Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion on an Expedition?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
hkaiser83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion on an Expedition?

I'm wondering what you guys think needs to be done to an Excursion to use it offroad for extended periods. I don't want to go bogging or rock crawling but more moderate level things. I mean being offroad for days at a time and exploring state parks and wilds. If I wanted to use the Excursion in this way, what should I strengthen or modify? Please read my mods below!

Can anyone suggest good CB radios and other communication equipment? What about a good GPS for things of this nature? I read that most that do this get a boat or avionics oriented GPS for things like this. What other associated equipment would you pack? Hand held GPS? What survival equipment?

Any Suggestions?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hkaiser83
I mean being off-road for days at a time and exploring state parks and wilds. If I wanted to use the Excursion in this way, what should I strengthen or modify? Please read my mods below!

Can anyone suggest good CB radios and other communication equipment? What about a good GPS for things of this nature? I read that most that do this get a boat or avionics oriented GPS for things like this. What other associated equipment would you pack? Hand held GPS? What survival equipment?
Well with your lift and tires, I don't think you'll have any clearance issues. I would consider:
  • custom rear bumper to mount a high-lift jack, water cans and an extra spare tire.
  • 12,000 pound winch on a mount that plugs into a receiver hitch to use it front or rear.
  • heavy duty side steps that can prevent trees and rocks from bashing in your doors.
You should also have a really well stocked first aid kit and a water filter system to replenish your water supply.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont forget extra diesel!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
For moderate exploring, I don't think you have to do much to the truck, as long as your tires are in good shape, and your vehicle is mechanically sound. Even with 2wd, we've gone further off the beaten path than most.

Handheld GPS's are great for hiking, but the smaller screens are almost useless for automotive navigation. With that being said, I carry a handheld. It's goes from the truck, to my ATV's, to my pocket very easily.

If you're really gonna get out there, get yourself a SPOT. Cheap insurance if the unthinkable happens.

Some other incidentals: a small compressor, tire plug kit, small HD shovel, basic tool kit, sleeping bags, camera, food, gun, knife, lighter, TP, paper maps if available, extra clothes(including hats), sunscreen, tarp, trash bags.

Enjoy your trip and take pics to share.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sat phone if really out there and can give coordinates....

my daughter went to Manaus, Brazil (and out into the jungles) a few times and I tracked her online with her cell phone when it had service

and it actually HAD service all but one day !!!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would take an extra serpentine belt.

+1 to a SPOT, this is more for your family's sake than your own.

Do not take paper maps "if available", take paper maps period. A GPS is a wonderful thing, and I use them myself, but ALWAYS have a paper map and compass. Also know how to use them. You can print all the topo maps you want for free from ACME Mapper 2.0

Those are great maps, just make sure to zoom in to the detail you want, and set your printer to its highest print resolution. I like to mark my expected routes in pencil directly on the map. Then I place the map in a protective cover and use dry-erase markers to mark areas I MIGHT explore. You might also consider making a second copy of them and give them to the person who will be monitoring your SPOT and expected return dates.

Also, take more water than you think you will need, and +1 to a good water filter, and know how to use it.

Take emergency clothing, fire-starting methods, tent (you never know, and its not like you don't have a ton of room)

Take more food than you think you will need.

Take emergency lighting. (headlamp, spotlight/big flashlight)

Take more diesel than you think you will need.

I do not really think your truck needs anything extra, other than the suggestions already stated by BigPigDaddy.

Ok, enough junk from me. Sorry for such a long reply.

If you have any questions or need clarification about any of my suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Enjoy the scenery!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM
hkaiser83
Senior User
These are all awesome suggestions. SPOT is definitely on the list. I never thought about paper maps for some reason. Guess I'm too caught up in the digital age. A custom rear bumper is definitely on the list. I was wondering if I should do a roof rack and keep 2 spare tires? Perhaps that is too excessive. I know I have seen custom rear bumpers with a tray and spare tire holder. I guess roof rack is going to be required.

Excellent ideas so far guys. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Depending on the terrain you intend to tackle, I'd swap out your Dana 50 for a Dana 60 and add a selectable locker to front and back axles. You say nothing crazy like crawling but you can still need to drop the hammer in deep silty stuff or sloppy mud. The Dana 60 is proven. Lockers are amazing.

I may even think about a dual alternator set up for reliability and extra juice in case you run alot of power hungry accessories.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Check over here... Expedition Portal Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Those guys have extended remote travel down to an art.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
hkaiser83
Senior User
Originally Posted by 89LX306

Thanks! I noticed you're in Houston and by your forum name I'm assuming you're running a 306 equipped foxbody? Are you on the Westside Mustangs forum?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hkaiser83
Thanks! I noticed you're in Houston and by your forum name I'm assuming you're running a 306 equipped foxbody? Are you on the Westside Mustangs forum?
Used to...on both accounts. Sold the Mustang several years back when a guy made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Here is the car right before I got rid of it. Super clean. Factory tan interior. Basic heads/cam/intake/nitrous car. It was a fun. I don't get over to WSM much anymore.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
hkaiser83
Senior User
Sadly I find myself losing interest in my Mustangs. My need for speed has virtually vanished.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306

X2

Also pirate4x4 has an expedition forum, not filled with the ~!@#$%^s in the 4x4 forums.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
NCPirate
Freshman User
I am hoping to use my Ex as an Expo rig. Kinda of the same idea, nothing really crazy offroad. Working on getting a good list together for easy trips now and then more hardcare trips later.