1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The worst smell!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
davidm199
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worst smell!!!

so I wanted to see what the transmission gears looked like in my 53 250 that has sat since proby the 70s.

Opened up the tranny and oh man got to love that smell.

What I believe is original tranny fluid, got to be the worst smelling stuff I have came across in a while. Well since i did the rear diff

Gojo won't even get it off my fingers!

Anyone else have this problem too, or anything that smelled worst.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Well, there was that wild night bac......oh wait, this is a family site.....nevermind

Years ago I worked in an old shop with in floor hoists. Needless to say the pits the hoist fit into in the floor would fill up with a variety of fluids and other things. That stuff was awful!!! When you dropped a tool in there it was tempting to go buy another instead of having to fish around in the gunk...

Bobby

Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
You should visit a few of the recent construction sites I've been on.We're recommending the General Contractor require - in addition to a safety orientation - toilet training for the non-English speaking tradesmen.The Port-a-Potty's make that 60 year old sludge smell like an expensive cologne.Nuff said.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Uh.....you don't want me to answer that question. Trust me, I'll take any foul smell an automobile can throw at me anyday. I'll tell you something that absolutely just about killed me that I CAN share on this family oriented forum. Have any of you put out one of those blue swimming pools from Walmart for your kids? The one with the blow up ring on top that keeps the water from escaping. Wait till you take it back up in the fall. That smell comes right out of the pits of hell, especially if you put it on grass.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
My kids diaper has beat them all so far.
the second is the port-a-potty like Steve said.coronas+burritos=port-a-potty from hell.there is no OSHA approved gas mask for those but there should be.
the third was old gasoline mixed with carb cleaner.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
For a summer back in High School I worked for a septic tank service. My, my, my, that surely had its own distinctive smell.
jim

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had Steak n Shake lastnight, went to walmart after that. Walking down the isle I proceded to cropdust the sock isle. I forgot my wife and son were behind me, my son was holding his nose and my wife had tears in her eyes. Even I was scared to claim that one...

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ingredients - German wine Fest, several bottles of white wine+ Pretzels with hot mustard + Sausages with Black bread and hot mustard - all washed down with lots of good German beer - Let sit for several hours while sleeping on the hood of a car - Once smelled it can't be unsmelled.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
In the '70s when I had hair, I had long hair like half-way down my back. At that time I was stabbing a big-block engine with a 4 speed into an unmentionable american vehicle when it got stuck on something. I had neglected to cap the 4 speed which poured out a nice puddle of high mileage 90 wt. on the garage floor.

Well I crawled under there to see what the problem was looking upward of course. I then realized I was annointed with oil of the worst vintage. I must have washed my hair 20 times and my wife would still not let me near our bed for a week.

That's a hoot since I haven't thought if that in years.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first job, back in 74, was in a butcher shop. The fresh chickens came packed in a cardboard box in ice. As the stack of chicken boxes slowly filled with water it leaked out and dripped into a ten gallon pan underneth the rack. Once a week we two of us would carry the pan outside and dump it in the vacant lot. Inevitably, we would spill some on our tennis shoes! I'd have to say that was worse than burned tranny fluid smell. Jag

Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by eman92082
In the '70s when I had hair, I had long hair like half-way down my back. At that time I was stabbing a big-block engine with a 4 speed into an unmentionable american vehicle when it got stuck on something. I had neglected to cap the 4 speed which poured out a nice puddle of high mileage 90 wt. on the garage floor.

Well I crawled under there to see what the problem was looking upward of course. I then realized I was annointed with oil of the worst vintage. I must have washed my hair 20 times and my wife would still not let me near our bed for a week.

That's a hoot since I haven't thought if that in years.
Been there, done that......man it take a long time for you head to quit smelling like 90wt.....a gadzillion washings with shampoo, Tide, dishwashing soap, etc...nothing helps

Bobby

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
My first job, back in 74, was in a butcher shop. The fresh chickens came packed in a cardboard box in ice. As the stack of chicken boxes slowly filled with water it leaked out and dripped into a ten gallon pan underneth the rack. Once a week we two of us would carry the pan outside and dump it in the vacant lot. Inevitably, we would spill some on our tennis shoes! I'd have to say that was worse than burned tranny fluid smell. Jag
Yup, those chickens stink. I had a job hauling those same leaking chicken boxes in my delivery truck to the local Chicken Drive In in the old days.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,421 Likes on 1,377 Posts
I worked at a bodyshop/tow company that hauled in a multiple fatality wreck in the middle of the summer, 1985. The car was there for over a year during the investigation. That thing had a horrible ripe smell that lingered through the whole shop all summer long, and it's a smell I'll never forget.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I worked at a bodyshop/tow company that hauled in a multiple fatality wreck in the middle of the summer, 1985. The car was there for over a year during the investigation. That thing had a horrible ripe smell that lingered through the whole shop all summer long, and it's a smell I'll never forget.

Most likely it was what is called the smell of death. Once you have smelled it you won't ever forget.....

jim

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Uh.....you don't want me to answer that question. Trust me, I'll take any foul smell an automobile can throw at me anyday. I'll tell you something that absolutely just about killed me that I CAN share on this family oriented forum. Have any of you put out one of those blue swimming pools from Walmart for your kids? The one with the blow up ring on top that keeps the water from escaping. Wait till you take it back up in the fall. That smell comes right out of the pits of hell, especially if you put it on grass.
Been there and done that! But only once. told them they could go to the river if they wanted to swim. And yes that smell came from hell, I had to till that area up and raked it and plant new seed. Never again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The worst smell!!!