1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Moved exhaust outing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Moved exhaust outing

Had my exhaust redone to exit infront of rear wheels... Had to cut off the flowmasters and move them forwards about 5" and then new pipes to the edge and new hangers...

1st pic shows where they were
2nd pic is where the mufflers were
3rd pic shows where they are now!

Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice!..

does it sound any different inside the cab?

Sam

Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the same question I have.

I have dual flow masters on mine but they end just behind the cab on the passenger side because of the location of the gas tank. See picture below, they are in the top right corner.

As much as I love the sound I am going to extend mine to the rear of the truck.

Looking forward to hear how yours sounds now.

jim

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Mine ends at the cab now (but not quite out from under the truck) so I am too trying to decide to go out in front of the wheel or out the back. Thoughts on volume would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I had turndowns right before the axle for a while.. man can you puke up some dirt!.. (did I mention I hate cleaning!)

due to my airbagged rear, I couldn't get the exhaust over the rear axle, so had to come out in the rear fender space in front of the tire..
(my long tube headers and crossover pipe forced everything back a ways..)

Sam

Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet it's noticeably louder. You will get quieter the further back you move the outlet. Having them out the back behind the rear wheels is where it will be the quietest.
sdetweil is right about dumping the exhaust in front of the rear, you do create dust storms as you cruise down dusty parking lots and roads

Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Good timing. I'll be taking my F1 to the muffler shop soon and I'm trying to decide how to run my exhaust. I'd like to run it out the back to keep the noise down, but with the ebrake cable, shocks and spare tire I don't know if they can do it. I may have to exit the pipes under the running boards just in front of the rear fenders, just like yours, Moe. That would make for a simple and cheap system, but I'm concerned that the outlets that close to the side windows might be a bit loud. What do you think of your system? My other choice may be to just end the system with turn downs right in front of the axle.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Moe
Slight ghange of subject - Really like the Artillery Wheels - What size wheels and tires are you running - I can get a set of 4 15" wheels that need cleaned up for $100

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Good timing. I'll be taking my F1 to the muffler shop soon and I'm trying to decide how to run my exhaust. I'd like to run it out the back to keep the noise down, but with the ebrake cable, shocks and spare tire I don't know if they can do it. I may have to exit the pipes under the running boards just in front of the rear fenders, just like yours, Moe. That would make for a simple and cheap system, but I'm concerned that the outlets that close to the side windows might be a bit loud. What do you think of your system? My other choice may be to just end the system with turn downs right in front of the axle.
I drove mine with nothing behind the Smithy's for a couple of years. They dumped about at the front of the bed, pointing straight back. It sounded nice, didn't seem loud in the cab, but then last Fall I finally took it in for the rest of the system. The difference is striking! It sounds mellower, MUCH quieter in the cab, and I don't ever get a wiff of fumes. I am not sure I can run a full-size spare under the bed, but it looks possible. I don't have the hangers for a spare yet anyway, so it's academic.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Hi All, It is more noticable, but not that bad... I like it, thinking about it I've only driven with the windows down. I have nothing on the floor or headliner... I will be add sound deadener, carpet and headliner to help keep the inside comfortable. I plan to move the fuel cell to the spare tire location.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Moe
Slight ghange of subject - Really like the Artillery Wheels - What size wheels and tires are you running - I can get a set of 4 15" wheels that need cleaned up for $100
My fronts are 225/70R15 on 15x6 Ford f-series
rears are 235/75R16 on 16x7 Dodge Ram

Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Thank You - They look really sharp

Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
side exit

HEY MOE I ran mine out there but customized the running boards . Check them out !!!

Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
HEY MOE I ran mine out there but customized the running boards . Check them out !!!
sorry for the topic grab, but is that the fuel line running right next to the muffler? I hate to butt in, but you should push that back to the back of the chassis rail.. you might be ok while you're driving, but when you slow down in traffic all the muffler heat will radiate on the fuel line..

my opinion..

back to your regularly scheduled exhaust outlet topic..

sam

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
thank

Originally Posted by sdetweil
sorry for the topic grab, but is that the fuel line running right next to the muffler? I hate to butt in, but you should push that back to the back of the chassis rail.. you might be ok while you're driving, but when you slow down in traffic all the muffler heat will radiate on the fuel line..

my opinion..

back to your regularly scheduled exhaust outlet topic..

sam
Its not really that close sam. Someone here already said something about that and i looked at it.