Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfirejim View Post
Where can you buy black beauty and what do you ask for?
thanks
jim
If you do a google search for "Black Beauty Blast Media" it shows many places to buy it.

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Elder User

hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks all.
jim

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-f2-build.html
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Senior User

fast_st is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, when I blast I'll blow a fan over the air tank to cool it down a little and leave the drain open just a whisker so the shaking of the compressor will coax all the water out. I've also shimmed my compressor (horizontal) to pitch it 2 inches toward the drain. One trap on the compressor output and another cyclone dryer on the blaster. Dry is key, I was thinking of using a coil of copper pipe in a bucket of water to extract even a little more. Tap water temp being 55 degrees, that'd work great on an 80 degree day.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Just to be clear, none of this stuff is healthy. Dust and debris from Black Beauty-type materials are just as deadly as silica. Perhaps you noticed where it said it is a coal slag product? I'm assuming you eastern guys have heard of 'Black Lung?' Bottom line is, be careful when using any of these products and use the proper safety equipment. Eyes, lungs, and body. You don't have to be afraid of these products and materials, (and I'll include paint for this discussion, as well) but you should treat them with respect.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
... You don't have to be afraid of these products and materials, (and I'll include paint for this discussion, as well) but you should treat them with respect.
cause they will NOT respect YOU!

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Elder User

dongc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same pot as the one you are using. I use Black Diamond in it. I get it at Tractor Supply. It works better than sand and less dust.I have 2 water separators on the pot. After I installed them, I don't have problems with clogging anymore. The bottom valve is about half open and the top valve is wide open. Use the largest nozzle you can use and still maintain 75-80 PSI at the pot. I have run many, many bags of Black diamond and the pot works great.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
You're definitely right. Trust me, I deal with black lung in one way or other every day. I take care of a lot of guys with silicosis too around here (usually highwall drill operators). As a matter of fact, I've got one hooked up to oxygen and an IV right now.

Most of the men in my family look like this guy at the end of the day.

Click the image to open in full size.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongc1 View Post
I have the same pot as the one you are using. I use Black Diamond in it. I get it at Tractor Supply. It works better than sand and less dust.I have 2 water separators on the pot. After I installed them, I don't have problems with clogging anymore. The bottom valve is about half open and the top valve is wide open. Use the largest nozzle you can use and still maintain 75-80 PSI at the pot. I have run many, many bags of Black diamond and the pot works great.
When you say you have 2 water separators on the pot, are you meaning you have 2 mounted in sequence on the incoming line before it splits? I'm just glad to hear that there is hope for this thing and the operator is the problem (I'm starting to recognize a trend there ).
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2011 Expedition EL
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior User

fast_st is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
You're definitely right. Trust me, I deal with black lung in one way or other every day. I take care of a lot of guys with silicosis too around here (usually highwall drill operators). As a matter of fact, I've got one hooked up to oxygen and an IV right now.

Most of the men in my family look like this guy at the end of the day.
Yeah, I salvaged a used air mask from the fire department, attached it to an oilless compressor and use that for fresh air however wrong that might be. Keeps the dust outta my nose.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Havre blasted tons of sand and parts . 3 main points .

1 . Media MUST be dry !!!
2 . If media will not pass thru window screen , it will not pass thru blaster.
3. Air /sand ratio is most important .

Get sand from a ridge by the rail tracks .Pure white sugar sand . Spread out to dry , sift over a large container with a frame work made out of metal window screen , store inside and blast away when needed .Plenty of sand here in Fla.
1994 Dodge Ram Van ( the work truck ) ,1993 Dakota w/ 44k mi.,1952 F-1 the 1ST-RIDE ,23 T-Roadster w/ 426 wedge bored to 440 (85 % done ) ,1952 F-1 stock (under const) "Those of you who think you know it all are really annoying to those of us who do " Mark Donahue or Roger Penske Indy '71
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Posting Guru

cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how much CFM is your compressor putting out ? to small of a compressor and you can only open the valve just a little ! i have used lots of silica sand from Home Depot and had good results on equipment , but always wore a good mask , not those cheap dust masks that you get 5 or 8 for a few bucks !
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

I've got that upright 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand compressor that Tractor Supply sells. I think it's 11.3 CFM. I know, I probably need one even bigger than that. I'm gonna have to stop and let it catch up quite a bit. Which brings up another point--I probably should shut that sand valve off completely during rest periods so that a ton of sand doesn't trickle down and clog the pipe. I'm realizing I made just about every mistake possible yesterday. LOL. But hey, maybe somebody else will read this and learn something too.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2011 Expedition EL
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
I've got that upright 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand compressor that Tractor Supply sells. I think it's 11.3 CFM. I know, I probably need one even bigger than that. I'm gonna have to stop and let it catch up quite a bit. Which brings up another point--I probably should shut that sand valve off completely during rest periods so that a ton of sand doesn't trickle down and clog the pipe. I'm realizing I made just about every mistake possible yesterday. LOL. But hey, maybe somebody else will read this and learn something too.
once I get the media valve set, I don't fiddle with it. its hard enough the set once!.

you can shut the air valve into the tank.,.

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Elder User

dongc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
When you say you have 2 water separators on the pot, are you meaning you have 2 mounted in sequence on the incoming line before it splits? I'm just glad to hear that there is hope for this thing and the operator is the problem (I'm starting to recognize a trend there ).
Yes, I have 2 separators, in series, in the incoming air line. I never have to screen the Black Diamond. Dump it in and GO. Leave the valve on the bottom alone when you shut down, just shut the air off. It will take a few seconds to bleed down and you will spray out some sand, but it is much easier than messing with everything. When you start back up, it will take a few seconds for the sand to start flowing again.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Posting Guru

49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am very pleased with the purchase about 3 years ago of a 7 1/2 hp IR 2 stage compressor. I previously used a Smith Gordan conversion setup for a Model A or B short block. It compresses on #2 and #3 and fires on #1 and #4. Since the Model A is about 40 hp, I figured that I had about a 20 hp gas air compressor. The IR is about equal to the old Smith Gordan setup for air delivery.
For continuous running of a sandblaster, I find that the 7 1/2 hp 2 stage IR is the right size.

49 F-1 Jag IFS, 3.70 9" rear, 383 stroked sbc, 700R4 AOD
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM