Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Fuel prices are so high, that it is worth the risk for many folks to try cheaper fuels. Its all about what degree of reliability you want/need and whether or not you have the cash sitting around for a one-time repair bill.

Annual fuel costs for the average diesel driver are now well over $5k a year. If you can cut that cost in half, you can save enough money for an injector job pretty quick. I probably didn't feel this way 5 years ago, but unfortunately "times are changing".
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Lubricity can be fixed with a regular diesel additive, or if you're really worried do the TWC-3 2-stroke oil trick. It appears from the wiki article that JP-8 has a lower cetane number, so you might need a cetane enhancer as well.

Beyond that, it appears it's working well in military vehicles, and standard vehicles used by the military.

I have to say if I could get 1/2 my fuel for free, I'd have to give it some serious thought.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Junior User

LKCKR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mich6.0 I don't work at either Langley or Kirtland I work at HIll AFB doing Depot on the 22's but i appreciate all the feedback I'm getting on this subject. Alot of good info from you guys.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Elder User

kidoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about the red stuff, home heating fuel, anybody tried it in the 6.0, cheaper than diesel.
F350 Lariat, 6.0, crew cab diesel, 8 foot box, 2006, SRW, 4x4, 2" front puck, scan gauge II, Rotella ELC, Coolant filter, Adjustable Ranchos, Rear adjustable Air lift, Rear sway bar, on order blue spring, stc.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Junior User

LKCKR is starting off with a positive reputation.
The red stuff is for off road use only, ie: construction, farming and the like. it also dyes your complete fuel system permanently red and if caught using it without the right authorization you could and probably will be facing some pretty stiff fines because the fuel is non taxed.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
New User

xxgieselmanxx is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a 7.3 i just put about 15 gallons in my truck right now had about 12 gallons of regular diesel in their and i put a half gallon of mystery oil in their also. just did it today so far so good. will chime in in a couple days to tell ya if its any good
Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Depot on the 22s
Sweet! ++ for future contracting gigs.

If you want you could probably find all the fuel info you want with some T.O. research at Fuel Shop.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
New User

xxgieselmanxx is starting off with a positive reputation.
i got about 100 miles on a diesek jp-8 and additive mix right now, deff alot quiter and ived noticed a lose in power but shes running like a champ!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior User

Mich6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
JP-8 AND JET-A IS THE SAME NOT JET-A AND JP-8 ,JP-8 HAS A HIGHER FLASH PIONT NOT LOWER AND THATS REASON THEY WENT WITH JP-8 AND NOW ALL BRANCHES USE IT SO TO REDUCE THE # OF FUELS. BY THE WAY RETIRED FLYER ON C-130'S AND 135A'S IN MY EARLIER YEARS WHEN THE ONLY BIRD TO USE JP-8 WAS THE SR71 BLACKBIRD BECAUSE OF THE FLASH PIONT DUE TO LEAKAGE WHEN CERAMIC PLATES WERE COLD ALL UNCLASSIFIED AND PUBLIC KNOWLEGDE FOR YEARS
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior User

The Woodhauler has a good reputation on FTE.The Woodhauler has a good reputation on FTE.
The Woodhauler The Woodhauler The Woodhauler
I'll chime in here, I was a maintenance tech in the service after Grenada when the army decided to go to JP-8. The reason they did was so fuel for the in ital stages of an operation could be pulled from the transport planes until those assets could be either put in place or captured. It was a compromise that worked out so the automotive command looked at it and decided that the hotter fuel didn't really effect fuel system and power plant longevity that badly and logistically having one fuel in the supply system made since. That being said the engines ran slightly hotter and fuel systems tolerated it. We experienced some damage to the combustion chaimbers and injector ports in cylinder heads on the GM 6.2s and Multifuel engines but nothing fatal. Would I use it in my truck? No, only in a situation where pump diesel is not available. Would I use it in my tractor? probably.
Hope this helps fellas and good luck.
My name's Mike, and I'm a young man trapped in an old body. 2007 F 350 4X4 6.0 Automatic. 4:11 Axles GV overdrive.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Elder User

dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Duke Averill
has anyone ever put serious miles on their truck using jet fuel? I would think the very tempermental injectors would start griping at you. I ran it through my truck a couple times my best friend is an fbo and filled my tank a few times using their sump left overs but after learning how picky the injectors are I will not put another drop of it in my motor. Also I cant stand the smell of the exhaust its terrible. Also is it leagle to run that in your truck? I know you cant run off road diesel. I actually have had my tanks dipped at work before and the stater was saying the fine is like $1000/gal of off road diesel.
WTB=Powermax turbo, sct 8900 touch,4:56 gears, Blue fuel spring,fuel guage, winch, fender flares,
Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior User

86f350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Throw some highly filtered used motor oil in the tank with offroad fuel and you're good to go. If you get dipped, itll come up black so no worries there. Never heard of ANYONE getting dipped where im from and I was a reserve officer for 5 years LOL

Jason... US Nat'l Guard unit 638th ASB
'85 F250 4x4, 6.9l, T19 4 spd.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
I love the smell of jet fuel, though I preferred JP-4.

Smells like sorties....mmmmm......sorties.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Elder User

dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Duke Averill
Yep we use to drive 26k work trucks so we were required in wa state to stop at all open weigh stations unless you were bypassed. So I stopped at one that just had an open sign made of steel magnet. There was no bypass sign its on one of our redneck backroads that nobody travels. I know ironic place for a weigh station maybe they were hoping for future business lol. Anyway I stopped in there and he checked my papers at my window without getting out of the truck. Dident weigh me and just said his sole purpose of the day was dipping tanks. I assume they got a tip maybe that somebody was running it.
WTB=Powermax turbo, sct 8900 touch,4:56 gears, Blue fuel spring,fuel guage, winch, fender flares,
Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Senior User

Mich6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just looking for dyed fuel probally
Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, 60, burning, buy, cost, f250, fuel, gallon, jet, jp8, maximum, military, powerstroke, reuse, temperature