1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

weight of 48 i6 and where to put it while rebuilding it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
maestro1024
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all what is the weight of the straight 6 in the 48 f2?
And secondly what options do I have while getting it rebuilt (it is in a shed if it matters).

So here is some back story as to why I am asking.
the old ford engine is not turning over and is seized (I have a couple other posts about trying to get it unstuck with no luck). I borrowed a lift and got it out today (I pulled just the engine and left the bell housing for now). Truck is not at my house right now, so I drove it to my house and put it in my shed. I bought a 750 lb engine stand and proceeded to put it on there. I put 2 of the head bolts on the stand and the engine (the only bolts that actually go to the block). Did not put on the other 2 bolts. .... Well I went to turn it for just a second and the engine crashed to the floor. Not hurt thank God but wanted to check in with some experts and see what I can do better.

I have heard of people putting the flywheel on the floor and working with it that way. OR Do I just use my current engine stand and add the 2 other bolts? Or do I need to buy a bigger stand? Or should I somehow get a table?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I built a stand out of 4X4s with cross supports. It worked pretty good while I had the engine out the truck. That was 30+ years ago.

Man, that pictures brings back a lot of memories.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM
maestro1024
Freshman User
Bob,

What a great looking engine. I hope I can get mine half that nice.

What did you do when you worked on the bottom side? I figured the stands are nice cause you should be able to just spin it around and work on the bottom.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would remove the bellhousing and then put all the bolts in, where the bellhousing attached, that your stand will hold. Mine has 4 and the V8 that I put on it held just fine and is heavier. I had it on the stand for a month, and rotated it several times.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That engine does not weigh 750 lbs. I do believe I would install the other bolts and use the engine stand if you are going to work on it. Pictures of the stand and a better explanation would help. .
Did you attach the engine to the stand at the rear of the engine or at the head or where?

Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM
maestro1024
Freshman User
It is a basic stand from harbor freight.
I attached it from behind (where the fly wheel is)

Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If the "basic stand" is a three-wheeled type, be very cautious moving the engine around, rotating it, or torquing bolt down hard, after you get it properly mounted. It doesn't tank much to get the center of gravity where it will tip over. They are OK for static holding the block while assembling it, but don't go overboard. It's a long way out to the end of a 6!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
What Ross said about the three wheel engine stand. I bought mine used at a garage sale many many years ago, have used it on various engines and have been nervous each time I use it. I've never dumped an engine but every time I use it I tell myself I must put "training wheels" of some sort on it. Very poor design and built. Do use caution.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
maestro1024
Freshman User
So where do I put an engine?
I see now, they have some 4 wheel designs. Are those better?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Maestro,
I came up with an awesome storage idea and will share it with you.
Drag it down some stairs into your cellar. The laws of gravity help tremendously for this part of the operation.
Then move it to a location out of the way down there that will be perfect for you, and hope that any female-type occupants of the house can understand the need to have such a thing in the house and also so close to the laundry area.
Practice saying 'It's not leaking anything" in your most reassuring voice.
There, storage problem solved.

As for the weight....with the transmission attached....it is about nine pounds heavier than the maximum lifting capacity of your neighbor's Kubota model 3200. Enough to swell the new hydraulic hoses and make scary squealing noises as the bucket is lifted more than 24" off the ground. So around 650 pounds for just the engine. Provide beer and venison to neighbor while he waits for you remove the transmission so it can be lifted higher and hauled to the cellar stairs.

See pictures for guidance.

Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by maestro1024
Bob,

What a great looking engine. I hope I can get mine half that nice.

What did you do when you worked on the bottom side? I figured the stands are nice cause you should be able to just spin it around and work on the bottom.
Like I said, that was 30+ years ago, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday. Now that I've thought about it I did mount it on an engine stand to get to the bottom half of the engine. I do remember my dad brought home a stand from the auto shop at the school he worked for. It was a heavy duty unit, something that wouldn't budge much. I didn't rebuild the engine because it was a pretty good running engine when I got it. I heard it run before the seller pulled it out of his truck. I got the engine, transmission and a nifty grill guard for $100. I mounted the engine on the wood frame after I got the oil pan gaskests on. My dad had to get the engine stand back to the auto shop. I had the engine running on that wooden stand a few times just to hear it run.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by maestro1024
So where do I put an engine?
I see now, they have some 4 wheel designs. Are those better?
This is for much lighter engines (4-cyl at best)

This is barely acceptable for a heavy flat-6 IMO

This is what I'd want to try to unstick a heavy flat-6 and be hammering and pulling on it

Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
pineconeford, your post made me laugh, thanks. I have about 20 engines laying around (mostly Ford) but none in the house......hmmmmmm, that gives me an idea......

Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM
maestro1024
Freshman User
ALBUQ F-1
This is for much lighter engines (4-cyl at best)
I ran some tests
This checks out.
Serioiusly, this is my new plan. Return the stand in your first picture and get the one in the third.

pineconeford
Another plus. I can tell the wife I am doing the laundry AND working on the truck. I should get more time to work on it now
Just don't mind the grease stains on the clothes, they will wash right out

Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Dobies4life
Senior User
I have engine parts in my living room right now. However I do believe a complete engine would most likely get me suffocated with a pillow in the middle of the night. Well she just read this while I was typing it, it is confirmed I would be suffocated.

Quick Reply: weight of 48 i6 and where to put it while rebuilding it?