Starting my 81 bronco project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my 81 bronco project.

g'day folks,
I'm lucky enough to have a five day weekend ahead of me, so i thought id take it upon myself to replace the front floors, repair rust holes, fit new brake master cylinder and aftermarket front seats.
She's an Australian assembled 81 bronco (XLT?) In dark metallic blue with white rear roof and light tan interior. Ill post up pics after the weekend.

If anyone has some advice to share, please do.
Thanks guys
Elliott

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
Whats special on the Aussie version? Right hand drive? We demand Pics! Good luck on the install, enjoy the 5 day weekend

Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Aussie assembled? Does that mean its got a 240/300 with a crossflow head!? I've only read about them... would love to actually see one.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Yeah right hand drive and a 302 cleveland v8 are the only differences. The 302c was an aussie only thing. greystreak92, you mean the 250 crossflow? They were a great motor, mostly came in Falcons but a few F series have them. Good revs but not enough torque for anything bigger than a Falcon sedan IMO

Edgethis, i will thouroghly enjoy this weekend, its ANZAC day down under on monday (australian and new zealand army corps), basically a rememberance day for our troops, so im spending monday at my unit sinking beers and playing pool lol

Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Well, have fun. This sucks I sit here in my motorpool everyday and don't get a 5 day weekend. And def no beers.

What kind of seats are you looking at using?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, the idea of a crossflow I6 head is just cool. Would have really made the intake for the EFI versions simple if Ford had done it with the 300 and other I6's here. Just makes for better flow through the head. Lots of guys who mod the heck out of the old Ford inlines seek out what they affectionately call the "aussie" heads for that reason.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Well, have fun. This sucks I sit here in my motorpool everyday and don't get a 5 day weekend. And def no beers.

What kind of seats are you looking at using?
Im using a pair of aftermarket sports buckets in black and grey velour, very comfortable. I think theyre made by SAAS down under here, im trying to find a pair for my 77 f100 but no luck yet.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Yeah, the idea of a crossflow I6 head is just cool. Would have really made the intake for the EFI versions simple if Ford had done it with the 300 and other I6's here. Just makes for better flow through the head. Lots of guys who mod the heck out of the old Ford inlines seek out what they affectionately call the "aussie" heads for that reason.

As far as sixes go, the crossflow is awesome, off the shelf here you can get all sorts of performance goodies, four barrel intakes, headers, cams, timing gear, you name it. They used to be really popular amongst the young crowd here, because youngsters in v8 powered cars get too much attention from the law, not so much the hot sixes. Australias always been big on the bigger sixes. The 265 hemi from D*dge is an example.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Edgethis, are you on a deployment dude?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Aussie assembled? Does that mean its got a 240/300 with a crossflow head!? I've only read about them... would love to actually see one.
I wish the 240/300 got one! I'd be having one shipped over here.
I believe only the smaller sixes got them since they were more prevailant in mustangs and other higher performance vehicles.

It's too bad Ford didn't squeeze the 'big six' into some more performance oriented vehicles, even if it was just in Australia. We'd probably see a lot more aftermarket for them.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Aussie_F_trucker
Edgethis, are you on a deployment dude?

No I am a Active duty Motor SGT Stationed at a reserve center... lol talk about an easy job, and I LOVE it

Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
No I am a Active duty Motor SGT Stationed at a reserve center... lol talk about an easy job, and I LOVE it
Sounds good
Im an infantry reservist but transferring to light cav in a couple weeks. Reserves down here is so relaxed its funny lol.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
80-86 are my favorite body style. I just think they're tough lookin. Good luck on your project! In the mean time I'm going to drink beer and sink pool *****......

Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
yeah, all I have to do is watch the vehicle and make sure they get driven every now and then. I have a Humvee for every day of the month.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Aussie_F_trucker
Elder User
I dont think i could ever get bored of that lol , humvees are way cooler than the land rovers we get.

Does anyone know how to post pics up when using FTE on the android cell phone? I have some mobile theme going on, not the full site.

Quick Reply: Starting my 81 bronco project.