Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to exit the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 PM
cole.jace
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to exit the exhaust?

I got tired of my sisters pontiac G5 sounding better then my truck. granted that the previous owner put a custom exhaust on it. So I contacted a friend that has done his own exhaust and it sounds awesome plus he is a mechanic and knows his engines, trucks ect. Anyways I know nothing of exhaust so were meeting up next week and he is going to take measurements and were going to buy tips and other needed stuff.

But he asked me were I wanted the Exhaust to exit I believe its going to be. He asked out the back, corners, or the sides. First off i have the dual tanks so were going to look and see what he can do with those in the way however the spare tire holder was cut out so I have room to work in there.

Any suggestions on were the exhaust should exit?

And I believe he is getting rid of the cats since I have no use for em no testing done up here. And I guess it would be true duals. But how much of a gain do you think I would get on a stock 302 with a better flowing exhaust?

Thanks
cole

Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

It might free it up little. Some say it will, some say it won't without some quality long tube headers. Should sound better anyway.

When I do mine, it's coming out in front of the rear tire. I haven't yet decided on a twin tip on one side or single angle cut tips on both sides. Most likely the latter. Mines a supecab though. I just think duel pipes under the bumper looks cheap and cliche. Just my opinion though I suppose. I'd even go for out the sides right behind the rear tires but i don't want to spend the extra cash going around the axle and brake cables.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 PM
cole.jace
Senior User
Yea i have the extended cab aswell. I think if i do it out the sides it will be behind the tires like my stock exhaust is know plus i love the way it looks on our 2500 dodge . Just havent seen our body style with the exhaust exiting out at the corners.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by cole.jace
Yea i have the extended cab aswell. I think if i do it out the sides it will be behind the tires like my stock exhaust is know plus i love the way it looks on our 2500 dodge . Just havent seen our body style with the exhaust exiting out at the corners.
I think I've seen one or two. And only a handful of them coming out in front of the tires. Seems like all I ever see is either two rusty piped dangling under the bumper bouncing up and down or these massive cone looking things like you'd see a cheerleader yelling into lol.

Doing things practically and properly just doesn't seem to be of major concern in my neck of the woods lol.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 AM
timboslice85
Junior User
I would do turn downs right behind the back axle. That way when people hear a bad A ford engine countin a lick they will be lookin around tryinf to find some of those cone tips mentioned above. I love to leave them sittin there starin!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Straight out the rear or at 45s or 90s behind the tires. Tuck them up close though so they don't hang down. I have had turn downs or dumps before and I'll never do that again. It sounds terrible like a dump truck and the interior noise is awful.

Straight through > chambered mufflers.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I'd say one single tailpipe in close to stock location. Run duals, back however far you want, than "Y" it into one muffler, and a 3 inch tailpipe.

I love how my exhaust looks/sound with a setup like thhat.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
True duals will be a bit of a pain on a 4x4, as there isn't much room on the driverside to run a pipe through. On mine, I run a y-pipe to a single muffler, then exit in front of the passenger side rear tire. It's lighter, cheaper, and easier than running all the way to the rear corners or bumper.

Originally Posted by timboslice85
I would do turn downs right behind the back axle. That way when people hear a bad A ford engine countin a lick they will be lookin around tryinf to find some of those cone tips mentioned above. I love to leave them sittin there starin!
If you do that, you just need to be certain that the turndowns direct the exhaust well away from the rear fuel tank. The exhaust that the P.O. installed on my truck failed just before the rear tank shortly after I bought the truck (unbeknownst to me on my way home from work one day), and the heat from the exhaust caused the fuel in the tank to turn to vapor. By the time I got home, the tank had expanded and was under enough pressure that the fuel cap was whistling as it tried to bleed it off. Scary situation!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cole.jace
But how much of a gain do you think I would get on a stock 302 with a better flowing exhaust?

Thanks
cole
You will lose off the line power.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
91chevywt
Senior User
You won't really notice any power difference, but you might think it's faster since it's louder. For a stock truck, run a single pipe back past the rear axle, then a single in muffler to a dual out, with 45 degree angle exit at the corner of each side of the bumper would look the best. No need to go for a "true dual" setup.

I really like the look of the side exit, before the rear axle right at the bottom of the wheel well opening, but that's my preference.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:36 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91chevywt
You won't really notice any power difference, but you might think it's faster since it's louder. For a stock truck, run a single pipe back past the rear axle, then a single in muffler to a dual out, with 45 degree angle exit at the corner of each side of the bumper would look the best. No need to go for a "true dual" setup.

I really like the look of the side exit, before the rear axle right at the bottom of the wheel well opening, but that's my preference.
I completely agree. A stock truck doesn't benefit from true duals enough to warrent the extra cost and weight. A single 2.50'' pipe sounds great and won't hurt your low end power like true duals will.

A big block can use duals. A moddified smallblock could use duals. Not a stock 4.9L V-8.

If I could do mine all over again it would be a single 2.50'' pipe with a glasspack.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
cole.jace
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I completely agree. A stock truck doesn't benefit from true duals enough to warrent the extra cost and weight. A single 2.50'' pipe sounds great and won't hurt your low end power like true duals will.

A big block can use duals. A moddified smallblock could use duals. Not a stock 4.9L V-8.

If I could do mine all over again it would be a single 2.50'' pipe with a glasspack.
I thought a 4.9 wasnt considered a v8 but an inline 6

Besides i have a 5.0l So isnt that a v8?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM
94BigRed
Senior User
I know when I'm done with my 94 F250 with a 460 rebuild, its gonna have headers to a Y into a 3" single tube, flow through muffler, and end right under the gas tank in a turn-down. I've always thought that unless you have an old rat rod or a deafening race-truck, exhaust should be heard, not seen. Big chrome pipes should stay on Harleys where they belong.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
hilljackusmc
Senior User

If ur buddy has a shop that can do what ever u want then go crazy all u need is some 2.50 pipe a bender and a good welder man. there is all sorts of ways to look at ur exhaust you can do it the way everyone else has it or u can get crazy. Personally straight out the back or out the back at a angle i belive its called Texes style looks the best on our trucks. or go cheap and dump it stright down or out infront of the right rear tire. alot of people say that the dump makes it loud in the cab and gets anoying. prolly will want it exiting some were out side of the bed. if you want really loud go stright pipe with a single chamber of some sort flowmaster or cherrybomb. good luck and when u deside post a vid.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
You will lose off the line power.
Do they even have off-line power to begin with? lol

Quick Reply: Where to exit the exhaust?