1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Programmable key

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 04:25 PM
wesayso
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmable key

Is there a way to disable the programmable feature for the ignitioin key? I bought a 1999 F150 with a chip in the key and only got one key. The ford dealership wants $100 for a duplicate!!

Old 03-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Programmable key

Unfortunately I dont think there is any easy or even relatively easy way to do it since all the components of the PATS (passive anti theft) system have to talk to each other.
Here is what the manual says about how the system works.......

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) contains the following components:

theft indicator
encoded ignition key
transceiver module
instrument cluster
powertrain control module (PCM)
standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network
The PATS uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K. and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owners literature.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code, with over 72 million billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's instrument cluster (the instrument cluster is also known as a hybrid electronic cluster [HEC]), before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in the workshop manual that must be carried out if new encoded ignition keys are to be installed.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the instrument cluster.

The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. The instrument cluster communicates with the PCM over the SCP network in order to enable engine operation. The instrument cluster and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The instrument cluster and the PCM share security data (when first installed together) that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The instrument cluster also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either a new instrument cluster or PCM needs to be installed.

All elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

PATS uses a visual theft indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily (for more than three seconds) when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. PATS also "blips" the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

Old 03-19-2003, 06:34 PM
wesayso
Freshman User
Programmable key

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! I better spend the $100 rather than randomly start cutting wires

Old 03-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Programmable key

i would say so

Old 03-19-2003, 08:21 PM
dro man
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programmable key

I better spend the $100 rather than randomly start cutting wires

where are you located ? we only charge $25 for programming plus the key which is also $25 but they can be found cheaper.

Old 03-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Scottee
New User
Programmable key

I have the same problem, only one key.... Our local Ford Dealer in Reno (Jones West Ford) wants to charge me $130 for an additional, programmed key! That's insane!

I need someone to hook me up!!!

Old 03-19-2003, 09:29 PM
03f150man
Elder User
Programmable key

here's a possible action for those who still have 2 keys. If you still have have 2 keys and get a 3rd key burned, the 3rd key will cost about $30. if you wait until one of the 2 original keys is lost, the replacement key will cost about $130.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programmable key

Originally posted by 03f150man
here's a possible action for those who still have 2 keys. If you still have have 2 keys and get a 3rd key burned, the 3rd key will cost about $30. if you wait until one of the 2 original keys is lost, the replacement key will cost about $130.
That's because you can program the new key yourself if you have the 2 original keys. $100-130 for an extra key is insane- shop around, including Lincoln-Mercury dealers- they have the same keys and programmers. If that doesn't work, stop by the next time you're driving through Rochester, NY: I'll program your key for free.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Ganong
New User
Originally Posted by Racerguy
Unfortunately I dont think there is any easy or even relatively easy way to do it since all the components of the PATS (passive anti theft) system have to talk to each other.
Here is what the manual says about how the system works.......

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) contains the following components:

seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.
Racerguy,

I have two questions, first what manual are you using, and second, is there a way I can reset the pats code and milage in an instrument cluster that I am putting into my vehicle to replace the original that has a faulty gauge? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
01Screw4x4
Junior User
last i checked the ford dealer ship where i am only charges about $50 for the key and to program it.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Ganong and welcome to FTE

I'm using a genuine Ford shop manual. I work at a dealer so we use the real deal.
You can't actually reset the PATS code. You have to have the keys programmed to match the instrument cluster. You'll have to get your dealer to do that for you.
No, you can't reset the mileage on the odometer.
What gauge doesn't work? You may be able to disassemble the cluster and replace just the one gauge.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Ganong
New User
The problem is with the water temp gauge. It is not reading the proper temp. I had it checked at a mechanics, and the pcm is reading the proper temp, but the cluster is not. Can I remove the water temp part from the new/used cluster and place it in the cluster that is currently in the car?

Thanks in advance.

David

Old 04-08-2022, 04:37 PM
KatrinaM
New User
$25 for programming!!!

Originally Posted by dro man
I better spend the $100 rather than randomly start cutting wires

where are you located ? we only charge $25 for programming plus the key which is also $25 but they can be found cheaper.
Hey where are u located. That is a great price to have key programmed. Please get in touch with me. Thanks

Old 04-10-2022, 04:02 PM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,039 Likes on 942 Posts
You can get the keys anywhere including online (order OEM Ford Keys)(you do not want garbage)
Then you can have a local locksmith do it (program the keys)(all at the same time) for cheaper than at the dealer

Old 04-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Blondie70
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you could get 2 plain, no chip keys made .
Then put your chipped good key under the trim on the steering column.
Use the 2 new unchipped, plain keys for everything you want to do with the truck, normally. I think this would work just fine.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Programmable key