1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'05 Ranger brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
awright48
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '05 Ranger brakes

So, I'm due for new brakes like 2 months ago and thinking about doing them myself. I've done front brake pads only on a '98 ranger but this will be the first time for doing the rotors as well. With that said, I have motorcraft parts on now; prior to that, I had Merchants tire/NSB do my brakes and put their brakes on. Apparently my truck "rejected" those and had to go get them replaced and now have Motorcraft brakes/rotors again. I live in Northern Virginia where it takes 1.5 hrs to go 20 miles. hard on brakes all the time. I was wondering if any one has any takes on aftermarket brakes and rotors. Maybe spending a bit more will help them last a little longer or being that i had an issue prior where the brakes that Merchants put on weren't correct may come back and bite me in the a$$ again. Could it have been that merchants was trying to screw me and put not as new brakes on and not new ones? I've never heard of something like that before. Also I had the brakes done about 1.5 years ago. Is that a timely fashion for brakes and rotors to go bad? I know this is a lot to read but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Andrew

Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by awright48
So, I'm due for new brakes like 2 months ago and thinking about doing them myself. I've done front brake pads only on a '98 ranger but this will be the first time for doing the rotors as well. With that said, I have motorcraft parts on now; prior to that, I had Merchants tire/NSB do my brakes and put their brakes on. Apparently my truck "rejected" those and had to go get them replaced and now have Motorcraft brakes/rotors again. I live in Northern Virginia where it takes 1.5 hrs to go 20 miles. hard on brakes all the time. I was wondering if any one has any takes on aftermarket brakes and rotors. Maybe spending a bit more will help them last a little longer or being that i had an issue prior where the brakes that Merchants put on weren't correct may come back and bite me in the a$$ again. Could it have been that merchants was trying to screw me and put not as new brakes on and not new ones? I've never heard of something like that before. Also I had the brakes done about 1.5 years ago. Is that a timely fashion for brakes and rotors to go bad? I know this is a lot to read but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Andrew
how many miles have you put on the truck since last brake job.........are the pads worn down to the rivets? are the rotors scored? do you have 2wd or 4wd?. does the car vibrate when you are braking?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
awright48
Junior User
I have 85k now had brakes serviced around 65k. Pads are not down to rivets yet very close. sometimes my brakes feel like there is nothing but air there. ill have to slam them on and feel like my brakes arent there. a few times, my pad was all the way to the floor with very little pressure behind it and stopped very very slowly a very uncomfortable slow. When i do a normal slow to stop at a light or stop sign, i notice the truck surging like they are warped. i.e.: steady pressure on the brakes i would feel them catch then release then catch (Repeat till i stop) does that make sense. I have noticed a vibration while turning or having to stop not suddenly but quicker than a normal slow...i hope all that makes sense?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
awright48
Junior User
oh 2wd and the rotors are scored in places...my brother who is a bmw tech said he would fail me for my brakes

Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
To replace the rotors you have to remove spindle nut. Also need to replace and repack wheel bearings and retorque spindle nut. If rotors aren't too bad they might be able to be turned if you have a decent machine shop nearby. When you replace parts be sure to take old to size up with new. Ford uses different sizes in same app. NAPA is generally good quality.Be sure to lube caliper glides when doing the work as binding calipers wear pads quick. Should probably check rear brakes at same time. Here is link on rotor removal for general info.

| Repair Guides | Front Disc Brakes | Brake Disc (rotor) | AutoZone.com

Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
awright48
Junior User
ah crap....I dont know how to repack and retorque...i guess they dont just slip out like some do? or do all vehicles require that and not ever done. I helped my friend with his FJ and we just popped the old ones on and new ones went right on with out hiccup and pads were a piece of cake too...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Repacking bearings isn't hard and all you need is a torque wrench to retorque spindle nut. If you buy from napa with a machine shop they could probably install the new bearings in rotor and repack it so all you would need to do is reinstall and retorque nut.Those brakes sound quite dangerous from your description.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
awright48
Junior User
I posted an update on a new thread...check it out!