atf? ??

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM
frodfreak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atf? ??

I have seen a few people running used automatic tranmission fluid in there diesels. I would like to no if this is true and how to go about doing this wit out doing any kind of mods .Filtering, mixing, do u have to have add any thing???...ect I can get it from my work and it is just used atf nothing else. And if I could make this work could I still use plain o fuel from the pump it I was to run out...

Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I would not use USED ATF. Used trans fluid contains microparticles of friction materal from the clutches and bands and could cause wear in the IP and injectors.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would only use it if it was filtered well (minimum of running it through a 5 micron filter twice) and mixed with diesel maybe up to 80% diesel and 20% filtered ATF. You're still taking a risk though, but if it was filtered well I might try it.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best, and long-term cheapest, way to filter is to use a centrifuge. Check out the ones at Dieselcraft and PA Biodiesel Supply. The cost of a pump and centrifuge can be recovered in a year with free fuel...

Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
hollerbanger
New User
ATF will work in 7.3 and older engines newer engines injectors cannot handle the thicker atf/diesel mix. Also running atf is illegal do to emission laws and if you get pulled over and checked by dot it will look like you are running farm fuel which will get you a VERY big ticket.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

when i was in the military, i saw a civillian service mech, doing a fuel filter on a HMMWV with GM's 6.2/6.5 he would fill the filter housing with new ATF on reasembly. He said it was easier than bleeding the fuel system and therefor faster for him to complete the job. I was surprised that it would run with straight atf in it, or minimaly mixed.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 AM
hollerbanger
New User
ATF

I was a construction mechanic in the seabees for 16 years,When ever we changed fuel filters on a diesel and no diesel was handy we would use atf to fill the filter. It did not hurt anything and was used up quickly.Like the old multifuel diesels we ran you could just about **** in the fuel tank and it would run.The newer fords these days have extremely tight tolerances in the injectors moving parts and the orifices are smaller to.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Marianna2003
Elder User
RED IS BAD!!! It could prove to be a very bad choice. Maybe mixed with enough used engine oil to mask the red color, but beware if you get stopped by DOT and they stick your tank, you could be in for a very BAD time.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
hollerbanger
New User
oil in diesel

NEVER mix engine oil with your diesel in light trucks,some people do it in semi/heavy trucks, the fuel system in those trucks is heavier duty with larger orifices and can handle it but not legalaly. the best thing you can do is run straight clean diesel, the problems later from mixing are not worth it. If you want better fuel economy try propane injection,if done correctly you can gain several mpg and increased performance as long as you drive normal and not ***** to the wall.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Chris72
Tuned
Poeple have been mixing engine oil in the old 7.3 and other IDIs for years. Pretty common practice as long as its filtered.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
You should avoid running anything in your stock tank other than diesel. Oils (motor, atf, wvo) are thicker. You need a heated tank to run them PROPERLY. This lowers the viscosity for the engine to tolerate efficiently.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Nuthinfancy201
New User
I understand the caution. But I do have to add that I work at a transmission shop. I drive a 2000 F-250 7.3 The truck has just over 480,000 miles, and the last 200,000 have been run on a 90/10 mix. That's 90% uatf, 10% diesel. Filtered to 3 microns. Still on the factory injectors, and for that matter factory everything else. A few water pumps, 2 fuel pumps, and too many alternators to count. Rebuilt turbo once. Other than that, it's never been touched. Granted I take care of it. But the uatf has yet to cause a single problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Nuthinfancy201
New User
I will add that there are legal risks involved. I don't run the risk of getting my tank dipped, but some people do. And yes it will gel up at a higher temp than straight diesel. But living in the south, I have no worries about needing a heated tank. I'll also add that my mileage does suffer. I average about 4 mpg less than strait diesel, but when the fuel is free who cares. I do have to say though, I find that the truck actually runs better and much less noise from the injectors when running uatf. A little more smoke, but I also live in an area with no emissions testing. And no modifications other than a dp tuner.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
It's interesting that you get less mileage than 100% DINO. The UATF is probably effectively retarding the flame propogation causing the smoke and loss of mileage.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
twtcad
Senior User
I run straight WVO during the summer and blend in the winter 10gal dino & 35gal WVO. I also run at least 1qt of ATF (new) in every tank (well most) for it's cleaning properties and have had no issues. Also when ever I change my oil (neighbors too) or the tranny I will mix a few quarts in w/ my batch of WVO when I centrifuge it, then polish w/ a 2 micron filter and run in my truck. The only fuel system mods I've done is the "Hutch tank mod" (got rid of the plastic crap in the tanks pickup) and I've added a coolant fuel heater, an electric fuel heater & a filter between the heater and fuel pump. Single tank setup and it works great. Single tank is not ideal; but didn't have the funds to do a 2 tank system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: atf? ??