6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Strange noise after shutdown.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
jermort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, the dealer swapped the part and I was on my way.

I would think that this should be covered by the powertrain warranty. The parts guy can look up the part, but as long as you have to make a trip to the dealer, let them do the deed. To me it looks like a PITA to remove all the stuff on the top left of the motor in order to expose the little critter. I think the thing is a plug n play, but not sure. My dealer did not show me the part, think it was sent back to Ford for testing.

jammer

Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting we tried the trick as mentioned before, tap the brake and it quits.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
jermort
Senior User
Yeah, the vacuum tricks only stop the noise until the next time the motor is run.

Good verification that the wastegate solenoid is failing.

jammer

Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM
scarlett2012
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
I've found this forum after trying to figure out the problem with our 2011 F-350 making the same exact noise as has been described in this thread. It sounds the same, it happens upon turning off the engine, it can be stopped immediately when brakes are applied.
In short, it seems to be the same exact problem.
Have had the truck to the service department a total of 5 times !!!! for this problem now. They have been less then helpful, had an attitude, didn't appreciate US doing the research (after they didn't do it) tried to tell us there was no problem, etc etc.
To make a long story short, they finally, grudgingly said they would replace the Solenoid.
We got the truck back and yup, making the same exact sound as always. On our ticket it says they replaced " BC3Z-6F089-A Actuator ASY "
I cannot figure out if the Solenoid is part of the actuator assembly ? It makes me wonder if they replaced the wrong part or if they simply didn't do what they said or what in the world else could be wrong with our truck ???
We purchased the vehicle at the same location that we are taking it in for service and this has been a nightmare. I will never again deal with those people after this issue is resolved.
Many thanks in advance for any help !!!
Scarlett

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlett2012
Hi,
I've found this forum after trying to figure out the problem with our 2011 F-350 making the same exact noise as has been described in this thread. It sounds the same, it happens upon turning off the engine, it can be stopped immediately when brakes are applied.
In short, it seems to be the same exact problem.
Have had the truck to the service department a total of 5 times !!!! for this problem now. They have been less then helpful, had an attitude, didn't appreciate US doing the research (after they didn't do it) tried to tell us there was no problem, etc etc.
To make a long story short, they finally, grudgingly said they would replace the Solenoid.
We got the truck back and yup, making the same exact sound as always. On our ticket it says they replaced " BC3Z-6F089-A Actuator ASY "
I cannot figure out if the Solenoid is part of the actuator assembly ? It makes me wonder if they replaced the wrong part or if they simply didn't do what they said or what in the world else could be wrong with our truck ???
We purchased the vehicle at the same location that we are taking it in for service and this has been a nightmare. I will never again deal with those people after this issue is resolved.
Many thanks in advance for any help !!!
Scarlett
YIKES!

I am pretty sure they replaced the wrong part. 6F089 is the TURBO actuator. They need to change the waste gate control valve P/N 9E882. See attached pdf.

Good luck

Attached Images
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
scarlett2012
New User
Lovely..
I'm not surprised, though. Throughout this entire headache they have been less then helpful. It has been a long and painful process dealing with them and their attitude.
I just talked to Ford and explained what is going on and how I really prefer NOT to go back to that particular dealership. All the other Ford dealerships are about 30 minutes away, though, so she told me I could go to the local Lincoln dealership instead. For a second opinion...
So the story goes on

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by scarlett2012
Lovely..
I'm not surprised, though. Throughout this entire headache they have been less then helpful. It has been a long and painful process dealing with them and their attitude.
I just talked to Ford and explained what is going on and how I really prefer NOT to go back to that particular dealership. All the other Ford dealerships are about 30 minutes away, though, so she told me I could go to the local Lincoln dealership instead. For a second opinion...
So the story goes on
If it's any consolation, they replace at $250.00 part instead of a $40.00 part?!?!?!?!?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
My truck has done this since day 1 also, definitely think I'll have this fixed. My brothers did also (we bought the same trucks at the same time), he had his waste gate control valve fixed a while back.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
scarlett2012
New User
Yes, that is pretty ridiculous, isn't it ?

I have no problem with them not being able to figure it out right away or anything of that sort. The problem is with their attitude and how we got the feeling they made us "pay" for daring to expect them to stay on this till its fixed.

2 month ago I took it in, let the service manager and one mechanic listen to the noise. First they said its "normal", then they said they would do some research and call us back. Never happened.

2 weeks ago on a Friday we called for an appointment. We were told to bring it in following Monday. When I dropped it off I informed them of my research (part of it being this thread) and how other people had the same problem and what fixed it for them. The guy had an attitude of "what do you know, lady...".

Late that afternoon they call and say they had no time to check the truck and if they can keep it for 2 more days. I said, no, I have company visiting and we need 2 vehicles since my husband uses one for work. So we picked it up and had to bring it back that Wednesday.

Wednesday comes around and we drop it off again. I ask them if they checked the solenoid. They seemed bothered that I dared to tell them what to do (I asked nicely). I get a call around lunch telling me they can't hear any noises. I asked them if they turned it off and listened . No, they did not... apparently they never bothered to truly listen when we explained the problem and possible solution. He calls me back again and says, no noise. He tells me in a very belittleling voice "I don't know what to tell you, Honey"...
My husband goes over there and gets the service manager to drive it and listen, and of course he hears the noise. So they keep it for the rest of the day. At the end of that day they tell us to pick it up and they ordered a part. I ask him, what part ? He said the Wastegate Solenoid. When I picked up the truck the guy wouldn't look at me and was pretty rude. Not even a "good bye". He tells me they will call when the part comes in.

Fast forward to next Tuesday, still no call, so my husband calls that morning. He is told the part is not in. That same day there is a postcard in the mail, dated from 4 days ago, saying our part is in and to schedule an appointment...

So yet another Wednesday we bring the truck in. Get a call late afternoon saying they need to keep the truck overnight. They didn't get done in time.
Next day we pick it up around lunchtime, drive it, and yes...the noise is still there !!

My husband had to get to work late, leave early, take extended lunch hours several times throughout all this, it has been a huge hassle. The worst is their attitude, though, like I've said.

Kudos to anyone that actually read through this long and tiring replay of what we went through with this issue so far.

So this afternoon I will take it to the other dealer and will have to start over again, I have to admit, I dread it.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Don't start over, tell them to replace the WG solenoid P/N 9E882!!!!
The noise will quit, many have had this issue.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM
scarlett2012
New User
Took the truck to the other dealership and was treated far better right of the bat.
They are aware of the issues with the noise and confirmed that its a Wastegate Solenoid issue. They also confirmed that the part the other dealership replaced has nothing to do with the noise. Strange thing is that it says on the ticket they were to replace the Wastegate Solenoid per hotline, but they decided to get the Actuator Asy instead.
Oh well, got another appointment on Monday and we'll see how that goes...

Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Chilly-in-Vermont
New User
While on a trip to Texas this past spring we had the same problem. It even stopped after tapping the brake. We took it into a dealer in Amarillo, he listened to it and said it was the vacuum solenoid that controlled the EGR valve. He had it FEDEXed in and it was a 20 min swap and we were on our way. Is this really the same or does any solenoid failure in the vacuum system sound the same.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM
fatboydiesel
Senior User
I took my truck in for this noise.... At 35800 miles...Was told its normal. Which I didn't think it was as the noise only started a few months ago. Now I am out of my bumper to bumper warranty. Wondering now if this will be covered. I going to bring it back in and see what happens... May end up changing it myself

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
T for Texas
New User
Originally Posted by fatboydiesel
May end up changing it myself
Don't you dare. You reported it timely under the warranty. Just because they're too... insert your own appropriate, well-earned insult here... to know what the issue is, it's not your fault they didn't fix it. Your 35,800 mile visit was documented (at least it should have been). Tell 'em you presented the truck with a valid issue prior to warranty expiration, and, for whatever reason, they chose not to repair. Now that you know what needs repairing, tell 'em what it is, and make them fix it.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatboydiesel
I took my truck in for this noise.... At 35800 miles...Was told its normal. Which I didn't think it was as the noise only started a few months ago. Now I am out of my bumper to bumper warranty. Wondering now if this will be covered. I going to bring it back in and see what happens... May end up changing it myself
Your bumper to bumper may be out but this should be a power train warranteed item which is 60k on the powerstroke.

Quick Reply: Strange noise after shutdown.