Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior User

EconolineFan is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to get rusted rim off hub? Need advise

I am trying to remove my right rim on my 95 E150 from the hub but it seems to be rusted in place. I tried:

1) Penetrating spray (still waiting for it to set fully)

2) Beating it with a rubber mallet

3) Wiggling it side to side (won't budge)

4) Prying it with a flatnose screw driver and only ended up breaking two good screwdrivers.

Any ideas on how to remove this rim?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior User

I am at a loss as what to do now. I got new brake pads on one side but this side wheel wont come off. So now what. Bad situation.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Junior User

daveshomeservice is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hit it with a bigger hammer!! with wheel off ground, lug nuts loose, place a block of wood on rim,or a 2 x 4 across rim held in place with clamp, and take a good swing at block of wood. I use a wood splitting axe with a 3 foot handle, good luck

Dave
Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior User

Thanks Dave, should I hit from the outside or underneath the van on the inside?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior User

Fordranchero is starting off with a positive reputation.
The bigger hammer may work but I've had better luck with less damage by loosening wheel lugs and making a few tight turns in the back yard ( I've got a big back yard so if you don't, improvise).
I've had rims that I almost beat to pieces, heated up, tried everything and did loose wheel thing and they popped.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Ranchero. Loosen the lugs just a tiny bit and drive the van a bit (the circles thing sounds like it would work well); that should break the rim loose, especially if the penetrating oil has been slowly working its way in.

Good luck,
George
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordranchero View Post
The bigger hammer may work but I've had better luck with less damage by loosening wheel lugs and making a few tight turns in the back yard ( I've got a big back yard so if you don't, improvise).
I've had rims that I almost beat to pieces, heated up, tried everything and did loose wheel thing and they popped.

Good idea! I live on a cul d sac so driving in circles is no problem lol. How loose should the lugnuts be? Perhaps just hand tight? I will try this first thing in the morning if it does not work I'll go buy a big hammer and wood.

Nothing can happen by driving with one wheel that has fresh brake pads and other old ones right? As long as it's slow driving?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Senior User

How loose should the lugnuts be?

Maybe two three turns, just try it, it's not science.
No , it's not going to hurt it driving with new brakes on one side and not the other.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior User

The loose lugnuts/driving trick worked like magic! The sucker popped like a needle to a balloon. New brake pads on and I am one happy camper. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Good news, EcoFan! It's hard for a rusted-on wheel to argue with the weight of the van and saves a lot of energy beating on the wheel.

Take care,
George
Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior User

Save bashed knuckles and bent rims!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Elder User

Rico47635 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordranchero View Post
Save bashed knuckles and bent rims!
And possibly a busted windshield or several dents from flying tools. I hate it when that happens!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
a few years ago in an 83 LTD, some person i won't mention installed a pair of rims from a FWD ford (same 4x4.25" bolt pattern, slightly smaller center hole), and i got to it in the spring when it was time to take off the studded tires. after trying the loose nuts trick, including abusive braking in both forward and reverse, and spending much effort with a BFH, it still hadn't budged. finally, i tore apart the rear axle, put the wheel/axle shaft assembly in the press, and just over 5 tons of force was required before the shafts popped out of the rims.
its good to hear you got it off without too much fight!!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico47635 View Post
And possibly a busted windshield or several dents from flying tools. I hate it when that happens!

I'm okay with these sorts of accidents-----only coz I'm in the auto glas biz!!

Might also be a good idea to lightly coat the back side of the wheels with anti-seize----some think that's over kill but it can't hurt.

Adding that removing all lugs except two on opposite sides then moving the van forward or backward just a touch before slamming on the brakes----assuming you don't have a convenient cul-de-sac or big back yard.

As far as how loose to leave the lugs I'd let just leave the very bottom of the lugs "touch" the wheel hole, not so much the wheel could **** on the studs, possibly bending them.

Hopefully this isn't a common problem but it can be a PITA when it happens.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans

Tags
axle, f150, f250, ford, hub, hubs, remove, rim, rims, rusted, rusty, seized, vans, vehicle, wheels