Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 Escape Loud whistle when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM
BigD_ca
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Escape Loud whistle when accelerating

My girlfriend has a 2001 Ford Escape 3L, 6cyl.

When accelerating there is a loud high pitch whistle/whirling sound. The sound varies with the amount of throttle you give it. More throttle = louder whine. Doesn't seem to do it when idling or coasting.

Anyone know what that could be?

I'm about to remove the belt and take a look at the drive belt tensioner and other pulleys.

Thanks.

**************UPDATE***************

Just checked pulleys and tensioner and the tensioner seems fine, a/c pulley spins smooth and free no play, alternator spins smooth no play. The belt needs to be replaced. I wouldn't think this would cause such a load whistle under acceleration. I would expect it to do it all the time if it was the belt.

I'm looking at the water pump pulley and belt too and they seem ok as well.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by BigD_ca; 04-16-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I would be looking at the air intake schnorkel[big black hose/tube leading from by the radiator, through the air cleaner and into the throttle body. There is a funny shaped piece of plastic attached partway along the tube which is a sound attenuator. It modifies the sound the intake makes at specific throttle positions. Harmonics can occur which you might find bothersome, so they attach the 'L-shaped' plastic.
Given all that, I would look for loose connections, loose hoses attached to the intake manifold, or brake booster, or to the PCV system. Apparently, the 3.0 is noted for an elbow on the PCV rotting out and causing air leaks. It could also cause noise.
A good inspection would be my recommendation. Look at the intake stuff...
A test to determine if it is intake or other is to accelerate to a speed where the noise is apparent, put the transmission in neutral and let the car coast. Take your foot off the throttle, and if the noise goes away, you know it is throttle or rpm related.
tom

Old 04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
blupastu408w
Freshman User
Few questions to help diagnose:

-What does it sound like, a whistle or a whine? When I think if a whining noise I think low power steering fluid, a high pitched whistle could be a few things though

-Does the vehicle have a Check Engine Light on? If so, what are the codes?

-When does it make the sound? Is it LOAD specific, making the noise in any gear but gets louder the more the accelerator is depressed... OR is it RPM specific? A whistling noise in 4th gear (over drive) that gets louder as the accelerator is pressed (but not pressed so hard that it down shift) would indicate a load specific noise... likely a large vacuum leak.

JFYI, I had a bad serpentine belt that was quite noisy, but it was obvious that it was the belt.... one of the six ribs had sheered off and part of the outer (and mostly missing) 'v' rib was flailing around.

Again, just another FYI, a water pump on the way out could make that noise. Occasionally I've seen them get noisy before they start leaking... remove the belt and check for any play in the shaft and that it spins freely.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM
BigD_ca
Junior User
Thanks for the replies.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
It only makes the noise when the accelerator is pressed. The more throttle the louder the whistle. If I take my foot off the accelerator the noise stops, whether its in neutral or drive.
<o></o>
It is more of a whistle. Thought maybe the bearings were gone on a pulley but everything checks out. Water pump looks good.<o></o>

No codes or lights on.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mine does the same thing when accelerating about 4000-5000 rpm kinda sounds like a turbo

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM
cat-977
New User
check you exhaust at the Y pipe, look around for black soot at the connections, and stick a rag in the tail pipe and listen, you know plug the pipe

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
gregorymp
New User
Whistle while you work!!

I also have a 2001 Escape. If your check engine light is on then you probably have a bad vacum booster. My Escape whistled untill I got mine replaced. All quiet now

Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Can the noise be reproduced in park in the driveway? If so, find a piece of 1/2 hose about 2 feet long. Have a friend raise the RPM until the whistle can be herd. Then place the hose to one ear and move the other end over the engine bay until the whistle is the loudest.
Then pinpoint the exact area of the noise by inspecting belts, hoses, vacuum lines, pulleys and other parts in that area for damage.
Be careful with the end of the hose and don't get your hand or the hose in any moving parts.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
martin_csr
Senior User
Others have reported here n there that a defective IAC valve will cause a loud noise, described as sounding like a turbo charger.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
jllangfo69
New User
please help

I have the exact same prob with my 2001 escape, ive spent to much tryin to find dang squeal. wat did urs wind up being

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
lancedj
New User
I have a 2003 ford excursion and its been making a whistle noise when it hits about 2000 rpm and anything over it stops... but today it started to stutter when it was parked n was at low idle... and the p0720 code came up.. so I'm thinking my problem is my air intake... need some help please

Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
joester
Freshman User
I have the same issue with mine, and traced it via hose to the ear method to the intake manifold. Mine seems to come from the rear portion of the manifold where several hoses connect

I figure there is probably some build-up inside the manifold causing turbulence where there wouldn't be in a new or clean manifold. If I had a bore-scope handy I would investigate, but I'm really not to concerned.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Eddycar
New User
Hi do you end up fixing the problem? What was it at the end?

QUOTE=BigD_ca;10227926]My girlfriend has a 2001 Ford Escape 3L, 6cyl.

When accelerating there is a loud high pitch whistle/whirling sound. The sound varies with the amount of throttle you give it. More throttle = louder whine. Doesn't seem to do it when idling or coasting.

Anyone know what that could be?

I'm about to remove the belt and take a look at the drive belt tensioner and other pulleys.

Thanks.

**************UPDATE***************

Just checked pulleys and tensioner and the tensioner seems fine, a/c pulley spins smooth and free no play, alternator spins smooth no play. The belt needs to be replaced. I wouldn't think this would cause such a load whistle under acceleration. I would expect it to do it all the time if it was the belt.

I'm looking at the water pump pulley and belt too and they seem ok as well.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]