully wrong….I had no gauge movement at all. None of the gauges registered anything when I turned the key on. The truck started fine, but when I pushed the accelerator, nothing, no rise in RPM, nothing. I was able to put it in reverse and idle backward to a better legal parking spot.

It sounded like an electrical thing, but what? I looked at the fuses in the fuse box under the steering console and found #19 open. That’s a 10-amp fuse that controls Auxiliary Powertrain Control Module, Instrument Cluster, GEM Module, Overdrive Cancel Switch, Idle Validation Switch, Overhead Console, Diesel PCM via Clutch.

Well at least I found something, I swapped out a fuse and everything was back to normal….I made it home later that night without incident.

So what would have caused the fuse to blow? Retracing my steps, the only thing I can think of to put a load on anything was the repetitive cranking of the steering wheel left and right while trying to turn the truck around. It was literally within half the width of the street, oh and line either side of the truck with cars….Anyway, when I got turned around I was within idle distance to the spot I parked and don’t really know if I “idled” there or had a responsive accelerator. I wasn’t paying attention.

Any thoughts. I would hate to have this happen again and not be as lucky as to only have a fuse blow.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
The wire for your overdrive button shorted on the steering column assembly. You will need to take the cover off, fix the wire and you will be good to go.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
You more than likely have an issue with you overdrive cancel switch in the shifter. Take a look at the article I put together to help out with this issue.

Transmission Shifter Wire Chafe Repair

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
What they said^^

Here are some notes from when I pulled mine off:

Remove the steering tilt by unscrewing it. There is a flat part you can put a crescent wrench on. You have to take off the plactic shroud around the steering column. There are three phillips screws on the bottom housing. The bottom part will drop. You have to take the ignition tumbler out. To do this the key has to be in the run position, then push the little ball bearing on the bottom part of the ignition and it will pull out. Then you can remove the top part of the shroud.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 AM
New User

Mark Wanless
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY like this forum!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

r/
Mark
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 AM
New User

Mark Wanless
I looked at the PDF....where does the chaffing normally occure? I assume the wire harness in the pictures is one without issues.

r/
Mark
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Here check out this thread, post#3 you will be looking for something like that.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/99...e-problem.html
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 AM
New User

Mark Wanless
Hmmm, I should have spent a little more time doing the search function....

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Hey no problem that's what we are here for, to help out, good luck
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
New User

Mark Wanless
I REALLY like this place. Other forums I visit waste very little time pointing out the search function to the un-initiated....in a not so pleasant manner....A pitty indeed.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
I think it usually rubs on the gearshift shaft in the pic attached. I had to replace mine because the end broke off. If you have to order a new one it comes with everything. It comes with wiring, end cap, switch etc..:-X0 Ed's a good source for parts. A lot cheaper than the dealer. On smaller orders may not be much of a savings if any.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Here's a pic of my chafed wire. It didn't cause the problem you had but it allowed for my OD not to work.
Attached Images

2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Good information from everyone! I added a couple pictures to the article to help in the future! Link above has been updated.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Elder User

izzybird has a very good reputation on FTE.izzybird has a very good reputation on FTE.izzybird has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Good information from everyone! I added a couple pictures to the article to help in the future! Link above has been updated.
You've got a real nice homepage going there Ken, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
You've got a real nice homepage going there Ken, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
Thanks!

I figure with all the information spread across the internet and the forums. I could put together something that is specific to the 7.3L. I always add to it, so if anyone has special requests let me know!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM