6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Automatic climate control ticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my truck back after 2 weeks. They still wont admit to a dash noise. Unfortunately its impossible for me to make it there before 5:00 when all the techs leave and the SW says only a tech can identify a sound, no one else. They claim they have never heard the noise and tried everything possible.
I picked it up, hit the key for the glow plug and heard the noise before I even started it. Had a dealer employee listen to it, admitted he heard it, but he isnt a tech so nothing he can do.
Got home and noticed a big glob of white lithium grease on my black carpet just under the dash. I know for fact that wasnt there before. So did they try applying grease to the blend doors to avoid having to replace them?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
took it to another dealer (again) and they heard the noise. they told me they replaced the passenger blend door but my receipt says LH blend door actuator. I read on here that one side is easy to do while the other is much harder. I dont know if they can tell which one is actually making the noise????? I suspect they started by replacing the easier one to see if it fixed it or not. I got almost all the way home when the noise started again. Sounds like its behind the glove box.

Anyway, part number on my receipt is 9C3Z-19E616 MOTOR A 422862

Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
took it to another dealer (again) and they heard the noise. they told me they replaced the passenger blend door but my receipt says LH blend door actuator. I read on here that one side is easy to do while the other is much harder. I dont know if they can tell which one is actually making the noise????? I suspect they started by replacing the easier one to see if it fixed it or not. I got almost all the way home when the noise started again. Sounds like its behind the glove box.

Anyway, part number on my receipt is 9C3Z-19E616 MOTOR A 422862
Pull down your glovebox, get it to make the noise, you can put your hand on the actuator to verify which one. Theres one gear inside of it that commonly goes bad. If you have another one, you can swap it out. I've replaced dozens of them.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
caddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck starting making a ticking noise about a couple of months back. The noise sounded like it was coming from behind the vent located on the left side of the radio. It sounded as if a loose piece of plastic was hitting the blower wheel. But the noise stopped within a couple of days and has not comeback. ?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vloney
Pull down your glovebox, get it to make the noise, you can put your hand on the actuator to verify which one. Theres one gear inside of it that commonly goes bad. If you have another one, you can swap it out. I've replaced dozens of them.
Thanks Vloney! Are both of them easy to replace? I thought I read that one of them was a DIY job and the other side required the whole dash to come out. Also heard there is a control module that could go bad but that "shouldnt" be responsible for the noise I am hearing.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 AM
jsa3107
Senior User
I had mine changed under warranty about 6 months ago it is now making the noise again
I wonder if they need to change the 2nd one or is it bad again
I will have to take it back in

Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Mine has moved up to a 'creaking floor' sound now, its almost louder than the stereo...

Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vloney
Is it easy and cheap to swap out? (15minute weekend hack) I hate spending the morning at the dealer 25miles away even for warranty work. Do you happen to know the part number(s)?

thanks!

longview--my floor was creaking too. There's a TSB to fix it and it involves some kind of shim kit. I just got it done last week

Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
I didnt actually mean my floor was creaking but I will keep that in mind in case I have that issue!

It was the typewriter/cd player/clicking-ticking sound for a while but its changed to a creaking plasticy kind of noise now..

Im on rock auto and they have "Heater blend door actuator",
MOTORCRAFT Part # YH1871 Mode Door Actuator
w/ Manual or Dual Zone Auto Temp A/C

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days"
It's $23.46, not sure if thats what we need? And if its good for either side? (must be as there is only the one)

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Any updates from any of you who replaced the blend door? Is it good as a long term fix? What's actually broken or worn? Mine sounds like it ticks only as the door has to move around when it adjusts to the set temperature.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Our work trucks do not have the dual temp climate control, but we had a lot of failures of the blend door actuator. 4 trucks with some getting 3 of the actuators before they updated part. It is kind of behind the glove box/airbag area on the left side of the opening. For someone with big hands like me, I kind of find it aggravating to change and usually end up with less meat on my wrists than when I started. That being said, they updated the part and we stopped having failures of it. That and we wore out half of the trucks that had that part in it. 2 of the trucks run 18 hours a day so they wear out quickly. We are down to 2 now.

MY understanding of the actuator motor is it cycles it open to close one time and then back to whatever adjustment you have set. If it cannot get the desired adjustment for whatever reason or if its not sending the reference signal back, it will continue to try to make that adjustment resulting in the constant click. I have not done a lot of research into it, but just something I heard in general conversation about it. With ours, it would get to the point of not having heat or a/c and it would be constantly growling.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
reighnman
New User
If you have dual climate controls there is a drivers side and passenger side actuator/motor. The passenger side is pretty easy to get to, it's located behind the glove box. The driver side... need to take off the entire dash to get to it which is typically an 8 hour job from the dealer.

My driver side is stuck always blows 60 while the other side changes properly. I ordered a new motor last week from rockauto and am going to be taking off the dash this weekend along with a long list of other things to fix (radiator/tstats, oil change, fuel filter change, and fixing this stupid issue)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Take some pics!

I set one side to 60F and the other side to 65F to get one or the other to move around.
My ticking/tapping is isolated to the passenger side.

If I take mine in, I'm assuming they'll only replace the 'bad' one and not both? I'm thinking if they only replace my passenger side, my driver side will go bad the day after my 3/36 warranty expires, and that's coming up pretty quick :-(

Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm not a fan of ATC.
Im Ol School & like the manual units with *****.
I saw too many problems with Auto Temp Control units as an assistant svc manager.
I wish my 2008 didn't have ATC :-(

Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM
weyland426
More Turbo
i dropped $375 for an out of warranty blender replacement only to have the sound come back within a couple weeks. since i am 99% sure they will say the other one needs replacing and it will cost at least that much again, i'm cutting my loses and dealing with the annoyance. damn dealers need a jumbo size KY dispenser at the service counter as a freakin courtesy!!!!!