Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior User

frodfreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
atf? ??

I have seen a few people running used automatic tranmission fluid in there diesels. I would like to no if this is true and how to go about doing this wit out doing any kind of mods .Filtering, mixing, do u have to have add any thing???...ect I can get it from my work and it is just used atf nothing else. And if I could make this work could I still use plain o fuel from the pump it I was to run out...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Personally, I would not use USED ATF. Used trans fluid contains microparticles of friction materal from the clutches and bands and could cause wear in the IP and injectors.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior User

Kert0307 has a good reputation on FTE.Kert0307 has a good reputation on FTE.Kert0307 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would only use it if it was filtered well (minimum of running it through a 5 micron filter twice) and mixed with diesel maybe up to 80% diesel and 20% filtered ATF. You're still taking a risk though, but if it was filtered well I might try it.
6.0 owner be like: "There was that one time I made a trip without problems."
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Posting Guru

flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.
matthew.mccleary.nm harleynmt matthewmccleary immortalbroom32
Best, and long-term cheapest, way to filter is to use a centrifuge. Check out the ones at Dieselcraft and PA Biodiesel Supply. The cost of a pump and centrifuge can be recovered in a year with free fuel...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
New User

hollerbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
ATF will work in 7.3 and older engines newer engines injectors cannot handle the thicker atf/diesel mix. Also running atf is illegal do to emission laws and if you get pulled over and checked by dot it will look like you are running farm fuel which will get you a VERY big ticket.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Posting Guru

PA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputation
when i was in the military, i saw a civillian service mech, doing a fuel filter on a HMMWV with GM's 6.2/6.5 he would fill the filter housing with new ATF on reasembly. He said it was easier than bleeding the fuel system and therefor faster for him to complete the job. I was surprised that it would run with straight atf in it, or minimaly mixed.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 AM
New User

ATF

I was a construction mechanic in the seabees for 16 years,When ever we changed fuel filters on a diesel and no diesel was handy we would use atf to fill the filter. It did not hurt anything and was used up quickly.Like the old multifuel diesels we ran you could just about **** in the fuel tank and it would run.The newer fords these days have extremely tight tolerances in the injectors moving parts and the orifices are smaller to.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
RED IS BAD!!! It could prove to be a very bad choice. Maybe mixed with enough used engine oil to mask the red color, but beware if you get stopped by DOT and they stick your tank, you could be in for a very BAD time.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
New User

oil in diesel

NEVER mix engine oil with your diesel in light trucks,some people do it in semi/heavy trucks, the fuel system in those trucks is heavier duty with larger orifices and can handle it but not legalaly. the best thing you can do is run straight clean diesel, the problems later from mixing are not worth it. If you want better fuel economy try propane injection,if done correctly you can gain several mpg and increased performance as long as you drive normal and not ***** to the wall.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior User

Chris72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Poeple have been mixing engine oil in the old 7.3 and other IDIs for years. Pretty common practice as long as its filtered.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Senior User

TxFordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
You should avoid running anything in your stock tank other than diesel. Oils (motor, atf, wvo) are thicker. You need a heated tank to run them PROPERLY. This lowers the viscosity for the engine to tolerate efficiently.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
New User

Nuthinfancy201 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I understand the caution. But I do have to add that I work at a transmission shop. I drive a 2000 F-250 7.3 The truck has just over 480,000 miles, and the last 200,000 have been run on a 90/10 mix. That's 90% uatf, 10% diesel. Filtered to 3 microns. Still on the factory injectors, and for that matter factory everything else. A few water pumps, 2 fuel pumps, and too many alternators to count. Rebuilt turbo once. Other than that, it's never been touched. Granted I take care of it. But the uatf has yet to cause a single problem.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM
New User

Nuthinfancy201 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will add that there are legal risks involved. I don't run the risk of getting my tank dipped, but some people do. And yes it will gel up at a higher temp than straight diesel. But living in the south, I have no worries about needing a heated tank. I'll also add that my mileage does suffer. I average about 4 mpg less than strait diesel, but when the fuel is free who cares. I do have to say though, I find that the truck actually runs better and much less noise from the injectors when running uatf. A little more smoke, but I also live in an area with no emissions testing. And no modifications other than a dp tuner.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's interesting that you get less mileage than 100% DINO. The UATF is probably effectively retarding the flame propogation causing the smoke and loss of mileage.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Senior User

twtcad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
profile.php?id=1306393140
I run straight WVO during the summer and blend in the winter 10gal dino & 35gal WVO. I also run at least 1qt of ATF (new) in every tank (well most) for it's cleaning properties and have had no issues. Also when ever I change my oil (neighbors too) or the tranny I will mix a few quarts in w/ my batch of WVO when I centrifuge it, then polish w/ a 2 micron filter and run in my truck. The only fuel system mods I've done is the "Hutch tank mod" (got rid of the plastic crap in the tanks pickup) and I've added a coolant fuel heater, an electric fuel heater & a filter between the heater and fuel pump. Single tank setup and it works great. Single tank is not ideal; but didn't have the funds to do a 2 tank system.
I also HIGHLY recommend Clay @ http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
62, absolute, atf, bg, biodiesel, blend, centrifuge, diesel, enthusiast, ford, illegal, pa, run, supply, truck