1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Quick engine bay identification

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 04:00 PM
CDewey
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick engine bay identification

Could someone please tell me what these specific parts are in the pictures? They’re marked with arrows. I appreciate it!

I really appreciate it!

Old 05-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
Received 515 Likes on 463 Posts
Blower motor, and two vacuum canisters in the first pic. Oh, that can looking thing is part of the AC system,

Wiper motor and I think ignition control module in the second pic.

Under "documentation" here you'll find lots of answers.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Old 05-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
Oh, it looks like your brake booster has a leak too, you can see that where the master cylinder is bolted to it.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:34 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Put numbers on the arrows in the pictures so we can have a reference.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:51 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Capacity
Oh, that can looking thing is part of the AC system,

I think ignition control module in the second pic.
Accumulator/ receiver drier

Yes

Old 05-08-2023, 06:44 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 596 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Put numbers on the arrows in the pictures so we can have a reference.
The sixth purple arrow pointing at a 43 degree angle up is definitely pointing at a doomiflange....

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-08-2023, 08:59 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue2
The sixth purple arrow pointing at a 43 degree angle up is definitely pointing at a doomiflange....
Looks more like 39 degrees, not 43. It's easy to locate the doomiflange. It's just inboard of the fetzer valve:

Old 05-09-2023, 08:28 AM
CDewey
4wd Low
Blower motor, and two vacuum canisters in the first pic. Oh, that can looking thing is part of the AC system,

Wiper motor and I think ignition control module in the second pic.

Under "documentation" here you'll find lots of answers.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
I appreciate the help! I apologize for the brain fart and not numbering the arrows to make it easier! That was dumb of me! I have enough to go off of with what you said! And the truck doesn’t really have front brakes Anyways, so I’ll be replacing pretty much everything in that system! I appreciate it!!

Old 05-09-2023, 09:48 AM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
No front brakes, what's that about ?

Don't mind Karl, like some of us regulars, we can be troll's sometimes. But you'll find he is one of the "go to guys" on here, along with Dave F and Dave G.

As for brake boosters and MC, it took me a while and even had a couple trusted repair shops try and get the brakes back to OEM feel over about 7 years. A few years back I finally bought booster and MC from my local NAPA and have had good luck with them. The first mechanic who worked on my truck when my Dad owned it, back around 1990, put 3 boosters on it before he got something he was ok with. He was told, MFG's found out soccer moms didn't like the firm brake pedal lots of trucks and SUV back in the 80's came with. So they soften up the brake feel.

I also bought a Motive Power bleeder from Summit Racing to flush out the old brake fluid, I use it on all my cars.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:47 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
What is the one I have circled in red below? Is that a vacuum motor for a dealer or aftermarket cruise control? That's what it looks like, but they're not usually in that location, at least not that I have seen. Then again, none of my Bullnoses had cruise, factory or aftermarket...

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-09-2023, 04:19 PM
CDewey
4wd Low
No front brakes, what's that about ?

Don't mind Karl, like some of us regulars, we can be troll's sometimes. But you'll find he is one of the "go to guys" on here, along with Dave F and Dave G.

As for brake boosters and MC, it took me a while and even had a couple trusted repair shops try and get the brakes back to OEM feel over about 7 years. A few years back I finally bought booster and MC from my local NAPA and have had good luck with them. The first mechanic who worked on my truck when my Dad owned it, back around 1990, put 3 boosters on it before he got something he was ok with. He was told, MFG's found out soccer moms didn't like the firm brake pedal lots of trucks and SUV back in the 80's came with. So they soften up the brake feel.

I also bought a Motive Power bleeder from Summit Racing to flush out the old brake fluid, I use it on all my cars.

I don’t actually mean I don’t have a brake system, I apologize. The brakes are very much there, however, they very much do not work well at all. As it is a safety concern, I’ll be getting a new booster, MC, drum kits, etc…After a good visual inspection, I may just run new brake lines if I’m still skeptical but since it was a southern truck it’s whole life, I don’t think I’ll have many concerns with that.

NAPA is a bit of a drive, though I may just take the trek and get everything all in one if that’s y’all’s go to spot. I’ve heard they’re pretty decent with most everything on our trucks.

I appreciate all the info though. There’s growing pains in learning everything about this truck, and my intention is to clean up most everything and drive maybe a few thousand miles a year, while keeping everything as close to factory as possible. I’d REALLY like to know what I can get rid of and what I should look into replacing before I get it road worthy.

I’m looking to clean up wiring in the engine compartment, the interior is IMMACULATE minus a small bit of plastic that is deteriorating near the seat belt pillars. With only 64k miles on the truck, I’d love to keep it in great condition and have it for generations.

That master bleeder looks interesting. What are the 2 models in your picture for?

thanks again for all your info big dog!

Old 05-09-2023, 07:29 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rembrant
What is the one I have circled in red below? Is that a vacuum motor for a dealer or aftermarket cruise control? That's what it looks like, but they're not usually in that location, at least not that I have seen. Then again, none of my Bullnoses had cruise, factory or aftermarket...

I think you are right. That mounting bracket does not look stock. He could check and see if that black thing has a cable going to the throttle arm.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:06 PM
CDewey
4wd Low
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I think you are right. That mounting bracket does not look stock. He could check and see if that black thing has a cable going to the throttle arm.
I’ll take a look and see what it’s going to. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t touch the throttle, from my recollection, it just has a few tubes or hoses connected to it. I’ll try to see from where and let you know

if somehow this truck has cruise control, I’ll be more than impressed!

Old 05-10-2023, 06:39 AM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
The Motive Power bleeder model is the one that has the cap for the 3 prong MC cap on some Fords and imports, the other is the flat plate for some early American cars, MC.

When you need brake lines, auto parts store will have length's of ni-cop line with ends on it that is very easy to bend by hand. I have used it as many others have.

You should replace the rubber flex lines to the brake cylinders too at this age.

Check the rear main brake line, mine failed back in the early 2000's.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:02 PM
CDewey
4wd Low
Originally Posted by Rembrant

Well, as ya’ll thought, it’s connected to the throttle sure enough. Honestly have no idea what it’s going to, I have nothing on the dash or any controls that would indicate cruise control. You have any idea I pursue to figure it out?

Quick Reply: Quick engine bay identification