1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Turn Signals wont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Myfirstnewtruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Turn Signals wont work

I noticed yesterday morning that my turn signals were not working on my 2000 F150 4.6L 4X4 XL truck and I need help Diagnosing what the cause is. The hazards, windshield wipers and my brights still work so I was not sure if it was just the switch. I have done the following and I am hoping that someone can help point me into the right direction.

* I went and got a new turn signal flasher at the parts store last night but when I went to put it in under the fuse box under the hood it was to big to fit into the holes. By this time the dealer was closed and I couldnt go and get a new one from them. (i wasnt sure if both needed to be replaced at the same time).
* Since there are two under the hood i just swapped the positions and still nothing happened everything worked accept my turn signals still worked. (by swapping I mean I took the one that was in fuse location 301 and put that one into 304 and 304 into 301.)
* I went to my owners manual and checked every fuse to make sure that anything related to my turn signals and flashers etc were not blown and they werent.

That is were I am at. Any help would be awesome. I dont think its the switch but is that a comon thing to go out?

Thank you

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The multi-function switch (MFS) is a pretty common failure item. I think most of the time the symptoms show up in the wiper delay. I have not read about a specific case where just the turn signals wouldn't work. Considering the troubleshooting you've already done, I'd say the there's a pretty good chance that the MFS is bad.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Myfirstnewtruck
Senior User
Thank you for the update Joe. After I got done posting this I googled the problem and I found an old thread that said that the wires inside by the steering column are pretty skimpy on length and if the steering wheel is tilted to far down then they may stretch enough to make the signals not work. It sounded crazy to me but I let someone borrow my truck this last weekend and I was sure they tilted the wheel down so I went and did that and they worked. Thanks again for replying to my thread I hope my exPerisnce can help someone else out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
compwrench
New User
Question Turn Signals In-Op

Originally Posted by Myfirstnewtruck
Thank you for the update Joe. After I got done posting this I googled the problem and I found an old thread that said that the wires inside by the steering column are pretty skimpy on length and if the steering wheel is tilted to far down then they may stretch enough to make the signals not work. It sounded crazy to me but I let someone borrow my truck this last weekend and I was sure they tilted the wheel down so I went and did that and they worked. Thanks again for replying to my thread I hope my exPerisnce can help someone else out.
Hello, It sounds like I have the same problem as you. My turn signals started out blinking a few times then stop. Now they are mostly inoperative. My hazards work and the way I understand it they use the same flasher. I found the relay and the flasher, when I move the lever either way I can feel the relay click once. This leads me to believe the switch is working so I was thinking a ground wire might be the problem. If possible could you be a bit more specific about the wire? I found that old thread as well but it was not very specific either. Thanks a bunch, Rob.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
David9842
New User
I am having the same problem my hazards work find on the tail lights and the blinkers only turn on but dont blink and the front lights dont work at all only the head lights work right any help

Old 12-09-2023, 04:01 PM
jaxcoron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by compwrench
Hello, It sounds like I have the same problem as you. My turn signals started out blinking a few times then stop. Now they are mostly inoperative. My hazards work and the way I understand it they use the same flasher. I found the relay and the flasher, when I move the lever either way I can feel the relay click once. This leads me to believe the switch is working so I was thinking a ground wire might be the problem. If possible could you be a bit more specific about the wire? I found that old thread as well but it was not very specific either. Thanks a bunch, Rob.
did you ever figure it out? I’m currently stuck with a 2003 f350 and the hazards work aswell as everything except the blinkers, the hazards will run and then when I turn them off they blink one or 2 extra times after that

Old 12-09-2023, 05:35 PM
Jon Freeman
Tuned
Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxcoron
did you ever figure it out? I’m currently stuck with a 2003 f350 and the hazards work aswell as everything except the blinkers, the hazards will run and then when I turn them off they blink one or 2 extra times after that
Likely the multifunction switch or the relays. Lots of videos on how to replace.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:03 PM
jaxcoron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jon Freeman
Likely the multifunction switch or the relays. Lots of videos on how to replace.
see I already put in a new mfs so I guess I’ll try the relay

Old 12-13-2023, 03:01 PM
horsappl
4wd Low
Another item to check is the wires on the multifunction switch connector. They can pull out and not make contact. My fix was disconnect the connector, push the wire in so the pin is at the face of the connector, then squirt hot glue in the backside of the plug to secure the wire.