General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Shotguns - best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 12:50 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shotguns - best bang for the buck?

I'm looking for purchase a 12 gauge shotgun for skeet/trap/home defense. I'm in college, though, so needless to say - I'm poor. Can't afford one of those shiny Bennellis. I've been looking at a Mossberg 500 or a 590. Does anyone have any experience or wisdom to share?

XXL

Old 03-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Border3899
Senior User

I've got a Mossberg 500 and absolutely love the gun. I use it for deer hunting and bird hunting and i took it to the range to sight it in but never had to do anything it was already dead on. The only problem i've found with mine is if i shoot 3" shells it tends to jam up on me so i stick with 2 3/4" and have no problems.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:37 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey matt, of the two models you mentioned, I would give preference to the 500 because it's a sporting arm. You're going to be spending more time hunting and shooting clays than defending the homestead.

Other models to consider though perhaps more $$ would be the Remington Wingmaster and the Winchester 1300 xtr. There should be good used specimens to be found. Also, be on the lookout for a used Winchester 1200. They were discontinued quite some time ago, but they had the same action as the 1300, minus the high finish.

Scott

Old 03-20-2003, 02:07 PM
cowboyup2000
New User

Wow I cant believe no one mentioned the Remington 870 Express yet! Made much better than the mossberg 500, definitely wouldnt be jamming on 3"shells I have two 870 Wingmasters, just a higher grade version. Absolutely love them. Check Em out, think theyre slightly cheaper then the Mossbergs too. RIght around $200 i believe

Old 03-20-2003, 02:33 PM
garymake
Senior User

Ditto on the 870 - you won't be disappointed.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:27 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Vote number three for the 870. Have had a 20ga 870 for probably 25 years, and it still looks and functions like new.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:47 PM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided on the Mossberg 500 Tactical. It has a 20" barrel, will hold 7 2-3/4" shells in the magazine.

So far I have only killed a huge buzzard in my yard with it. I bought it as a self defense weapon against skunks, armadillos, squirrels, and now buzzards.

I like it very well so far. It was about $240 after tax.

The store where I bought it had a used 500 with a long barrel for $125 in good shape. I considered buying it and cutting it down, but it also had a wood stock, so went for the new one.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User

I have an Remington 870 supermag and love it.
Shoots up to 3 1/2" shells and I think I paid around 270 at Bass Pro Shops for it.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Mossberg 500 and the Wingmaster along with several other Remingtons and winchester shotguns and rifles and the such. Fringe benefits of working for a gunsmith. I would say that mechanically the Mossberg 500 is far sounder than an 870 it also tends to be accurate for a shotgun. The only real downside is that there are few aftermarket parts for it. That doesn't sound like it matters to you. One really nice thing about mossbergs is that they only require minimal cleaning every 15 years or so. I have seen several of these guns in the shop that had never been cleaned and after a little work they had perfect bores with no pitting or rust on them. My 500 has well over 10,000 shells through it and it functions perfectly. I also have several thousand shells through my 870 and my 1100 and 11-87 and they all function perfectly but I still take care of them too. I have hunted deer, upland game birds, bear, migratory water fowl, turkeys, and other nuisance and predator critters. They all kill about the same. The only real difference is the price. You can find many used and new ones for cheap. http://www.gunsamerica.com is not an auction but thye are pretty respectable. http://www.gunbroker.com is an auction site similar to ebay but they offer fraud insurance and I have found many good deals on there. Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2003, 07:41 PM
fordtruck87
Senior User

mossburg ultimag 835 shoots every 12 guage shell made best shot gun i have owned it even shoots the covetted 3.5 shells has 16 ports to raddically reduce recoil blows a 500 out the water

Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Originally posted by mattsbox99
One really nice thing about mossbergs is that they only require minimal cleaning every 15 years or so.
And you work for a gunsmith? Remind me not to take a gun there.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a joke. Don't get so hostile. I have seen a couple of guns in the shop that are that old and have never been cleaned. Although we recommend cleaning the bore and action every time you shoot and wiping it down with a silicone cloth every time you handle it. And to never store a wood stocked gun upright such as in a safe because the oil will run down and swell and crack the stock. I would definetly say that Moosbergs have an extra thick chrome plating on the inside of the barrel that reduces wear and tear and basically prevents pitting by not allowing anything to stick to the chrome.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:52 PM
CLUMP
Freshman User

10-4 on the ultimag

Old 03-21-2003, 03:03 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
I'm looking for purchase a 12 gauge shotgun for skeet/trap/home defense.

I've been looking at a Mossberg 500 or a 590. Does anyone have any experience or wisdom to share?

XXL
Like Housepuller said, you probaly won't have to use a shotgun to defend yourself and you home, but if your ever in that situation, you'll want something you can depend on and one made for the job. Remember, we're at war at the moment. Anything could happen.

You describe an all around gun you can use for different purposes.
It would be nice to have a shotgun made for trap and skeet. And perhaps another for home defense. Different guns made for different purposes.

That being said, I would recomend the Mossberg 500. If money is tight and you can't afford two guns, get one with two barrels. Mossberg just happens to have such a model. It comes with a 28 in. vented rib barrel you can use for hunting or trap and a short 18 in. barrel for home defense use. I don't know if you have a Big 5 sporting goods store in your area, but here in So. California they have specials on this gun all the time. You can pick one up for aprox. $219.00 on sale. You could also go the the Mossberg web sight and check them out. www.Mossberg.com

Something to consider.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FOOTNOTE:

You don't have to have a Benelli to have the same gun.

Check out the Berretta shotguns when you have time. A Beretta 1200F is the same as a Benelli M1 super 90.

It's about the same difference as a Mustang and a Capri...

Quick Reply: Shotguns - best bang for the buck?