1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Suggestions for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
slowjack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for gauges?

You guys should be able to help with this, easy- now that I'm retired and have some time, I want to upgrade my '95 F350 with gauges on the windshield post. My 7.3L is stock and I frequently throw a heavy slide-in camper in the back.

I was thinking EGT gauge and Transmission Temp gauge and leaning toward an Oil Pressure gauge for my third. Anyone feel a Boost gauge would suit me better as my third gauge? The 7.3 is stock and I'm not thinking about adding any performance chips. The only thing else I'd like to add is a better air filter and just maybe a jake brake.

Jack

Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely on the EGT gauge and Trans temps. Those are very important as they are costly fixes if they get too hot. Being completely stock, you shouldn't have an issue with temps but it never hurts to be proactive. For a third gauge, if you aren't interested in boost, then you could do oil pressure or fuel pressure or oil temps. Whatever you want. If it were me, I would put a Scan Gauge in the third spot. It not only can act as a gauge, but it is also a code reader and a good all around diagnostic tool.

Do you still have the factory downpipe? It would be a good idea to let your truck breathe with a better air filter. Many of us use a 6637 air filter or Tymar set up. Also doing an exhaust and getting rid of the factory downpipe will also help lower egts plus it will sound nice.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Hi Jack, and welcome to FTE! A boost gauge can be used to help diagnose low power issues that may arise in the future from leaky up pipes, bad MAP sensor, turbo issues, etc.. The oil pressure gauge may be good, although most run Pyro (EGT) trans and boost. Really comes down to what you'd like to monitor.

Since you are pulling a camper, you really want to open up that intake. Most run a variant of the NAPA 6637 filter. In the exhaust, the downpipe and catalytic converter are the most restrictive parts. Most replace the downpipe for something with less restriction and gut or remove the cat entirely.

Just a heads up, unless there is some crazy new thing on the market, the "Jake" brake on our trucks is an exhaust brake. They come from the factory with an exhaust back pressure valve from the factory that can be modified to work as an exhaust brake for cheap with the combination of a torque converter lock up switch to allow the stopping effort to be transferred through the drivetrain

Good luck, and again welcome to FTE!