Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking in on driver floor

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
trucktech
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water leaking in on driver floor

it was raining today and when i went to get in my X i notice water dripping in on the floor in my rubber mats. it was down by the ebrake pedal under the dash. is this a windsheild seal problem?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better dry off and cover up your GEM on the back of the fusebox fast... When it gets wet things get expensive.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM
merlinx
New User
I am a auto tech and have seen this a few times. You hit the nail on the head with the seal around your windsheild. You can try to run a water hose around the glass to be sure. I have replaced many fuse blocks as a result of this problem, can cause allsorts of strange electrical problems. hope this helped,good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Have you had your windshield replaced or just bought this X? Windshields dont usually start leaking unless they have had a poor install sometime recently.
I have found grommets in the firewall, sunroof drains, heater box, etc. to cause this also.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Your mostly correct... most windshields dont leak unless installed wrong, but Ford trucks aren't like most vehicles in this aspect....... For some odd reason Ford trucks like to leak at the windshield area after a few years. Maybe the sealant they use shrinks or they didn't use enough. I dont know. I do know I have owned a lot of Fords and seen a lot go through the body shop and it seems every other one had a leaky windshield. I lost the GEM in my 97 due to a leaky windshield area. It even leaked after a new windshield and turned out to be a seam in the firewall below it. I am going to proactively cover the GEM in my Excursion so that if it does get a leak it wont cripple my truck.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
trucktech
Junior User
i just bought my x and it seems to have the stock windshield in it still has ford logo and the kentucky truck plant sticker on the lower left coner.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Your mostly correct... most windshields dont leak unless installed wrong, but Ford trucks aren't like most vehicles in this aspect....... For some odd reason Ford trucks like to leak at the windshield area after a few years. Maybe the sealant they use shrinks or they didn't use enough. I dont know. I do know I have owned a lot of Fords and seen a lot go through the body shop and it seems every other one had a leaky windshield. I lost the GEM in my 97 due to a leaky windshield area. It even leaked after a new windshield and turned out to be a seam in the firewall below it. I am going to proactively cover the GEM in my Excursion so that if it does get a leak it wont cripple my truck.
Ford Dodge and GM all have had this problem Ive pulled many of each that were poorly primed, either the glass or the pinchweld let loose of the urethane. Its not too common of a problem to create leaks like that but it can happen

Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
I think I just noticed this on my Ex. Going to head out and try to find the GEM and cover it up.

Is there anything else that could cause a leak near / between the brake pedal and emergency brake pedal?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM
tfs2403
Junior User
pic of the module?

Anyone got a pic of the GEM or and where its at? I find water in the same area in my Ex also,,,,,,Need to cover it and fast...no extra $$ around these days to buy a new one!

Please and thanks

Robb

Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
X3, I need to do that myself. I noticed mine done that once. I replaced the drivers side door seal. I have not noticed it again but that don't mean it fixed the problem

Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm joining the club with this one! Yay, she let out a big drip the last rain storm we had. Is there a common place that they do leak? Weld, etc

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Hitagain
Mountain Pass
Mine was the seal around the window.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitagain
Mine was the seal around the window.
Same here on my previous EX, I just had a new oem glass put in. Can't remember $$ but if I recall it was cheap

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
darn Gypsy Glass! Alright I'm on it! 2 for 1 sale at the epoxy shop. Over

Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
I've noticed the seal around my windshield is starting to come up, I don't want to deal with this. I'm kind of bummed - it's still the original windshield with the kentucky plant sticker on it .

Any of you guys replacing windshields, I'd only ever change it out with a Carlite windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water leaking in on driver floor