1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Parking Brake Backing Plate Installation - WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
No way, the backing plates don't rotate?!?!

You still end up with grease all over everything....
I was thinking of something else, yes they do rotate. He used very thick grease Never drove on the highway. All city driving stop and go traffic for work.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM
shifterone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the write up and pics...took me a while to find it .....I was lost till I did .THANK YOU THANK YOU

Old 06-21-2015, 04:11 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I was thinking of something else, yes they do rotate. He used very thick grease Never drove on the highway. All city driving stop and go traffic for work.
The backing plates don't rotate, not with 4 big studs clamping them between chunks of iron.

Putting grease on the backing plates is a bad idea. The backing plates are right up against the brake rotor. Grease getting on brake rotors and pads is no bueno. Not to mention all the dirt, dust and other road crud the grease will attract.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From my previous post... Why not cover the exterior side of the anchor pins with grease?

3. Put a dollop of grease on the outside of the backer pins (before you put the caliper back on). Actually fill in the depression with grease. This is handy for trucks that don't exhibit the strange engineering phenomena of premature backer plate rot. Just did brakes on the 11. Plates are clean(checked before purchase it... rear wheel wells too). Applied liberal dollop of grease to both pins on both exterior(edit) sides. Should keep the rot rats at bay for a while.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
lebeter
New User
Thanks for the write-up I used this in conjunction with a few other forum posts and a youtube video. I ran into more problems than were documented in many of these posts. First when I went to pull the hub off it just pulled out by hand whereas most people used jaw pullers. I later realized that the hub/axle housing seal basically separated so I had one half still buried in the hub and the other half stuck on the axle. The break was so clean I wasn't sure if the seal was part of the hub so it took me awhile to figure out where I could use a flathead and hammer the seal out from the sides until I was able to pry it off. I had to replace both of my dust shields as well because of rust and a previous mechanic doing a terrible patch where one of the retaining clip holes was rusted out.

Tips: Use a block of wood and a small steel headed mallet to smack the disc free from the hub. Takes a few good blows.

Replace the rotted springs and the retaining clips, I was able to get a small kit from NAPA For ~$20 It's worth it.

The seals I purchased from Ford and were revised from what was on there previously. Replace the Timken bearings. Think it was ~100 for both inner and outer sets but I had to specify I wanted the Timken bearings at NAPA. It's where the local dealer was getting them as well. My cones looked good so I just did the inner and outer bearings and left the pressed cones in.

Lastly its very important to get the spring orientations correct when putting them all back on the shoes. The picture shown in this post has them WRONG with one spring hook below and the other above the rear Spring hooks They should both be above and the top Spring should sit very close to the steel jaw actuated by the cable. Otherwise that top outer spring WILL RUB on hub housing and they will squeak when driving. You will wonder if its a bad bearing or something. Worst part is its not the easiest getting back in there without pulling the hub again. I had this happen to me but was able to use a combination of a pik with a 90 degree turn and a 45 degree needle nose plier I used to grab the shaft of the pik to give me some leverage. I also used another small tool to help push the spring back into the hole once I had it pulled far enough. Once I had it free I pushed the hooks from the inner spring thats hidden behind the shoes down and then oriented the outer hook back on one side on top. Then used the pik/plier combination along with a drum brake adjusting spoon to push it back on with the limited access. I looked at a brake spring plier and they were too bulky to get into that crevice. Take your time with this part and reference other how-to's on how it should look before you have to go through what I did.

This is the limited gap you have to adjust after without removing hub again.

Wrong

Correct

Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The seals come apart like that quite often...One guy was trying as hard as he could to get the assembly back on but half the seal was on there..we told him he found it. Done.
Thanks for all the other info..

Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Parking Brake Backing Plate Installation - WITH PICTURES

Originally Posted by lebeter
Thanks for the write-up I used this in conjunction with a few other forum posts and a youtube video. I ran into more problems than were documented in many of these posts. First when I went to pull the hub off it just pulled out by hand whereas most people used jaw pullers. I later realized that the hub/axle housing seal basically separated so I had one half still buried in the hub and the other half stuck on the axle. The break was so clean I wasn't sure if the seal was part of the hub so it took me awhile to figure out where I could use a flathead and hammer the seal out from the sides until I was able to pry it off. I had to replace both of my dust shields as well because of rust and a previous mechanic doing a terrible patch where one of the retaining clip holes was rusted out.

Tips: Use a block of wood and a small steel headed mallet to smack the disc free from the hub. Takes a few good blows.

Replace the rotted springs and the retaining clips, I was able to get a small kit from NAPA For ~$20 It's worth it.

The seals I purchased from Ford and were revised from what was on there previously. Replace the Timken bearings. Think it was ~100 for both inner and outer sets but I had to specify I wanted the Timken bearings at NAPA. It's where the local dealer was getting them as well. My cones looked good so I just did the inner and outer bearings and left the pressed cones in.
If the bearings need to be replaced you should always replace the race with the bearing.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 PM
dexterous
New User
Guys,

The shields are rusted pretty bad on my 99, do they serve a critical function or can I just ignore them?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
They make the parking brake work

Old 09-19-2015, 05:39 PM
dexterous
New User
Sorry for being dumb but could you please clarify that for me? These things sure look like dust shields and not much more:

Old 09-19-2015, 05:46 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Your parking brake shoes are attached to the backing plates. That is usually where they start rusting and then pull out of

Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 PM
dexterous
New User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Your parking brake shoes are attached to the backing plates. That is usually where they start rusting and then pull out of
First, thanks for the info. Second, thats a terrible design! I just replaced all the parking brake cables and lubed the moving parts of the shoes today. The parking brake now works for the first time since since i got the truck three years ago.

How will i know when i have to replace the shields?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dexterous
First, thanks for the info. Second, thats a terrible design! I just replaced all the parking brake cables and lubed the moving parts of the shoes today. The parking brake now works for the first time since since i got the truck three years ago.

How will i know when i have to replace the shields?
When they look like this. If you notice the big rust hole...That is where a brake pin is supposed to go. In my case it sounded like the back wheel was going to fall off from the parking shoes flopping around.

Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 10:08 AM
dexterous
New User
Do you have to pull the hub off to replace the backing plate?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dexterous
Do you have to pull the hub off to replace the backing plate?
Yes you do. It is not hard at all.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Backing Plate Installation - WITH PICTURES