Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo Predator Now Shipping. Free overnight shipping.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 08:58 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Diablo Predator is now shipping. All Predators have free overnight shipping! Initial results are very impressive.

The Predator has been updated to support all 1999 Powerstrokes. Additionally, it now supports the E-series vans as well. For information about the Predator, see:

http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/c...ome.php?cat=38

Old 05-06-2003, 08:07 PM
insolution
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a SuperChips MicroTuner 1705 setup in my 2001 PSD and it was pretty impressive. Good mileage gain and I like the increased throttle responsiveness. No more hesitation when I stepped on it.

I happened into a DiabloSport Revolution chip for sale in the local paper and decided to give it a whirl. The guy had a friend who was a beta tester for DiabloSport and he had the revolution installed in his 2001 Excursion PSD...same as mine. He was turning in his lease and bought a new 6.0L, so the chip had to go. My great luck!

I installed the chip and WOW! What a HUGE difference over the SuperChips program You just can't compare simply monkeying with the stock PCM versus actually installing a replacement for it (well, the chip anyway). I was floored (literally) by the performance gain!

I called DiabloSport to learn more about what I had purchased and was surprised to find out that the Revolution hasn't been released to manufacturing yet. The tech at DiabloSport said he would be more than happy to try a couple of different programs in the chip for me (as they are only 1/2 hour away from me). When I arrived, they were very helpful, tried FOUR different programs for me...and you know what? They didn't charge me a dime. Over an hour of service and they wouldn't take a penny.

I can't say enough good things about DiabloSport. They are simply one of the nicest companies I've dealt with. Friendly, helpful, and focused on customer service and great products.

Just my $0.02, but they made a believer out of me!

Yes, the chips are more expnsive than the tuners, but if you've done the exhaust, have the AFE installed and gauges, and now you want to really have some fun, contact them. You won't regret it.

Scott

Old 05-06-2003, 08:16 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

The Revolution is the same hardware as a standard Diablo chip. Its simply formated (software) differently. Doesn't mean the programming is any different either. The difference is the Revolution will allow the dealer to make changes without having to get templates from Diablo.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:10 PM
jwehrle
New User

My diablo is incredible. It is like driving a different vehicle. The throttle response on the 60hp setting is great. I have a 2000 excursion with the 7.3 and it pulls like a mack truck now. The only question I had is that the overhead computer now calculates the gas mileage wrong. I reset it when I filled up and it showed 20.8 mpg when I filled up again. I did the math on the odometer and I "only" got 14.5 mpg. Before the tuner it was right on with the math but now it is quite a bit off. Anyone else notice this problem? Even if I have to live with it, the tuner is well worth the money.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:36 PM
76Econoline
Senior User

jwehrle, I just bought a 2000 PSD Ltd X last night, which I plan to use for towing a 9000 lbs enclosed car trailer. Living on the Left Coast, I need to climb up 4000'-7000' passes to get anywhere, so I am really intrigued by the Diablo. Anyway, I was wondering if you run the 60 hp setting with the stock exhaust?

Ken, please feel free to weigh in. Can I get by this year with the stock exhaust? I was looking at the Banks system, but the price tag was a bit steep for the near future. Will the stock system do okay at the 40 or 60 hp levels, or are there cheaper alternatives (to the Banks) out there if it's important to upgrade the exhaust.

TIA, Stan

Old 07-17-2003, 04:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

The mileage meter being off is going to happen with just about any tuning chip or programmer. Once you have a few baseline measurements you'll know how far its off (it should be consistent).

Old 07-17-2003, 04:59 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Originally posted by 76Econoline
jwehrle, I just bought a 2000 PSD Ltd X last night, which I plan to use for towing a 9000 lbs enclosed car trailer. Living on the Left Coast, I need to climb up 4000'-7000' passes to get anywhere, so I am really intrigued by the Diablo. Anyway, I was wondering if you run the 60 hp setting with the stock exhaust?

Ken, please feel free to weigh in. Can I get by this year with the stock exhaust? I was looking at the Banks system, but the price tag was a bit steep for the near future. Will the stock system do okay at the 40 or 60 hp levels, or are there cheaper alternatives (to the Banks) out there if it's important to upgrade the exhaust.

TIA, Stan
The elevation can cause problems. With a diesel, the more air the cooler the exhaust. As you go higher in elevation the exhaust temps will climb, even with a stock computer.

I recommend an intake system as it'll drop EGTs by about 100-150 degrees at higher elevations. Also, get an EGT gauge. You ought to be fine with that combination and the EGT gauge will let you know if you need an exhaust system as well (or if you ought to save your money!)....

We've got exhausts as well for a lot less than Banks and we're about to announce a major price drop early next week. We're also about to carry Banks as well but with Banks a lot of what you're paying for is the name.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:26 PM
76Econoline
Senior User

Ken, thanks for the feedback. Are you recommending the intake and the EGT first - before buying the Diablo, or in conjunction with the Diablo? I found intakes and exhaust on your website, but not EGTs. Can you recommend one? Thanks! Stan

Old 10-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Ken, do you still carry any Banks systems? If the price is right, I'd be willing to buy one from you.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM
lockdoc600
Junior User
I currently have the Diablo chip installed in my 2000 X and I am wondering if there are any benefits to upgrading to the Predator? Any comments are appreciated.

I am following the suggestions to upgrade the shocks (I am going Edelbrock) and add the Helwig anti sway and today I had a 4 inch exhaust system installed. By the end of the week it will all be installed! I frequently tow a 30 foot camper with toy hauler but also do alot of no tow driving and am wondering if the Predator would have some advantages that I do not have with the programmed chip?

I enjoy the comments.....keep 'em coming!

Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
In answer to a couple of questions:

1. No, MotorHaven does not carry Banks at this time.

2. If you have a chip there's really no need to switch to a tuner unless you need the diagnostic functions. The Diablo tunes in the chips are pretty solid.