1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Factory 2007 F-350 stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Bigdrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Factory 2007 F-350 stereo...

I'm definitely going to upgrade my factory "premium stereo" to a new state of the art, DVD NAV Rear Cam Bluetooth 7" system. My truck is in perfect shape, King Ranch loaded dually...this was just not an option in 2007.
Any suggestions on a particular Brand and/or model system that will fit this dash?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Hemlock10
Freshman User
I'm days away from doing the same to my 2006 F350 Lariat. I went with that iGo unit on ebay (sells under the name Trustigo).

I don't know enough about this to tell you if it's great or not. The selling points for me were factory look, factory fit, generally plug-n-play and price was reasonable compared to alot out there. Plus the reviews that exist show that the seller is a good guy to work with (100% rating on ebay).

I'll be watching this thread closely to see what else comes recommended.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
hotnanas
Senior User
basically there are going to be the pioneer avic and the kenwoods.

i have the kenwood because of the garmin navigation that comes with it. it installed easily in my 06. it might have taken me 45 minutes. I got rid of my PIE adapter because I had just way too many items that I wanted to input in, which caused a huge cluster of wires that were dangling across my dash.

i suggest going into an electronics superstore and finding one that you like.

SUGGESTION: get an alarm. my first dvd player was yanked out. my second one has lasted a lot longer, which i owe to the alarm. I also bought a dummy face plate that covers it and makes it seem undesirable.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Bigdrew
New User
Houston Car Stereo is going to install:
Kenwood 7180 DVD Nav Rev Cam Ipod Bluetooth
Kenwood Flat 12" Sub
Hertz Circle frt speakers / Hertz 5x7 rear speakers
XD - 700-5 Amp

$2500.00

Cheaper and way better than the factory system in my Navigator. Should have gone this route and saved $$$ on the Gator's system, with way better sound.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
I would also opt for the Kenwood. Quality unit and Garmin Nav. Can't go wrong there.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
hotnanas
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdrew
Houston Car Stereo is going to install:
Kenwood 7180 DVD Nav Rev Cam Ipod Bluetooth
Kenwood Flat 12" Sub
Hertz Circle frt speakers / Hertz 5x7 rear speakers
XD - 700-5 Amp

$2500.00

Cheaper and way better than the factory system in my Navigator. Should have gone this route and saved $$$ on the Gator's system, with way better sound.
this in a crew cab? i'm looking for a sub box for mine. will you post some pics after completion?

being that you are in Houston also, you better get an alarm.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Bigdrew
New User
ALarm

I have had a serious alarm from day one. I have a remote start with kill switch, windows and doors monitored, with a motion sensor.My truck can be started from 300 yards away, and the remote will tell you if anyone is messing with the truck.If it is running and someone breaks in, it sounds the alarm, hooked up and sounding my train horns installed on my truck.if you attempt to put the truck in gear, it immediately kills the engine.
Best $800.00 I ever spent.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was the first thing I did when I got my '06....get a Crimguard remote start and alarm with an impact sensor installed. The rest can wait.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
mikeyt53
New User
Originally Posted by Hemlock10
I'm days away from doing the same to my 2006 F350 Lariat. I went with that iGo unit on ebay (sells under the name Trustigo).

I don't know enough about this to tell you if it's great or not. The selling points for me were factory look, factory fit, generally plug-n-play and price was reasonable compared to alot out there. Plus the reviews that exist show that the seller is a good guy to work with (100% rating on ebay).

So now that you have had the unit for a month or so, what are your thoughts on it?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Hemlock10
Freshman User
Sorry about the lack of feedback. I thought this was too far in the past to still be relevant.

My review is that it is a very functional system. It has several additional inputs and outputs that weren’t there factory like “pre-amp, sub-woofer, audio/video inputs and outputs”.

Starting with the Navigation; I’m very pleased with the speed and function of the system. It does seem to default to metric on everything, but a couple minutes of looking through the setup screens will get it “Americanized”. It has some interesting features like Overspeed Warning and Speed Camera Warning. I’m sure that there are other systems that have this functionality, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It plays DVDs, it has the ability to control iPods from the touch screen, you can play music and movies from files on a USB drive (it has 3 USB ports – 2 on the back and 1 on the face).

Installation was pretty straight forward with a decent mounting kit. I didn’t have a decent mounting kit, which was my fault, so I had to do some modifications to the kit I got for the screw holes to match up with the radio’s screw holes. As far as the wiring, the harness plugs right into the factory plug. I had to do nothing other than make a couple new connections for my add-ons.

I added the backup camera, which was pretty easy. It has an RCA connector for camera to plug into. Probably the hardest part of the whole project (which really wasn’t that hard) was to locate the wire that gives +12v when you put it in reverse and connect that to the radio’s wire labeled “reverse 12+”. Now when I put it in reverse the screen switches automatically to the backup camera view. The other option is to wire it to what is called “front camera” and then you can push a button on the radio’s face to get the image on screen. Some people prefer the second option because they can utilize the camera when not in reverse. I don’t have much of a use for that, so I went with the first option.

I would say it is a well made, good looking unit that has all the functionality, and more, than I need for my truck with a factory look. The documentation is sparse to non-existent, so you will have to rely on your own knowledge of radio installation coupled with the good amount of step-by-step write-ups that I’ve seen online. It really is a simple install because of the harness they provide; someone with moderate to medium skill could pull off this install in less than 4 hours without trying too hard.

Sorry if that was too longwinded. I'm sure that I have left out plenty that I could say, but since I'm long already I'll just wait for questions.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
mikeyt53
New User
Thanks for your thoughts. Anything about it that you dont like? I'm asking because one of the other members (Scrillanation) on this site absolutely rips the unit calling it Chinese garbage in this thread. His seems to be the only review i've read so far that makes these claims though.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Hemlock10
Freshman User
Yes, it is Chinese. Yes, you can tell. However, once it was completely installed and working I haven't thought of it since.

The things I don't love:

There is a file manager that I'm not a big fan of and when you're watching a DVD and a quiet part comes on, you can hear the DVD spinning. That surprised me quite a bit.

The controls for the DVD player aren't as intuitive as you might like. It appears that they really want you to use the provided remote control instead of screen controls. Having said that, it is not that often that you use those controls once the movie starts.

The last complaint that I completely forgot about until this moment is that the redundant steering wheel volume controls aren't working. Apparently the resistance values of those two buttons are too close together on my model year and they are working to resolve it through a code upgrade. The other buttons work just fine. To be clear, the Volume buttons technically work; it just can't tell the difference between up and down. No resolution yet, but they tell me they are working on it.

All of that being said, I compare the features vs. the price vs. the very minor problems that I listed and I am still a fan. Are there better units? Sure. Are there cheaper units? Of course. But like I said, when you compare all of the features that you want and the price you are willing to spend for them, it just made sense for me.

I'm not telling anyone they should go out and get this unit on my recommendation, but I would definitely not tell anyone to stay away from it, or that it's garbage. From all accounts, including my own so far, the customer service is pretty good. So, you can at least feel good that if you hated it that you can return it; or if it's broken, they will fix it.

If you want to see more opinions, I got everything I needed from the 2007+ Expedition forum on this site. Search Trustigo and you should see three pages of everything from installation information to performance reviews.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Qwatali Hunter
Freshman User
Kenwood all the way! I have one in my 03 SD and it is great. One piece of advice. No matter how good your head unit is, it will only sound as good as the speakers it runs through. So be sure and upgrade the speakers!!!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
btm991
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdrew
I have had a serious alarm from day one. I have a remote start with kill switch, windows and doors monitored, with a motion sensor.My truck can be started from 300 yards away, and the remote will tell you if anyone is messing with the truck.If it is running and someone breaks in, it sounds the alarm, hooked up and sounding my train horns installed on my truck.if you attempt to put the truck in gear, it immediately kills the engine.
Best $800.00 I ever spent.
Do you mind sending me a pm
in what type of alarm you have and how much it cost if you dont mind cause it sounds just like what I'm looking for cause my last truck got stolen and I dobt want it happening to this one too

Old 05-13-2011, 01:02 PM
MRUGG
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Hemlock10

Very interesting would like to see a couple shoots of the radio and a link to ebay store were it was purchased I looked for it on ebay with no luck.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Factory 2007 F-350 stereo...