1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter won't stop running!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
krazeyelf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to butt in here, but the comments about the quality of parts quality is amusing. The other day I went to get a coil from autozone, and they had 2 store brand versions, regular and "gold." The regular was made in China, but their "gold" version was made in Mexico. Sounds like Mexican made is supposed to be a step up from Chinese made.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Mexican made is a step up. Unfortunately.

Some motorcraft parts are even made there. American made is going the way of the dodo....

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
spoiled1
New User
How can that be if the key is out. The starter relay should not be sending the juice to the starter.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiled1
How can that be if the key is out. The starter relay should not be sending the juice to the starter.
The key switch sends a signal to the relay - via the red/blue-stripe wire - for the relay to close its contacts and send straight battery power to the starter.

Releasing the key from START disconnects power from that red/blue wire, but relays sometimes stick inside.

Look here for more (from the sticky at the top of this forum):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
spoiled1
New User
disregard that last post

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
spoiled1
New User
ctubutis, Thanks, it finnaly enterd my feeble mind what I was missing.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
smashclash
Elder User
So it seems there are 2 different Motorcraft solenoids. One says it's for trucks with electric factory fuel pumps. The other is without the electric pumps. Interestingly the one withOUT the electric pumps seems to sell more on rockauto.com. That surprises me. I would assume mine requires one with the pump and most of our truck do have the electric pump?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Starter won't stop running!

Originally Posted by smashclash
So it seems there are 2 different Motorcraft solenoids. One says it's for trucks with electric factory fuel pumps. The other is without the electric pumps. Interestingly the one withOUT the electric pumps seems to sell more on rockauto.com. That surprises me. I would assume mine requires one with the pump and most of our truck do have the electric pump?
I assume that Rock Auto's with/without electric fuel pumps probably refers to the 351HO and 460 engined trucks with the "hot fuel handling package". These have two low pressure (3-6psi) in-tank pumps that are energized either when cranking through the starter solenoid, or through a relay and an oil pressure switch once the engine is running.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
if you ever have it happen again shut off the key pop the hood and peck on the top of solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver whatever you have at hand and it will fix it but chances are it will do it again i keep a screwdriver under the hood of the 7deuce just for that purpose

Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM
Markpedlow
New User
Originally Posted by smashclash
So I just got done replacing my cap, rotor, and new plug wires. I went to put the key and start it up. Well, something must have broke/stuck because the starter won't stop turning the engine over. I backed the key out and took it out and the starter is still turning over. The key cylinder still "feels" ok. Nothing feels broken or stuck and it's resistance when turning it has not changed, however I'm stuck with a constantly on starter.

I just pulled the key cylinder out and nothing appears to be broken or stuck with it. I pulled the actuator rod back so it was no longer in the "run" position. I hooked the negative portion of the battery back up and the starter came right on trying to start it. Something is stuck somewhere.... Any ideas?
so I lent my truck to my dad, told me truck was making a funny noise for a bit. Long story short he was driving with the starter going constantly. Tried to start the truck, got clicks for solenoid but nothing else. Tried bypassing solenoid got nothing. Went and got a new start think he burnt the old one out but still same problems. Any ideas anyone?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Read the previous posts about cheap Chinese made starter relays on Fords. The crappy Chineseum metal welds together and won't disengage. You're almost better finding a good used one in a junkyard. Long term solution, upgrade to a PMGR starter and rewire accordingly.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 689 Likes on 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Markpedlow
Any ideas anyone?

Here you go:

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Ford Starter Relay but Were Afraid to Ask

Old 02-14-2019, 01:11 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

so I lent my truck to my dad, told me truck was making a funny noise for a bit. Long story short he was driving with the starter going constantly. Tried to start the truck, got clicks for solenoid but nothing else. Tried bypassing solenoid got nothing. Went and got a new start think he burnt the old one out but still same problems. Any ideas anyone?
Check your wires, possible they burnt up with the starter running that long. Give this a read, got good methods for testing circuits. Voltage Drop Testing How-To: Fix That Slow Starter

Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Markpedlow
New User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Read the previous posts about cheap Chinese made starter relays on Fords. The crappy Chineseum metal welds together and won't disengage. You're almost better finding a good used one in a junkyard. Long term solution, upgrade to a PMGR starter and rewire accordingly.
but I tried bypassing the solenoid by jumping the poles wouldn’t that rule it out?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

but I tried bypassing the solenoid by jumping the poles wouldn’t that rule it out?
Did you jumper to the starter or just around the solenoid?

Quick Reply: Starter won't stop running!