1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dash Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Swap Help

Since my dash already looks like this:

I figure I'll head to the j/y and see about getting a replacement.

However, I can't get my dash to budge from the center part directly behind the instrument cluster above the steering wheel...

What am I missing?

I also noticed that this...

Was disconnected from this...

...behind the glovebox area. Does anyone know what the connector is for?

EDIT: Which dashes can be swapped with mine?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The unhooked wire/box is the seatbelt buzzer. Depending on year and trim level, it *could* also be a headlight warning buzzer.

As for the dash not coming loose behind the steering wheel, is that a bolt (2 actually) I see in the pic? Might explain it's resistance to moving......

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
As for the dash not coming loose behind the steering wheel, is that a bolt (2 actually) I see in the pic? Might explain it's resistance to moving......
Thanks RW...Yes, those are bolts but they are a good ways back from the brown plastic part so I thought that they were for supporting the steering wheel...?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Might be some others near the dash that hold the column and dash together. It's been quite a while since I dropped a column, but I seem to recall seeing a couple bolts that held the dash and column in place.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WoodHeat
Since my dash already looks like this:
However, I can't get my dash to budge from the center part directly behind the instrument cluster above the steering wheel...

What am I missing?
EDIT: Which dashes can be swapped with mine?
You see the little bump in the middle of where the tach goes in the dash. It's right in middle of the steering colum as what your photo shows. There is a screw that goes through the lower colum support and threads in that spot. Have to take colum down to get to it .
Also check for a firewall to dash bracket in that area, some years had them and some didn't

Any dash from 80 to 86 will directly bolt in place, 87 and newer requires lot of changing around of dash mounts to firewall.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
You see the little bump in the middle...Also check for a firewall to dash bracket in that area, some years had them and some didn't

Any dash from 80 to 86 will directly bolt in place, 87 and newer requires lot of changing around of dash mounts to firewall.
Thanks Eddie. I don't know if it's going to be worth all that but I may wind up having to do it to fix the wiring anyway...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Coneynew
Senior User
I have taken 1 or 2 of these out. There are bolts near the top corners, almost where the windshield meets the dash. Real PITA. I had to use a "thumb" wheel w/ the right size socket to remove those.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coneynew
I have taken 1 or 2 of these out. There are bolts near the top corners, almost where the windshield meets the dash. Real PITA. I had to use a "thumb" wheel w/ the right size socket to remove those.
1/4 drive 8mm shallow socket on a universal joint.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
5/16 = 8mm, just for the record. Just throwing that out there for the metric tool impaired folks......

Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
O.P., you can do this easily. I pulled the original dash out of my truck three times, and then pulled the new dash from my donor truck. So 4 times of removal, and 3 times of installation, all before I turned 17. It's not that hard at all. As was said, get that bolt on the steering column upper support. There's also bolts on either side of the cab by where the kick panels attach. And then those two very fun ones at the base of the windshield.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User

You could be forgiven for thinking that this is a dash board. However, what it really is is a demon from hell masquerading as a 1985 F-250 dash!

So I found out that this part wouldn't budge...

...because of THIS:

Considering that there is only about 1" of space between that and the metal behind it, I couldn't even get my stubby screw driver to grab it. Friends...that's my definition of evil right there...to get to it properly I would have had to take all of this apart:

No way was I going to do that...decided to pull out all the stops and got medieval with it...

Of course the medieval route won't help me with the replacement so I need a better way for the j/y tomorrow. Any ideas? Is there a special 90 degree tool with a philips head on it?

Oh yeah, a nice tip I'd like to pass along. If you decide to change out the pads on your pedals with ones from a j/y, put them in the sun for a little while. The head makes it much easier to put them on without cracking.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
If you had loosened the column, and lowered it down as suggested you could have easily gotten to that screw.......

Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
O.P., you can do this easily. I pulled the original dash out of my truck three times, and then pulled the new dash from my donor truck. So 4 times of removal, and 3 times of installation, all before I turned 17. It's not that hard at all. As was said, get that bolt on the steering column upper support. There's also bolts on either side of the cab by where the kick panels attach. And then those two very fun ones at the base of the windshield.
If you had loosened the column, and lowered it down as suggested you could have easily gotten to that screw.......
Well, hopefully I'll do better with the donor. In all honesty I, was afraid to mess with the steering column because I paid a shop to fix it for me a while ago and didn't want to risk jacking it up.

I found a 90 degree screw driver thing from HF that only requires a small 1" clearance to use. So if anyone else wants to do it the wrong way, the tool is called "ScrewDriver Right Angle".

Thanks for all the help on this guys!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Coneynew

Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy

5/16 = 8mm, just for the record. Just throwing that out there for the metric tool impaired folks......
I was thinking of saying something earlier but didn't for some reason but, yeah, the entire assembly - supporting structure and all - comes off the cab pretty easily and IMHO is lots easier than trying to remove the plastic from the underlying structure.

I use these:

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
That's one way to get it out. Dropping the colum down with the mounting bolts would not cause any issues and gives you all the access needed. DO PUT that screw back in as if you don't , that dash will wander around and make noises(been there, done that).

As you have the dash out, its a good time to fix any rust on the firewall area. Thats what I am getting ready to do on my 84 F250

Hay, Ctubutis nice avatar there! Should the bra be on the ears?

Quick Reply: Dash Swap Help