Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah! I did it! I love it! And HECK YEAH that hatch is HEAVY! It does take two people to do this WORD to the WISE!

Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  93.2 KB

Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
Yeah! I did it! I love it! And HECK YEAH that hatch is HEAVY! It does take two people to do this WORD to the WISE!
I happened to have one of those extendable arms you attach a paint roller to for painting tall walls...fiberglass with notches and a pin. That worked perfect for me - but trust me, I worked QUICKLY to get that first strut on - constantly thinking at any moment it would slip out and decapitate me! It can be done, but it's nerve wracking!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I just had my 6'0" 19 year old son (now 20) hold it up and told him to quit complaining!

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 07-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Junx69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank goodness I had a stack of 2x4s cut to use as dividers on my pickup's bed liner sitting next to me when I did this. Took that first strut off and holy crap! Grabbed a 2x4 and held it up as I took the 2nd one off. It held it just high enough for me to snap the new ones on. If you don't have someone to help you had better definitely use some kind of support.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Who needs extra help. If you just prepare properly, all you have to do is stand there use your head and do one side at a time. And yes it is heavy, but when you are finished it is a load off your mind.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Junx69
Junior User
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Who needs extra help. If you just prepare properly, all you have to do is stand there use your head and do one side at a time. And yes it is heavy, but when you are finished it is a load off your mind.
One side at a time doesn't quite work with these longer struts since you have to raise the lift gate higher to attach the new ones. The stockers won't stretch that far so both have to go. Oh look at me, Mr. Literal.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I used a 2X4 to prop the tailgate in fully open position and removed both old struts. Then attached the bottoms of both new struts. Then straddled the back doors (one foot on the bumper, on in the cargo area) and lifted slightly with my back against the liftgate. Did all the lifting with the legs. Popped in one side, then the other.

Was a very easy one person job with a little planning. But I'm stubbornm 5'9" and 135 lbs.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
If you use the 2x4 on a gravel or grass area you can easily slide the 2x4 in towards the truck, raising the hatch and it will bite into the ground so it does not slip. Make sure the new support is already attached to the body on one side and the clip is released to allow it to connect to the socket on the gate before doing the other side. I used a ceremony flag pole, it was tall enough to do what the 2x4 did.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
If you use the 2x4 on a gravel or grass area you can easily slide the 2x4 in towards the truck, raising the hatch and it will bite into the ground so it does not slip. Make sure the new support is already attached to the body on one side and the clip is released to allow it to connect to the socket on the gate before doing the other side. I used a ceremony flag pole, it was tall enough to do what the 2x4 did.
I did similar but reverse...I attached it to the hatch side first so they would hang straight down and not rub the paint...

Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
bobalonius
New User
I just finished putting on a pair of these struts and holy crap, I love the height difference. That place had great customer service too.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 PM
thegorilla
Junior User
Awesome tip, repped! I wish I would've seen this 3 weeks ago, before I ordered the 4x2 struts from Amazon and put them on. D'oh!

Another install method: I used an adjustable telescoping trekking pole to hold the gate while I removed both old struts. One of the new ones was enough to keep it up while installing the second one.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
ATG_Tuning
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUY THESE!!!! Best mod i have done!

This is a no brainier. Cannot believe the difference. I would post pics, but there are enough already, just get them. I am mad that i waited as long as i did.

Thx to OP for the thread. My shocks needed to be replaced anyway, so this just made sense. I was nervous, but i cannot believe Ford dropped the ball on this....these should be factory.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
st8yd
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the one's for the 2wd from Advance auto. While the lift height is sufficient, they are getting weak and slow to open and not even a year old.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ATG_Tuning
BUY THESE!!!! Best mod i have done!

This is a no brainier. Cannot believe the difference. I would post pics, but there are enough already, just get them. I am mad that i waited as long as i did.

Thx to OP for the thread. My shocks needed to be replaced anyway, so this just made sense. I was nervous, but i cannot believe Ford dropped the ball on this....these should be factory.

I'm just glad to have helped so many folks out! Repeatedly clobbering yourself in the head gets old!

When I installed mine, I used a 2x4 and a hydraulic floor jack to customize the height that the lift gate stayed at during the install. It made line up a snap!

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Shepherd2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a set and in less than a month they couldnt keep the hatch up anymore .

Quick Reply: Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.