6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Budget/DIY Performance Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget/DIY Performance Intake!

I mentioned this in a couple of my postings and since I've been asked to provide the details...here you go!

DISCLAIMER: Not my idea! I found it posted on one of the other sites with the instructions and photos posted by diesel71, Master Diesel Tech @ RP Auto Tech. It's a damn good project well worth passing around...

This modification is done to the stock air-box (although it will work on aftermarket air-boxes too) and is not readily visible for those concerned about their not-so-mod friendly dealership or for someone wanting to keep a stealthy stock look.

The only cost associated with doing this is the purchase price of the drop-in air filter. The aFe PG-7 High Flow OE Replacement (SKU: 71-10107) is recommended for it's ability to flow better than stock and provide the adequate level of filtration while being able to keep up with the higher horsepower tunes like Spartan offers with their 250/275HP tunes or the IDP Xtreme Street (which is what I run) which is 280+ RWHP over stock. Anyone whose tried to run those tunes with the stock air-box/filter (and unfortunately some of the aftermarket CAIs) can tell you that it will suck the filter minder right in under WOT resulting in a CEL...

So for around roughly $80 and a couple of hours of your time, you'll save yourself a nice chunk of change over the cost of a full CAI...money I'm sure you can find something else to spend on!

So here goes:

Topic: 6.4 intake scoop mod -
  • disconnect both the negative battery cables
  • jack up the right front and secure with jack stand.
  • remove inner fender well
  • remove filter top/filter and filter box
  • remove right side battery
  • remove the 4 bolts holding the battery box,there are a few pushpins holding wire Assembly's to the box remove them.
  • the a/c line has a bracket holding it to the box, push the line out of the bracket
  • the washer fluid reservoir is hooked to the box, lift up until you can unhook the washer fluid line and connector then remove.
  • fluid will come out of the line so have a cap ready to plug it.
  • unbolt the bracket that holds the scoop and filter box bracket on the side of the fender
  • there are 2 pushpins that hold the scoop to the fender remove them and the scoop will drop out threw the fender well.
  • now that the scoop is out, drill out the 2 rivets that hold the front bracket to the scoop. you can now slide the front scoop section out and see the difference. rivet or bolt the front bracket back onto the scoop. to install your modded scoop just revers the removal procedure.
Everyone loves pictures, so here's the link to the gallery: 6.4 intake scoop mod -

So what are you waiting for?! Get-r-done!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
very cool.. thank you for the great article.. something I CAN do very easily.

Sam

Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
very cool.. thank you for the great article.. something I CAN do very easily.

Sam
Sam,

You're welcome! Nice to pass along something to the FTE after all the info I've picked up here myself over the years...

Right around a two hour job or so. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone that's warranty conscious either.

Matty

Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
I mentioned this in a couple of my postings and since I've been asked to provide the details...here you go!

DISCLAIMER: Not my idea! I found it posted on one of the other sites with the instructions and photos posted by diesel71, Master Diesel Tech @ RP Auto Tech. It's a damn good project well worth passing around...

This modification is done to the stock air-box (although it will work on aftermarket air-boxes too) and is not readily visible for those concerned about their not-so-mod friendly dealership or for someone wanting to keep a stealthy stock look.

The only cost associated with doing this is the purchase price of the drop-in air filter. The aFe PG-7 High Flow OE Replacement (SKU: 71-10107) is recommended for it's ability to flow better than stock and provide the adequate level of filtration while being able to keep up with the higher horsepower tunes like Spartan offers with their 250/275HP tunes or the IDP Xtreme Street (which is what I run) which is 280+ RWHP over stock. Anyone whose tried to run those tunes with the stock air-box/filter (and unfortunately some of the aftermarket CAIs) can tell you that it will suck the filter minder right in under WOT resulting in a CEL...

So for around roughly $80 and a couple of hours of your time, you'll save yourself a nice chunk of change over the cost of a full CAI...money I'm sure you can find something else to spend on!

So here goes:

Topic: 6.4 intake scoop mod -
  • disconnect both the negative battery cables
  • jack up the right front and secure with jack stand.
  • remove inner fender well
  • remove filter top/filter and filter box
  • remove right side battery
  • remove the 4 bolts holding the battery box,there are a few pushpins holding wire Assembly's to the box remove them.
  • the a/c line has a bracket holding it to the box, push the line out of the bracket
  • the washer fluid reservoir is hooked to the box, lift up until you can unhook the washer fluid line and connector then remove.
  • fluid will come out of the line so have a cap ready to plug it.
  • unbolt the bracket that holds the scoop and filter box bracket on the side of the fender
  • there are 2 pushpins that hold the scoop to the fender remove them and the scoop will drop out threw the fender well.
  • now that the scoop is out, drill out the 2 rivets that hold the front bracket to the scoop. you can now slide the front scoop section out and see the difference. rivet or bolt the front bracket back onto the scoop. to install your modded scoop just revers the removal procedure.
Everyone loves pictures, so here's the link to the gallery: 6.4 intake scoop mod -

So what are you waiting for?! Get-r-done!
done.. 1hour 3 mins..

some things to note:

1. the lower air filter housing won't come out unless you take off the bolt at the body.. (well, it WILL, but you feel like you are bending something
2. you don't NEED to jack up the truck to remove the inner fender..I have a 4/2 and didn't.. it IS hard to see the one retainer screw directly above the tire. 2 screws on the front edge, one center top, one on the back wall, one plastic pushpin screw lower cab side, and 4 screws on the fender edge.
3. the battery box, you MUST move the + lead out of the way, because the washer bottle is attached and sunken into the fender ..
you have to disconnect the leads from the right battery + cable connector to get it up out of the way..

other than that I wasted about 10-12 mins getting tools, looking for washers for the pop rivets, getting the right socket sizes..

my power screwdriver with socket adapter helped a lot.

now to get an aFE filter..

you might ingest a lot more snow with this mod

Sam

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Current record: 63 minutes!

Who's next?!

Nicely done and great feedback for the next person that gives it a shot.

We had damn near 100 inches of snow this past winter and it wasn't an issue (no plowing or anything like that, just regular driving). I likewise did the Zoo-Dad mod and Predator Air-Fury on my '04 Excursion and also never had any snow related issues, but we typically get the real wet heavy stuff around here, not the lighter dry stuff which is much more likely to find its way into the intake...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM
percyad
Junior User
There's a Ford Engineer somewhere in Deerborn saying "oh no, don't take that out - I put that there for a reason!"

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out why?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by percyad
There's a Ford Engineer somewhere in Dearborn saying "oh no, don't take that out - I put that there for a reason!"

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out why?
I would guess, looking at the insert, that this is a deflector.. anything coming in will have to turn 90 degrees and then flow towards the filter.. so this really protects the filter from direct hits, and flows any fluids onto the outer shell towards the drain.

Sam

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
I would guess, looking at the insert, that this is a deflector.. anything coming in will have to turn 90 degrees and then flow towards the filter.. so this really protects the filter from direct hits, and flows any fluids onto the outer shell towards the drain.

Sam
It's also just as likely a "muffler" or other similar type NVH device that quiets the intake noise down like I've seen on other cars. If anyone is actually concerned about hydro-locking their motor, if you're in water that's deep enough to hit the snorkel you have all sorts of other problems and hydro-locking would be the least of them.

Likewise if anyone is concerned about their warranty you can (1) not do it...(d'uh?!) or (2) run this by the dealer that services your truck and get it in writing, this this will not void your warranty. And if your dealer is going to void your warranty for a drop-in aftermarket filter...you need to find another dealer...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

update, I got my aFE filter today, and installed.. so far can't suck the filter minder

tight fit at the housing..

Sam

Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Cool!

Who's next? Helluva way to save a nice chunk of change over buying a full intake...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

well, I'm sad to report that running the Spartan 250hp tune I was able to suck the filter minder again today with the aFE drop in filter..

was going about 10mph when I needed to MOVE.. stomped it, kicked down and spun up.. and the message came on..

Sam

Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
well, I'm sad to report that running the Spartan 250hp tune I was able to suck the filter minder again today with the aFe drop in filter..

was going about 10mph when I needed to MOVE.. stomped it, kicked down and spun up.. and the message came on..

Sam
Ugghhh...that SUCKS, no pun intended...

I really try not to beat on my truck since it's my DD and I use it to tow a bit, and under similar conditions (from a roll at low speed and hammering on it) I've been fine on IDP/Eric's Xtreme Street, which is a little spicier than the tune you're running.

Check the filter itself to make sure it didn't collapse/deform. I know you said it was seated properly so that's not an issue, just curious to see if it held up and if that's part of the problem.

If it is, yank that filter right out of there and put your stocker back in there and either back the tune down, ease off the skinny pedal, or expect the filter minder to trip again; you definitely don't want unfiltered air hitting your turbos, that what K&N filters are for!

I HATE spending money twice, it's not cool. I did this mod to hold me over until I could talk my lovely bride into a full aFe intake. Then I figured I'd just sell the drop-in for about 1/2 price, and if I got the full intake on sale I figured I'd break even, which is about the best you can do when it comes to moddin'! Dropping $80 on something that right out of the box doesn't work just plain sucks...

The "other" site I got this from has quite a few positive reviews from guys running tunes similar to ours without ill effect. One thing that came up that's strange is that some trucks trip a CEL when the filter minder gets sucked in, others, (like my '10) don't; there's no wiring coming out of it, just the big old reset button.

Hmmm...